X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 10-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default people think you are weird

I've been told at a previous job and at my current job that people think I'm "weird" and "scary". Because I don't talk much and have an intense look on my face. I this curse ever gonna leave me alone?
gozinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Maybe you can learn yourself to say some thinks. Like"good morning""bye""see you next week".

I know its hard, but maybe you can act some things like a actor. And if some people say you look wierd. You maybe can say to some of them, that you are a little bit stressed, and thats why you look this way. And you trying to be more relaxed.
dutchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Good idea. Be more relaxed. That sounds really nice.
gozinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozinsky View Post
Good idea. Be more relaxed. That sounds really nice.
This is sarcastic?, I know relaxing is hard, And I dont say you have to be relaxing, but I thought, if you say to your collegees you are trying to be more relaxed, they dont bother you enymore with things like "wow you look wierd, or asking why your so quet.
dutchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

I feel the same way you do,people in general always stay away from me because,I'm not much of a talker.I think they think I don't like them or just want to be left alone.The truth is one,I'm shy the other,I don't feel I have anything interesting yo say.I hate sounding stupid,I'm afraid I will if I don't have something of interest to talk about.I notice most women seem to have no problem just talking and saying what every is on their mind;I envy their ability.I wish I could be that free.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchguy View Post
Maybe you can learn yourself to say some thinks. Like"good morning""bye""see you next week".

I know its hard, but maybe you can act some things like a actor. And if some people say you look wierd. You maybe can say to some of them, that you are a little bit stressed, and thats why you look this way. And you trying to be more relaxed.
I totally agree. As painful as it can be, doing little things like this make a big impact. Give it a try for week. Start with the people you feel (most) comfortable with.
Neptunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have been called weird before. Also scary. The phrase "Sketchy looking shoe bomber type person" came up once. lol.
Medicine Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozinsky View Post
I've been told at a previous job and at my current job that people think I'm "weird" and "scary". Because I don't talk much and have an intense look on my face. I this curse ever gonna leave me alone?
yayyyyyyyyyyyy, people think someone other than me is a weirdo

so people think I'm weird cuz I'm a loner, duh

But in addition to that, I did some weird behavior which has made people now think that I'm a ****ing stalker or something

so that sucks. and it's a small school....kinda like high school
letitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

I remember at a course I did, a guy I became friends with later told me a lot of the people there thought something might be wrong with me because I was so quiet. I get the feeling people think I'm a weirdo wherever I go, lol.
secretlyshecries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

people are going to hate you if you talk too much, people are going to hate you if you talk to little. i say **** them, the ones i always get along with are the ones that never call me out on it. and for those that do, they arent someone i want to get to know anyway.
mrbojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

I usually draw a little smiley face on my wrist and I often will see it and it prompts me to start smiling and not being blank faced and gloomy. It works well. Usually I'll see and think "omg, I'm doing it again, I don't look very approachable. Must look friendly!"
Phibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phibes View Post
I usually draw a little smiley face on my wrist and I often will see it and it prompts me to start smiling and not being blank faced and gloomy. It works well. Usually I'll see and think "omg, I'm doing it again, I don't look very approachable. Must look friendly!"
I'M GONNA DOOOO THAT!

THAT'S GENIUS!!!!
There was a point in time like 7mths ago where I realized that I needed a reminder to make me "wake up" and rip myself out of the SA state of mind that'd I'd get into at certain times when interacting w/people-Cuz obviously, I when my SA kicks in, all rational goes out the window, the way I should behave goes out the window and I turn into a small voiced child

So I wanted to find a piece of jewelry or something to remind me to not let SA take over but didn't find anything and so now I'm gonna use this smiley face thing as the reminder-It's so simple!

letitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phibes View Post
That's a great idea! I usually listen to some music, but can't do that in class. This is the next best thing.
Globe_Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

People defiantly think I am weird. It doesn't help that I have a really eccentric style and I am prone to bouts of delirium. I think what helps me it just trying to relax, and actually look people in the eyes. I take a moment to plan my responses to things so I know I don't sound silly. That means I don't have to stutter trying to get whatever I have to say out an over with.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
imt

I've never been told to my face that I'm weird, but I get the impression that some people may think so. Some people will ask me personal questions, give me funny looks, and just send me bad signals (words, gestures). Like someone said a few posts up, those are people who usually don't know me well and I could give two sh!ts about.
imt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

I've had people think I'm weird as well and it's something I put a lot of thought into. I personally believe it's because people know we feel uncomfortable around them, and they think "what the heck did I ever do to him/her?" because they don't understand what it is we go through every day.

I've come to the conclusion that the only way to avoid this is to extend yourself to people and show confidence. Be the first to say hi and make it a point to smile and/or laugh. This eases discomfort.
cmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

I've been called weird because I don't socialize in the manner they do. This woman in the office walked by me and called my Funny as in there's something funny about you. It was so embarrassing and hurtful to me. I did not know where to go there from there. It was one of those SAD moments. I just clammed up and retreated to my cubical where I just got sad and angry at myself.
lonesome36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:35 AM   #18 (permalink)

People are weird.

Meh, I've had people respond with sorta when I've asked.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:44 AM   #19 (permalink)

I've actually gotten myself into the habbit of talking more often around people I know. The problem is I get too comfortable and talk too much sometimes. That also makes me weird because i am "random" apparently.
daniel1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:52 AM   #20 (permalink)

only when people change how they think
AliceSanKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote