X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 10-31-2009, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Panic Attacks and Crying

Do any of you feel an uncontrollable urge to cry when you have a panic attack? This happens to me a lot and it's humiliating. I know that people can tell something is wrong and the more I try to fight it the worse it gets. I can hide almost every other symptom of my panic attacks except this one.

What do you do to fight the urge to cry during a panic attack?
00Athena00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

No, I actually feel the exact opposite. I want to punch a wall.
Prakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

yeah me too, i get uber defensive and violence prone. in highschool i punched a kid in a wendys drive through. he so had it coming tho.
JoshC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Panic attacks are... unbelievable.

I've only ever had about 4 in my entire life but my god... I couldn't believe it. I thought I was a goner to be honest. I was sure my heart would stop. I then started panicking that I was going to die... and I nearly blacked out. All I could think was, "I hope an ambulance can get here fast enough to save me".

I don't really get the urge to cry, but you shouldn't feel ashamed about it, it's natural. Panic attacks are serious business! Anyone who copes with them gets major kudos from me. You may be sitting in the comfort of our own home, but in my humble opinion... the fear from a panic attack is up there with the fear soldiers fighting a war must fear, if not worse. I know that is perhaps a controversial thing to say but f*** it, I've experienced some scary crap in my life, but nothing comes close to a panic attack.
Personally with me, what I do get, is major panic attacks and I completely lose all ability to control my face. The only expression I can 'do'.. is complete and utter fear.

Imagine sitting next to your friend on a big comfy sofa, watching a hilarious movie, and there is a hilarious line and he laughs his head off and then looks at you to share the experience, and the look on your face is like an escaped psychopath just burst through a glass window with machine gun and a chainsaw and is running right for you.

That's what I have to deal with Saying that it sucks doesn't even do it justice. They are nasty horrible things.
pixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

I developed a close and personal relationship with panic attacks two summers ago and it was horrible. I remember the first one, I thought it was curtains for me. I cut down on my caffeine intake and started to exercise more. I also trained my mind so when I feel that **** coming on I can fight it off, its kinda hard to explain.
IHeartSteveMcQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

I know what you mean pixies! My worst panic attacks have ended with me surrounded by bewildered classmates while I'm passed out on the floor.

I don't get panic attacks very often, but when i do they are always in public. I think they have taught me immense self control, but the crying is the one thing I can't stop. People don't understand why I suddenly start tearing up and turning red for apparently no reason. I usually try to say that I just have bad allergies... but they don't always buy it.
00Athena00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

I don't think I've ever had a panic attack but I do cry very easily (and cannot stop it) if something/someone has made me feel anxious/panicky/overwhelmed. Like this morning, my dad was rude to me and I started trembling and shaking, my heart was racing and I couldn't stop myself from crying. It's really horrible when you have to go somewhere or have something to do and you can't stop feeling like that.
tutliputli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartSteveMcQueen View Post
I cut down on my caffeine intake and started to exercise more. I also trained my mind so when I feel that **** coming on I can fight it off, its kinda hard to explain.
Nice.

It's weird because when I first had a panic attack, I looked it up on the net the next day and it said something like, 'don't fight it, let it happen and don't be scared of it'. I'm not sure whether that made it worse for me or better lol. It is contrary advice to other advice I've seen. I actually nearly had a panic attack today while I was driving... really not good. I came up with a solution that worked great though and I need to remember it.

I did my breathing exercise, in through nose, out through mouth really slow, and I started singing, "Shiny happy people" in my head. It stopped the attack in it's tracks and I'm not sure if it's because the song made me feel happy, or if it''s because thinking of the lyrics took my mind off the attack. Perhaps it was both. But either way, I'm going to remember it for next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Athena00 View Post
I know what you mean pixies! My worst panic attacks have ended with me surrounded by bewildered classmates while I'm passed out on the floor.

I don't get panic attacks very often, but when i do they are always in public. I think they have taught me immense self control, but the crying is the one thing I can't stop. People don't understand why I suddenly start tearing up and turning red for apparently no reason. I usually try to say that I just have bad allergies... but they don't always buy it.

Hmm allergies is a good one! I know people with real allergies who do look like they are crying. But yeah, they suck majorly. The annoying thing about mine is that there is no excuse Everyone is laughing and I have a look of fear on my face. There just aren't really any excuses unless I come up with something nuts like, "I just remembered I left the oven on!" or something, which I would rather not do.

I had one, sat by myself in my room, with nobody home! I was really surprised because it wasn't a social situation at all. Apparently they can be brought on just through general stress and things on your mind.

For me the key is to fight them now, breath and think of funny and calming things. It seems to work, but I haven't had all that much time to practise with it yet.
pixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've only really had one panick attack when I had to do a big presentation in highschool. I felt like I was going to faint but I didn't feel an urge to cry at all, only an urge to get up and run out the door. I remember feeling so completely drained after that.

So yeah, I don't really have any usefull advice, I hardly ever cry, only in the event of a relative/pet dying =/
I guess I'd try to get out of the situation for a bit, if at all possible.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

When I have one I want to get as far away from people as possible.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have them constantly. I don't ever cry during them. I just try and breath through them. My first one though . . . WOOOWEEE . . . I thought I was going to die. I had my dad run me to the ER and made them do a full range of blood tests and heart tests. I thought I was having a heart attack or I was going to be one of those young sudden cardiac death victims because I had something wrong with my heart that I inherited.
bhj867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutliputli View Post
I don't think I've ever had a panic attack but I do cry very easily (and cannot stop it) if something/someone has made me feel anxious/panicky/overwhelmed. Like this morning, my dad was rude to me and I started trembling and shaking, my heart was racing and I couldn't stop myself from crying. It's really horrible when you have to go somewhere or have something to do and you can't stop feeling like that.
I think we're in the same boat.

That sounds exactly like what i experience when i get too panicky/anxious/overwhelmed, i just start crying and shaking and i have no control over it. Last time it happened was at work after a co-worker was rude and shouted at me. I had to run and hide in the ladies toilets and it was a good 15 minutes til i had managed to calm down enough to come out, and even then i was on the verge of crying the rest of the afternoon.
citizen_erased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Unhappy

actually, i'm like you. but only in the crying aspect. i don't cry because i'm having one, but i'll start having one the second i start crying, or ill cry during one as a symptom, not as a reaction to the attack.
my longest attack actually last for about 2 hours.
my doctor said it was just repeated attacks though, but thats a long time.
I'm on medication, but they're no better.
Good luck with your attacks.
theuglyinbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

i cry when i have anxiety attacks, i cant control it
justnicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

I nearly always cry only After a panic attack tho
Natterz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

HI All, My hhusband has recently started sufferign from panick attacks and sarts crying all of a sudden - he feel very down and feels that everyone thinks he is a looser.
It's really hard when it happens and most of the time i feel hopeless and don't know what to do - has anyone got any tips or anything they have tried that can help him and anything i can do to help him?
Friends Problem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

I always cry and my skin tingles all over before a panic attack. It's interesting to see most men express aggression instead...
nessersqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #18 (permalink)

Not really. I feel like I get stuck between my fight or flight stage and just freeze up (heartbeat races, experience depersonalization, start breathing hard, feel like fainting, and just straight up freak out).
Xande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

I've had a lot of anxiety attacks in my life. And at least a few HORRIBLE ones per year. I always cry during an anxiety attack/panic attack. I have to let all those emotions out and I usually end up crying for forever. It's healthy to let out your emotions through crying but be careful to make sure you can breathe. Sorry I know how scary anxiety attacks are
dreamingfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

I cry during panic attacks, yeah. I had one two days ago when I was with my boyfriend and couldn't stop just sobbing, I hadn't cried so hard in so long. Even thinking about it I feel like punching myself in the teeth, if it had been anybody else I would have been so humiliated.
weekdaynachos is offline   Reply With Quote