Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

No Social Skills

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  againandagain 
#1 ·
#3 ·
What if that IS himself though?

I have no social skills and no personality. Every time I talk to somebody I just seem too formal and give all these robotic responses/compliments. This makes it hard to make and keep friends. How do I talk like a normal person, if that's even do-able for me?
I think you just need to practice feeling emotions more. Like stop suppressing them and justt let feelings out so things can go smoother. Plus naturally, people think of "robotic speaking" as "weird" and people that speak with enough emotion (not too much) are well liked.

#4 ·
There is probably social skills training available somewhere near you? I've thought about that before, but I'd have to leave the house for that, so I decided against it :p
I also agree that you should be yourself though - and everyone has a personality, try showing it, don't be afraid.

#7 ·
What sort of things would social skills training involve? I imagine it involves doing things like group discussions and practicing assertiveness techniques.

When you've never been involved in group discussions in your whole life, it's near impossible to open up in a group full of people so I wouldn't go on such training myself.

#8 ·
I wonder if they have this sort of thing (or something similar) at where I work. Either way, adding this to the list of things I should check out.

I can somewhat relate to that. There are times where I am more proper and speak as though I may as well be reading from an English paper or something to that effect. About a week and a half ago, this one lady actually thought I was British (and I wasn't even faking a British accent this time!).

How do people react when they pick that up about you? With surprise? Positively? Negatively?

#9 ·
I can relate. Sometimes I feel like I have automatic responses that come out at the wrong time so I give the impression that I might have not been listening, when I actually was. It's because I get nervous when the time comes to say something myself, because I fear I wont have anything interesting to say to that person, OR my mind just freezes up and I forget about my whole life experience, just what I can say at that moment to get by. It's really frustrating.

#10 ·
I have what you might call a co-dependent relationship, where I rely on my sig. other for most of my needs and getting my needs. I don't smile often, and can't stand small talk. I feel unfit to survive socially in the world, for sure. I am hoping to improve. I am so tired of going to social gatherings, avoiding eye contact/smiling, and generally being a 'killjoy' because I just don't know how to 'be happy and enjoy' myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.