Need a day off. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Need a day off.

I have had the same fulltime job for eleven years. In the last year I have taken one day off for mental health. When I take a day off it feels like I am committing some type of crime. I have professionally diagnosed severe social anxiety, major depressive disorder and gender dysphoria. I have over 400 hours of sick leave built up. What is the best way to not feel guilty about taking a day off? My work will do this big dramatized bull s*** paperwork that MUST be filled out if I take a day off.. sighs.

I took the day off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:35 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Inspired
You have to fill out paper work when you take time off? I've never had to do that, If I want time off I just ask a couple weeks in advance and write it down on the calendar. I have felt guilty about taking time off, like I'm being bad for it, but then I think that I deserve some time for me to relax and enjoy, after all I don't owe my company anything, I get everything done that I have too and we have banked hours for a reason.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:51 PM
I Am Second

My Mood: Busy
Take off! You've earned it. Just prepare beforehand. Use the time you've earned.

~ I don't need my name in lights, I'm famous in my Father's eyes ~ Battistelli

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:57 PM
rainsinger

Good for you for taking the day off for yourself.

Every once in a while I take the day off just for mental health. Some days you're just not there and you know going into work will be useless. I'd take time off if I didn't want to save it for the summer, though even then it's challenging because I feel I accomplish so much less than I feel I really ought to every day, so time away can make me stress about getting even less done, at least until I actually leave. Then I forget about work as I do whatever it is I took the time off for, and it's all there to pick back up again when I get back.

Do you schedule vacations for yourself?

We are the drop, the wave, and the tide.
|ᓴ\___/ᓱ|
╰☆╮╭☆╯
 ⋱/⍚\⋰ 
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
You have to fill out paper work when you take time off?
Yes, and they can and do ask for a doctors certificate for sick leave. It's all in an effort to make you consider not taking the day off and if you do, to make you regret it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senkora View Post
Do you schedule vacations for yourself?
Yes, I take my annual leave one week at a time. For mental health reasons really, I don't go away like normal people. Just sit at home and be introverted.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:22 PM
rainsinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuse View Post
I don't go away like normal people. Just sit at home and be introverted.
Yas

We are the drop, the wave, and the tide.
|ᓴ\___/ᓱ|
╰☆╮╭☆╯
 ⋱/⍚\⋰ 
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:25 AM
N/A

My Mood: Bored
I need a year off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:29 AM
SAS Member

I need to too. I'm losing my **** a little bit. I just know my boss will ask what for and the real answer is i just want to be alone and not work. But i have to bull**** something. plus he's always super busy so it's always a forced situation to ask if i can take a day off.

I dunno. I will soon. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do

Glad you did

a
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:34 AM
SAS Member

We also need to fill out paperwork for time off. People never seem to get beyond the childish mentality of hating you for taking the time off you've earned, I get that all the time. DON'T feel guilty about it, you deserve time off so you don't go insane.
I worked for a company once that didn't grant any time off (or breaks during your shift for that matter). If you were sick, you were fired. So we worked when we were sick. New people would complain about not getting breaks or days off, they were told to get out if they didn't like it "there are plenty of other people looking for work." I suffered there for three long years before I escaped to a 40 hour a week job with paid vacation and breaks.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain Victory.
Through Victory, my chains are broken.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOne View Post
I just know my boss will ask what for
We don't have to give a reason here. I guess one good thing about the paper work is it takes matters out of bosses/managers hands. Maybe you could just say for personal or medical reasons. It would be hard to ask in your situation, I can understand that.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Armed Scissor View Post
We also need to fill out paperwork for time off. People never seem to get beyond the childish mentality of hating you for taking the time off you've earned, I get that all the time. DON'T feel guilty about it, you deserve time off so you don't go insane.
I worked for a company once that didn't grant any time off (or breaks during your shift for that matter). If you were sick, you were fired. So we worked when we were sick. New people would complain about not getting breaks or days off, they were told to get out if they didn't like it "there are plenty of other people looking for work." I suffered there for three long years before I escaped to a 40 hour a week job with paid vacation and breaks.
Yes I hate this mentality, most of the employees even believe it where I work. They act like I'm doing something wrong and risky taking one day off. We have sick hours in our contract for just this.

It would be illegal to not give people breaks and to fire someone for being sick in Australia.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:13 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lurking
Quote:
It would be illegal to not give people breaks and to fire someone for being sick in Australia.
And yet you have to fill out paperwork when you call in sick for the day? That seems silly and petty on the company's part. Although I guess if they don't have a computer system to track sick days and are still using old-fashioned paper forms, then that kind of makes sense for book keeping.

I've worked for Disneyland for 20 years, and I now earn 7 weeks of vacation per year and 2 weeks of sick time that I can use for whatever reason I want as "Personal Days". That's a total of 9 weeks per year of leave, although we have a saying that "We Work While Others Play" so you can't take extra time off during the busy weeks of the year around Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and peak summer weeks. But for the other 9 months of the year you can take as much time off as you are granted, although you need to request vacation at least a few weeks in advance.

If you need to take a day off for mental health, just do it. Tell work you "aren't feeling well" and that's all they need to know.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alweg1 View Post
And yet you have to fill out paperwork when you call in sick for the day? That seems silly and petty on the company's part. Although I guess if they don't have a computer system to track sick days and are still using old-fashioned paper forms, then that kind of makes sense for book keeping.

I've worked for Disneyland for 20 years, and I now earn 7 weeks of vacation per year and 2 weeks of sick time that I can use for whatever reason I want as "Personal Days". That's a total of 9 weeks per year of leave, although we have a saying that "We Work While Others Play" so you can't take extra time off during the busy weeks of the year around Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and peak summer weeks. But for the other 9 months of the year you can take as much time off as you are granted, although you need to request vacation at least a few weeks in advance.

If you need to take a day off for mental health, just do it. Tell work you "aren't feeling well" and that's all they need to know.
Sounds like you have a good job.

HR like to pass the sheet of paper around a lot before any computer is used.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:29 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Yes I hate this mentality, most of the employees even believe it where I work. They act like I'm doing something wrong and risky taking one day off. We have sick hours in our contract for just this.

Technically it is illegal here as well, but they do it anyway. We're not that far from the sweat shops of the 1920's really.
Even at my current job the logic is to punish people for taking time off. When people come back they are given difficult assignments or extra work as they are told "that's what you get for being gone." Petty and stupid indeed.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain Victory.
Through Victory, my chains are broken.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page