Musicians and other famous people with social anxiety that inspire you - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 11-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Musicians and other famous people with social anxiety that inspire you

I play the bass guitar and it is one of my biggest life ambitions in like to become a bassist in a band, I am naturally gifted with music and I know that I have the talent but I just need to be able to find the confidence to be able to show it off in front of people.

One of my biggest inspirations is Maynard James Keenan from the band tool, he appears to me to also suffer from social anxiety and I find it amazing and really encouraging that he is able to find the confidance to front a band. Regularly he preforms facing the back of the stage or in the shadows at the back of the stage and he says he even has to gather a lot of confidence to get that far. If you look at his body language in this interview you can see his anxiety:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ucBFavtHAY

I can also relate with a lot of the lyrics he writes such as:

"Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition, missing opportunities & i must
Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines"

To me this means that if you overthink and over analyze too much its like your body and your mind become 2 seporate entities that clash against each other because you are unable to express with your body what is in your mind, and so this causes you to miss out on so many opportunities in life when you choose to do and say nothing, when you know inside that you should take action or speak up, but its like theres a barrier between your mind and body blocking you that you needs to be overcome.

Another one of my inspirations is Deron Miller from the band cky because I can relate to him alot, he had a hard time at high school with being outcasted and struggled a lot socially and with fitting in, he wrote one song in particular called "to all of you" which was inspired by these experiences:

"The mirror doesn't look like them
I guess it never will
What would you say
If I took a piece for me?
Happiness is your best friend
It doesn't appeal to me
Have you ever seen me?

As I talk it lets you down
You're finally used to me
But they never talk your way

The universe is in your hands
That doesn't appeal to me
What would they say
It doesn't appeal to me
Have you ever seen me?

As I talk it lets you down
You're finally used to me
But they never talk your way

The mirror doesn't look like them
I guess it never will
What would you say
It doesn't appeal to me
Have you ever seen me
?"

People like this really inspire me because it shows that you don't have to let your issues get the better of you and if you are strong enough you can still achieve things "normal" people can't. Im sure loads of the great musicians have various social problems, after all how else would they have found all the time to get that good? So I've decided that I am going to try my hardest not to let social anxiety hold me back from what I want to achieve. One thing I always tell myself, and this is especially true with anxiety issues, is that we have nothing to fear but the fear itself, so we just need to feel the fear but do it anyway

Does anyone else have any people that inspire you to keep fighting against social anxiety rather then just sitting back and letting it get the better of you?

Sorry for making such a long post, and thank you if you took the time to read it
nork123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

The only famous person that I know definitely has/had SA is Donny Osmond.

Morrissey is incredibly shy, but I don't know if he has SA. He's a kind of inspiration, though.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

i dont have anyone that inspires me..but i like to perform music, but im also too scared too. i play piano and keyboard, but i can barely play, let alone sing in front of people
Old 11-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Woody Allen use to make me feel less embarrassed of admitting I had anxiety when I heard he used films to avoid dealing with his.

I've created a website along with a fellow SAS member on Introverts, Solitude and feeling Disconnected from the people around you.
Wehttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Donny Osmond has/had SA? Wow. I would have never guessed that!

With that said, I don't know of any famous people with it. Seems to me if you have gotten to the point of being considered famous your over SA, at least I would consider myself cured. I mean, at that point how exactly is it affecting your life - your successful, probably rich, living your dream for the most part and easily recognizable. Yeah life sucks. If your over it than that might be inspiring, but honestly anyone on this board getting over it would impress me just as much. I never understood the obsession with famous people, we're all human beings. At least that is what I keep telling myself.
VelveteenRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am a musician as well & ultimately would like to do it for a living but SA does hold me back, not because I can't perform in front of people, I usually can, but because I really haven't anything in me for the social aspect of it. If I could just rehearse do a gig & mind my own business it would be fine, but people want to chat, get to know you. And to some degree you need to do so, you need to make connections to keep getting gigs, to form a group, that type of deal. I'm working on my second album right now so after that I'm going to try to get back to performing & maybe forming a group.

As for musicians that are shy or have SA , I can't think of any off the top of my head but I recall many times watching late night shows & seeing entertainers from various fields looking clearly uncomfortable during the interviews.

I think what I find most inspiring more than any one person are the entertainers that live fairly quietly outside of their work. So when they aren't touring, etc you don't really hear much about them. Then they put out an album or film or whatever & do their thing again. That cycle of brilliance & humble living appeals to me

"Je ne comprends pas"

"But a blight had come over my existence...Company was irksome to me;
when alone, I could fill my mind with the sights of heaven and earth...
and I could thus trick myself into a transitory peace. But busy,
uninteresting, joyous faces brought back despair to my heart.
I saw an insurmountable barrier placed between me and my fellow-men"

"Shikata ga nai"

Twitter ~ Youtube ~ Facebook ~ SoundCloud
Canadian Brotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhalo123 View Post
I never understood the obsession with famous people, we're all human beings. At least that is what I keep telling myself.
I completely agree with this, I hate the whole celebrity culture and the whole idolising of celebrity because it makes them seem as if they are so much better than the rest of us. I think people these days get way to caught up in other peoples lives/styles/personalities that they forget about their own and forget that they have potential inside them to do and achieve things aswell.

I don't agree with idolising other human beings, we should all be our own idol's and admire other people in order to keep us inspired and motivated with making achievements of our own.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Brotha View Post
I think what I find most inspiring more than any one person are the entertainers that live fairly quietly outside of their work. So when they aren't touring, etc you don't really hear much about them. Then they put out an album or film or whatever & do their thing again. That cycle of brilliance & humble living appeals to me
Thats what I like aswell, people that don't see themselves as above their fans and don't let the fame get to their heads.

I'll give your songs a listen when I get the chance, I cant right now because i'm at work, I like your lyric you have in your signature
Old 11-26-2009, 02:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

I can't think of any musicians with SA except maybe the dude from Weezer, I think he hid behind a post in an interview once lol

Well I'm a musician myself playing the guitar and would love for it to be my primary job. I don't think I have stage fright, but like someone else had already said, I think i would have a major problem socializing in that scene. Luckily I'm trying to form a band with a really good friend of mine who doesn't give a **** that I'm so damn shy.

In a way, I almost *ALMOST!!!* feel glad that I have SA because i spend every other minute of my free time practicing and learning new songs. I think a lot of you can relate, having so much free time not socializing I try to take it upon myself to put it towards working on something that makes me stand out.
the libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the libertine View Post
In a way, I almost *ALMOST!!!* feel glad that I have SA because i spend every other minute of my free time practicing and learning new songs. I think a lot of you can relate, having so much free time not socializing I try to take it upon myself to put it towards working on something that makes me stand out.
Yeah that is one of the positive sides, instead of wasting time getting drunk every other night and trying to get lucky we can spend our time practising our music, then once you decide to take it outside of the bedroom and get into bands and things you get to meet like minded people and make some great friends
Old 11-26-2009, 04:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

Michael Jackson? Harrison Ford?
Old 11-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #12 (permalink)

Just found out that Carly Simon had really bad stage fright and didn't want to perform for years.
Not really social anxiety. But kind of interesting.

Miss Meggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epril View Post
Michael Jackson? Harrison Ford?
MJ? naah
Pialicious88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

I think Michael Jackson was just shy, I don't think anyone with social anxiety would have been able to dance and sing the way he did in front of tens of thousands of people
Old 11-26-2009, 08:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams, SA and long suspensions and the guy can still run.
pjm1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nork123 View Post
I think Michael Jackson was just shy, I don't think anyone with social anxiety would have been able to dance and sing the way he did in front of tens of thousands of people
Social Anxiety and Performance Anxiety are not the same thing, that's what I was referring to when I said I've seen entertainers who can do their thing onstage/in films & then when it comes to social things like interviews they are clearly out of their element. I'm not sure MJ had SA but he seemed to me a simple shy guy at the very least

"Je ne comprends pas"

"But a blight had come over my existence...Company was irksome to me;
when alone, I could fill my mind with the sights of heaven and earth...
and I could thus trick myself into a transitory peace. But busy,
uninteresting, joyous faces brought back despair to my heart.
I saw an insurmountable barrier placed between me and my fellow-men"

"Shikata ga nai"

Twitter ~ Youtube ~ Facebook ~ SoundCloud
Canadian Brotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

I saw the interview with Maynard James Keenan, he definitely has SAD. His responses to some complex questions gave him away, his body language added to that.
So f**k what you thought,
I'm drinkin' hennessey,
runnin from my enemies,
Will I live to be 23?
There's so much pain.
-Tupac
Ununderstood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Rivers Cuomo from Weezer
Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails
Kurt Cobain from Nirvana

Also Maynard James Keenan is awesome. I love Tool and A Perfect Circle.
MisterJ25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

I posted this last week about Zack Greinke. I think what he's accomplished is fairly inspiring:

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...despite-76721/
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

I really admire Clay Marzo. He's a world class surfer with asperger's syndrome. ESPN recently did a special on him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYKbIM61fAM
jacksondoug3 is offline   Reply With Quote