Mind goes blank, words jumbled & backwards when talking to someone new. - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 06-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mind goes blank, words jumbled & backwards when talking to someone new.

Does anyone else's mind go completely blank when trying to make conversation with someone new? I'll be trying to explain something I know a lot about, then my words will get all jumbled. I've even been known to say words backwards. Is that even normal?! I try to laugh at myself about it, but wow, it's embarrassing.

People who meet me probably think my head is full of air, but those who know me well say I'm very bright.
saara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

I find I don't trust my words when I'm around certain known people, and including new people. Every thought is edited until there's hardly a notion of that thought, and my words come out panicked and jumbled, sometimes interposing letters or words. I find it's easier to ask questions about the other than to talk about myself, at least at first. And to be honest when questioned about one's self.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

I will know a subject so incredibly well but if i try talk to someone about it my mind goes blank,information is flying around everywhere and none of it makes any sense whatsoever.

The joys of SA
Hamtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Derealization - the "zoning out". It is the body's way to say "I am taking on too much, Brain. I need to skip a beat until you calm down." It is a weird feeling, but it is not harmful. Your mind is worried./thinking more than your body can handle.
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Oh boy! yeah totally! even around people i know well. I dont even attempt to redeem myself anymore, i usually make an excuse to get away as i feel a total ***. and yeah i can feel people looking at me like some baboon and on a few occations been called a muppet of people i've just met. my life is like one big job interview.speaking of job interviews i had one for the post some years back and never actually said a word all the way through it which was doubly embarrassing as my brother worked there and was told and in turn he told the rest of the family. nice to meet you!
la la land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

lol. I was starting to think there was something really wrong with my brain. It is horribly embarrassing. It's actually making me want to avoid meeting people again. But that's kind of hard unless I just stay in the house all day long. I hate being so fing akward. I want to kick myself in the head after I walk away from each social screw up.

Nice to meet you too, La La Land.
saara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

yeah, that happened to me and still happens, although maybe not all the time. Usually mind goes blank, when smb is asking you something, for example your opinion and you should give yor answer quickly (especially on meeting). though I know the answer or have knowledges to make right conclusion for my opinion, but the same moment mind goes blank and I can't find any thought inside. oh, no, there is one thought that occupies my mind "fck, I can't find answer for 3,5,7,8 seconds already!!! they will think I am stupid" when I started to analyze why it happens, I came to conclusion that the moment person is asking me a question, I have already defined for myself that I definately have to give right and quick answer. No am taking my time answering, and sometimes I even achieve my goal
fobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Nope - nothing wrong. It just means we are taking on too much.
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Arrgh! I get this all the time! Even talking to my closest friends I jumble up my words. Then it's so embarassing when they say something like: "What did you say?", "huh?".
I make no sense sometimes. I think I just need to relax and talk a tiny bit slower.
SummerShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

I feel that way too. Like people don't understand what I am talking about sometimes. Sometimes I don't understand them or I am missing the point and talk about something kind of off topic. Ugh, it further reinforces my feeling of indifference and isolation. Yet, I know that it just must be part of SA. Sometimes I think I have like, Aspurgers or whatever its called syndrome I dont think so tho should go read up on it actually.
jk3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saara View Post
Does anyone else's mind go completely blank when trying to make conversation with someone new? I'll be trying to explain something I know a lot about, then my words will get all jumbled. I've even been known to say words backwards. Is that even normal?! I try to laugh at myself about it, but wow, it's embarrassing.

People who meet me probably think my head is full of air, but those who know me well say I'm very bright.
its very common

it happens to me a lot. it doesnt nesssecarily have to be someone new, it can happen when im talking to just about anyone
donavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

Happens to me all the time. Like the electrons in my body are on overdrive or something, fizzling out.
trinity18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

My mind goes blank a lot of the time.

Oftentimes it's worrisome and troubling. Sometimes it's a relief.

I try to tell myself it's because I'm so mystified by life.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #14 (permalink)

yea this is a big problem for alot of people with SA, and me too. it's a really big stumbling block when you cant reveal like half your personality, bcuz something stops you being able to express yourself properly.

someone in this forum's chat room suggested SA might affect the part of the brain that deals with speech.

anyone got any thoughts on that?
or a step further, any ideas how to work on this problem?
michael1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

That makes a lot of sense to me about the area of the brain affected by speech. The best way I can control it is to constantly remind myself to stay calm and to slow down...and breathe. If I try to rush, it seems to be worse.
trinity18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity18 View Post
That makes a lot of sense to me about the area of the brain affected by speech. The best way I can control it is to constantly remind myself to stay calm and to slow down...and breathe. If I try to rush, it seems to be worse.
for me it's not even about being calm. even with family or friends i've known a long time, my thinking is just ... i dont know, semi jumbled. online i can express myself 100x better.
michael1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:25 AM   #17 (permalink)

that happens to me a lot. it's such a weird feeling when my head goes completely blank. recently i was asked a question, started talking just for a sec and then forgot what the question was. it's like i realized that i was talking and then got freaked out bc of it and went blank.
1shygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

yes!!! to people that i just met, they would think i don't speak english or doesn't speak it well. cause whenever that happens i do try to say something and it comes out with broken sentences. i hate myself that i can't construct the words right and speak it clearly. although on some days that i feel good, i can talk pretty normal. i do have to remind myself to be calm and take a moment to think.
inkywinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

yeah and i feel tired aswell, it feels like your mind has gone numb
Old 07-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Yeah, definately happens to me. I've improved a lot, but i still sometimes find myself going on and on without saying anything. My mouth is trying to answer a question but my mind isn't backing it up. And also i overreact to the amount of time i'm taking to think of an answer. I think i'm looking dumb for taking so long and end up going "uuuuhhhhhhhh" for the remaining time until i start talking, which makes me feel even more rediculous. Trying to stop doing that now
Wolfos is offline   Reply With Quote