X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 02-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mean People on forums

I am a part of this other forum (sports car related) and it seems that everyone is so rude and sarcastic. I guess I am just hypersensitive and don't cope well with this type of treatment (and maybe just accustomed to the SAS kindness). Does anyone else find other forums to be quite scary? It seems like people online just take advantage of the fact that they're not face-to-face and operate under a mindset that they can just treat other people like S@#$.
Night will fall and the dark will rise when a good man goes to war.
Demons run but count the cost; the battle's won but the child is lost.

Glacial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

A trillion times yes. NSider, IGN, and TVTropes instantly come to mind. This is the only forum I've been to where I don't have to deal with a large number of trolls/*******s. It's also the only place where I've been able to vent where people haven't called me out for being an emo or a *****.
InfiniteBlaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

^Sorry to hear that. I don't get what sick satisfaction people get out of being that way online.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hahaha! (I'm not laughing at you, just the fact that I was thinking about this and talking about it with my girlfriend earlier)

I've been to many forums and yes, they will find anything and blow it into a huge proportion, make a thread directed right at you for the purpose of flaming so everyone can see you fail.

Those kind of threads never made me feel bad, or sad, or anything. Immature people are just immature and will never see things the way I do. I like this place, I havent seen a single flame thread or anything like that. It's calm, and I like that. :]
Old 02-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieHasAnxiety View Post
Hahaha! (I'm not laughing at you, just the fact that I was thinking about this and talking about it with my girlfriend earlier)

I've been to many forums and yes, they will find anything and blow it into a huge proportion, make a thread directed right at you for the purpose of flaming so everyone can see you fail.

Those kind of threads never made me feel bad, or sad, or anything. Immature people are just immature and will never see things the way I do. I like this place, I havent seen a single flame thread or anything like that. It's calm, and I like that. :]
Yeah, it's pretty calm and friendly here and moderated very well. It's hardly an SAS world out there

Old 02-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

On my sports forums the standard way of telling someone you disagree with them is to say they are gay. After that it just gets worse.
LALoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Half the things people say on the internent they would never say face to face with someone
Kennnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALoner View Post
On my sports forums the standard way of telling someone you disagree with them is to say they are gay. After that it just gets worse.
Ain't that the truth.. =\
Old 02-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't envy people who treat others like dirt at all. Someone who feels good about making others feel bad doesn't understand their own emotions or feels too bad about themselves to appreciate the idea of being above someone without taking them down fist. That makes me sad and sorry for them and knowing such people myself I'd be inclined to forgive them out of geuine sympathy. To be the worst of the hate-filled, anguished is to lose the initiative in such contests. If I were ever so upset that I'd play, it'd probably be worth making sure the other person felt worse off at the end of the exchange so I think you can probably expect more of the same from the people you're dealing with there. I can sypathize though, noone likes confrontation even if you know who you hear it from has a problem too. Just write them off m8 they've got nothing to tell you about yourself you don't already know. I'd trust what the people who knew me had to say not them.

"Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm: for love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as the grave: the coals thereof are coals of fire, which hath a most vehement flame."- Song of Songs

"It was love that brought them back to life: the heart of one held inexhaustible sources of life for the heart of the other."- Dostoevsky
fredbloggs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Pretty much any forum dominated by young males will be like that. If there's one thing wrong or different about you or if you act different in any way, you get ostracized and teased. I think spending extensive time on forums like that has definitely given me a bleak view of the world and fed my sense of inadequacy.

Having separated myself from people like that for a while, I'm still not completely sure if there actually are nice people somewhere in the world, or if everyone is that mean and they just put up a front and act tactful in real life. To wonder if going to the store will surround me with mean-spirited forum-posters that are constantly analyzing my every fault and tearing me down inside their heads is pretty much the essence of social anxiety.
Morke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

One of the reasons I hang out in this forum.

Very mature posters and some serious discussions which relate to our lives (depending which sub-forum you read).
Ivan AG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

This is the only forum I ever post in, people are actually extremely nice and welcoming here unlike every website Ive been a part of (imdb, youtube, and gamefaqs come to mind) Those sites scare the living crap out of me to actually just post in lol
Old 02-22-2011, 05:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Uhm, the only other forum I like to visit is just in TeamLiquid.net, Starcraft 2 forum and the people are nice so far. I don't know about other forum. But sometimes, in a forum like here, the biggest blow might be having 200 something people read someone's thread but there's just one reply. Nothing wrong, they probably don't have anything to say to the person making the thread, lots of threads out here. But still.

Maybe it's normal, I don't know. I don't go to forums much.
fictionmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

4chan is notoriously nasty. I don't even know why I visit that site, because I usually regret it. Could it be that most people, deep down, are just *******s? That, given anonymity, they'd be no better than the /b/tards? It erodes my faith in humanity, it really does.

Up until very recently, I was addicted to reddit. It's more civilized than 4chan, but people can still be very harsh and hostile. There's also the voting system, which means that you're pretty much constantly judged on what you post. I would obsess over the votes and replies that I got. I took it all way too seriously, and I let the environment there really bring down my self-esteem. Certain replies also sent my anxiety through the roof. I had a very unhealthy relationship with that site, which is why I had to quit.
LatchKeyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Youtube omg its nasty
CopadoMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

yeah I don't like youtube either and some of the comments on the videos are just horrible.
suddenstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saving Face View Post
I am a part of this other forum (sports car related) and it seems that everyone is so rude and sarcastic. I guess I am just hypersensitive and don't cope well with this type of treatment (and maybe just accustomed to the SAS kindness). Does anyone else find other forums to be quite scary? It seems like people online just take advantage of the fact that they're not face-to-face and operate under a mindset that they can just treat other people like S@#$.
Car forums seem to be the worst for me. Everybody acting like whatever they have or do is the best ever. You can't explain anything to anyone because they already know everything . Every car forum I have been on for long I have been banned from lol. I don't like it when people are mean so I get angry lol.Then I get crazy. Then I troll. Then I get banned . SAS is such an awesome forum! Everybody I have talked to here is really nice and considerate of other people.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #18 (permalink)

I feel you! I just became a member here and t feels...right on here. Everyone is so understanding!
hitthelights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #19 (permalink)

Everyone's an internet tough guy when there's no consequence to what they're saying. The really mean ones are better left ignored/pitied.
MaddyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #20 (permalink)

There are a lot of bitter and twisted people out there and posting cruel uncalled for comments anonymously on a forum is just another outlet for them.
Probably hurt little kitty cats and puppies in their spare time.
SilentWitness is offline   Reply With Quote