Literature or movies that have deeply affected you - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
■■■■□□□□

Literature or movies that have deeply affected you

Has there even been something you've watched or read that was so resounding or profound that it's influenced your outlook on life? Here are some things that have deeply affected me:

Les Misérables: The world is cruel, unfair, and unforgiving, and god turns a blind eye on the weak; these motifs are perpetuated throughout the book. However, from just single acts of courage and good-will, the characters find the strength needed to live on and find meaning to their existence. It's a very dramatic story that deals with hopelessness and redemption, and I was amazed something written more than a century ago could affect me with its themes.

Gattaca: In the future, your success in life is determined before you're born, and the genetically weak or ugly have no place in society. The main character has dreams to go on a Saturn exploratory mission, but since he didn't have the genetic traits, he was relegated to custodial jobs and living life as a second-class citizen. He's been dealt the worst cards possible in life, his parents consider him a lost cause, and he will die at the age of 30, but he's never given up on the dream he's had since he was a child. I don't get emotional over movies, but this just hit that spot for me at a time when I was at my very lowest. It really got me to rethink my life and how I was giving up on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 06:03 PM
SAS Member

Location: In a land where the people are just as cold as it is outside aka WI
40 year old virgin. Probably my most likewise scenario at this point except without all the hilarious moments.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 06:52 PM
SAS Member

Z is for Zachariah

When i was in 7th grade i read "z is for zachariah." it was about a girl living alone in a valley after nuclear war, and she thinks she's the only one left, but then an older man in a safe suit comes to the valley, and he ends up trying to take over and control her and everything and she doesn't feel safe anymore, so in the end, she has to trick him, she takes his safe suit and leaves the valley, and sets out to find if there are any other survivors in other places. The book totally gave me the chills. It made a really big impression on me. For some reason, I felt I needed to remember it.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 07:04 PM
SAS Member

Rudy

One movie that I saw recently that really made me feel good was Rudy. Just to see everything that he went through and how he never stopped believing in his dream to make the team. And to see the end scene where he was finally able to make his dream come true, even if it was only for a short period of time, is just an amazing thing. It makes you want to believe in dreams coming true again.

Another movie that I really like, another underdog story, is Rocky. To see someone who everybody thought was a nobody take the champ to the final bell is just plain awesome. And what to me really makes it is he knows that he probably won't win, but if he can just do something that nobody else has done, he'd be satisfied with that. In the end he might not have won the fight but he won in life, he did what he set out to do and he got the girl that he was in love with just to me makes it an awesome movie.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Mackinac Island Fanatic

My Mood: Sad
Oh my God, where would I even start? I think just about every book I've ever read has affected me in some way. Sometimes even the trashiest or stupidest book can make me think, "I can do better than that!" and so I do.

I could list various works that have especially affected me, but they don't make much sense out of context of my personal interests. (I don't tend to be affected in just a lifestyle/personal outlook manner by books.) I have arcane interests, and whenever I find a good informative or interesting book on said interests, it really affects me, even if only to teach me new things or inspire my own writing. The vast majority of my writing has been affected by what I read.

Oh Jeez I could blither forever. ;_; I'll just summarize with books have deeply affected me, period.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 05:11 PM
Whistling in the Dark

My Mood: Grumpy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
One movie that I saw recently that really made me feel good was Rudy. Just to see everything that he went through and how he never stopped believing in his dream to make the team. And to see the end scene where he was finally able to make his dream come true, even if it was only for a short period of time, is just an amazing thing. It makes you want to believe in dreams coming true again.

Another movie that I really like, another underdog story, is Rocky. To see someone who everybody thought was a nobody take the champ to the final bell is just plain awesome. And what to me really makes it is he knows that he probably won't win, but if he can just do something that nobody else has done, he'd be satisfied with that. In the end he might not have won the fight but he won in life, he did what he set out to do and he got the girl that he was in love with just to me makes it an awesome movie.
Am I a cynic for finding these movies incredibly cornball? Not that they aren't good movies, but they're such feel-good sap that it doesn't resonate at all to real life for me.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 04:55 AM
SAS Member

waking life.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"Better than a hundred years lived in vice, without contemplation, is one single day of life lived in virtue and in deep contemplation."
- Dhammapada
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 05:10 AM
Permanently Banned

Recently: "No and Me" in English, by the French author Delphine de Vigan, a very moving novel partly to do with homelessness but I won,t give too much away in case anyone wants to read it,
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 06:03 AM
working dem streets

Life and death in Shanghai, saved me from deppresion at age 9

Join The KIK Skype Group!
#socialanxietypeeps And Skype,add zeak:16
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 07:01 AM
SAS Member

Believe it or not, but "Lethal Weapon" (1-3) very well affected me positively. The guy has lost his wife and a girlfriend after that, and still he hasn't given up his life and continued to joke around all the time and find himself a new wife as well. Just kind of attitude that, I think, everybody should have. No matter what past experiences you have, you live here and now, so - screw the past!
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 07:28 AM
Professional Failure

Donnie Darko because it reminds me of a time in my life where I was the happiest I've ever been. I haven't watched it in a long time because I'm saving it for an occasion when I can say I'm truly happy again.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 08:01 AM
No Stars on Thars

I have been watching the Japanese TV series called "ATARU." It is about the title character, who is an autistic savant who helps a pair of detectives solve cases. For some reason, I find I really connect with the title character. I am much more on the "high functioning" end of the Autism spectrum, but I still find parallels to my own life. I'm so glad there is a hero character out there who has Autism!

Also, believe it or not, Star Trek has really influences me. Again, this is due to a strong character with similar personality traits to my own: Mr. Spock. I feel that Spock is very similar to people with Asperger's syndrome, and, again, it is awesome to have a hero character like that to look up to.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 08:02 AM
low
Permanently Banned

For fiction, LotR actually. The books are more serious than the movies. They aren't really depressing when you're coming from a reading for the fantasy experience but there is a theme of struggling through hopelessness, changing world and lots of parallel interpretations.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 08:39 AM
low
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless Sneetch View Post
Again, this is due to a strong character with similar personality traits to my own: Mr. Spock. I feel that Spock is very similar to people with Asperger's syndrome, and, again, it is awesome to have a hero character like that to look up to.
There's definately something to that. I've had similar thought processes on vulcan demeanor (which is based of stoicism) and having a serious personality. I've realised some Aspergers and autistics (at the functional end) have sorts of literal, rational leanings and are less emotional. And I think some males who a lot of people just pass off as 'miserable' aren't *really* but are a part of this sort of spectrum. Maybe not Aspergers or Autistic themselves. Or maybe Autism at the more functional end is a part of the regular spectrum of human behaviour (less 'mental illness). I'm still putting it together.

I strongly suspect there is a crossover or a blurring of some sort. I think it is important it is recognised. I see society, for example employment; is social focused. And if you are a stoic naturally, you are effectively discriminated against. I know I write about a certain issue a lot and this isn't that topic but I think it's really relevant because these social traits - smiles, outgoing, banter: they are all feminine. And I think about 10% of males and some females are what I call stoic. That reserved-literal, intravert-serious disposition. And it's causing a lot of people to be effectively ostracised.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 09:30 AM
No Stars on Thars

Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
There's definately something to that. I've had similar thought processes on vulcan demeanor (which is based of stoicism) and having a serious personality. I've realised some Aspergers and autistics (at the functional end) have sorts of literal, rational leanings and are less emotional. And I think some males who a lot of people just pass off as 'miserable' aren't *really* but are a part of this sort of spectrum. Maybe not Aspergers or Autistic themselves. Or maybe Autism at the more functional end is a part of the regular spectrum of human behaviour (less 'mental illness). I'm still putting it together.

I strongly suspect there is a crossover or a blurring of some sort. I think it is important it is recognised. I see society, for example employment; is social focused. And if you are a stoic naturally, you are effectively discriminated against. I know I write about a certain issue a lot and this isn't that topic but I think it's really relevant because these social traits - smiles, outgoing, banter: they are all feminine. And I think about 10% of males and some females are what I call stoic. That reserved-literal, intravert-serious disposition. And it's causing a lot of people to be effectively ostracised.
Yes. Besides the stoicism, Aspies (and even SAD sufferers) have a hard time understanding human social behaviors and why we must participate in them. I, for one, find a lot of social protocols baffling and inefficient. Just as Mr. Spock cannot understand human behaviors, I cannot either.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 09:38 AM
User Requested Permanent Ban

Thus Spoke Zarathusta by Nietzsche is a big one. Always new wisdom to gain from this book. As far as film goes, Taxi Driver - really identified with Travis Bickle, as I'm sure a lot of people with SA do. There are others I'll add later, but I'm blanking right now because I just woke up.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Permanently Banned

Mein kampf , and a second book about hitler , when I read I realized he wasn't evil like most people like to think of him , and that he owed his evil status to non other than the united states , like much other world figures like che Guevara who got their publicity from the US
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 10:05 AM
Nowhere Man

My Mood: Bored
I read Notes From Underground by Dostoevsky when i was like 20. It marked me deeply.
So many truths were told in that book... I don't know if many people here or people with anxiety in general can relate to it, but i can, i do relate a lot to the Underground Man:

I am currently reading The Pigeon by Patrick Süskind the same guy from The Perfume. Pretty disturbing yet amazing book. It quickly became one of my all time favorites and i haven't even finished it yet!:

I don't think a movie has had a profound impact on me. The one i can think of as making me obsess about it was Stalker by Andrei Tarkovsky:

“I swear to you gentlemen, that to be overly conscious is a sickness, a real, thorough sickness.”

- Fyodor Dostoevsky Notes From The Underground

"It’s noble to be timid, illustrious to fail to act, sublime to be inept at living....”

- Fernando Pessoa The Book Of Disquiet

"Praying for the wave to come now
It must be for the very last time
It's twelve o'clock till midnight
There must be someone to blame..."

-Manic Street Preachers Australia
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 10:43 AM
BSOD

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

It taught me that the "perfect world" that everyone wants can't exist. You can't have happiness without sadness. It made me appreciate being different. Blindly following a trend just because everyone else is doing it isn't going to guarantee happiness.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 11:54 AM
SAS Member

awesome thread! will have to come back and make a huge list of things to read now >
ummmm how about eh bell jar? potent stuff

anything by steinbeck

music of Opeth/Vivaldi

Last edited by kkanne20; 10-25-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: added more info

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page