X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 07-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Letting People in your House

Does this bother anyone else? It makes me unbelievably anxious.

I currently have a cable guy wandering all over my house drilling holes in walls and doing other cable guy things. I'm painfully aware of every speck of dust and item out of place and I feel like he can see them all and is secretly appalled by them. I hate the fact he's seeing everything I own and I have this strange desire to justify all my trinkets and furniture choices. I am hiding in my room with the door closed, but this won't work for long as he has to drill holes in here too.

Does anyone else have this problem of allowing others in your house or apartment? People who try and "pop-in" can usually be convinced you're too busy to entertain, but I get this even when I'm expecting company or with repair/cable/delivery workers. It just makes me feel too exposed. I can count on two hands the number of non-family that have been inside my house in the last 5 years, and I was incredibly on-edge every minute they were here.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Letting People in your House

Yes I can certainly relate. I hate it when people come round unannounced I have bad memories of people I went to school with visiting me and making fun of my things After that I used to put everything away if I knew they were coming and I couldn't get rid of them. I remember hiding a few times when there were people at the door I was so anxious it was unbelievable.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

He is just a cable guy, not Martha Stewart, he will notice nothing
Old 07-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

When I ever I did odd jobs at someones home. I didn't care why the furniture was the way It was. Or why the carpet didn't match the furniture. To me it didn't matter. You shouldn't have to justify what you bought. Its your home. If someone doesn't like your unique choices then that's their problem.
not_so_cloudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it. Those guys are in like 30 houses a day.. they are probably sleepwalking through the whole process anyway and have seen everything imaginable already.

One time the cable guy asked to use my bathroom. I was like surrre.. although it was kind of weird.
inthecave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

I get a little paranoid if my place isn't clean or the bathroom isn't clean while they use it. But I don't really feel bad considering that there are houses out there, which are a lot worse.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have the same issue! Not one of my friends have ever seen my room, and rarely do I ever let them into my house, and when I do, I am on the verge of a panic attack the entire time! When friends unexpectedly drop by, I really get anxious and start to panic!
malibubarista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

My house is my sanctuary and someone coming in always feels like an invasion.
Amocholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

i know what you are going through, i will turn my shower on and hide in my bathroom when i hear a knock at the door. i dont like to answer my telephone either.
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori
i know what you are going through, i will turn my shower on and hide in my bathroom when i hear a knock at the door. i dont like to answer my telephone either.

Oh God, I used to relate to people's posts, this time I feel that I really have SA.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

I don't like people coming in to do anything, but sometimes they have to. I haven't had anyone else come in a long time to do something. I think 5 years ago was the last time someone came into my house to do something and that was the satellite guy to hook up the dish. I was thinking about getting satellite internet, but I hate having people come into my house. So I stick with dial up.
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

I definitely have issues about letting people in the house, but that's probably because we have no living-room furniture and almost everything we own is either made out of plastic or has been completely destroyed by my cats. Also because all the visitors to our house in the past five years have been either my dad, some kind of repairman, a police officer, or a social worker. Luckily I go to school in a different borough and live kind of in the middle of nowhere, so I don't have to worry about my friends wanting to come over.
Eilicea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #13 (permalink)

It is crazy to hear the great lengths that we go through to have people not come into our house!
malibubarista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Yeah i have trouble too in fact i was gonna get a phoneline installed (i've been using wi-fi up til now) but the thought of having someone in my living room without flooring (i'm currently reflooring my house too) would make me die of embarrassment cos he'd probably think " wtf ? is this how this guy lives " and i'd feel really or sumfin so yeah i think i'll put the phoneline thing on hold til my reflooring project is finished.
Also when the online grocer delivers the food i always ask him to leave it at the door cos i'm kinda funny bout strangers being in unless the place is spotless ( i know paranoid OCD freak talkin) lol.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yeah, cause I'm a major slob (not QUITE reality-TV-cleaning-show level, but about halfway there) and there's also always some kind of renos going on. Plus I live in a trailer park, and I feel like people judge me for that.
jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

This was depressing at the time and now I find it funny.

I invited all the grads from my last company to my flat. I have two toilets and figured it would be ok to let people come thru my room to use the ensuite one.

So like, half way thru this girl comes up to me, looking at me like I was a bunny rapist.

"I just heard something about you" she says.
"I heard you have odd taste in books" she says, looking at me side on

She left 5 minutes later and NEVER spoke to me again.

Note to people inviting those around their houses.

If you have just bought books on demonology, possession, psychology and the reign of Hitler, hide them.
On to concentrate on bright things Stuck around in hopes to help, didnt seem like there was much left I could do anymore ... good luck and comfort to those who are on their own path and hope for those yet to take their first step! Much Love
yeah_yeah_yeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

^^ ^^

This is huuuuge for me. I hate my house. Hate it hate it hate it. I don't like ANYONE coming in who doesn't live here. It was ridiculous the amount of drastic measures I used to take to avoid people actually seeing where I live. Mostly this is because it's just a piece of **** duplex, but you know, privacy reasons also.

Last summer we had someone come in and install a new bathtub. The bathroom is right beside my bedroom, so I didn't feel like I could hide in there. It's the only bathroom, and I had to be careful when using it as the entire door was off at the time and the dude was coming in and out of the house with supplies. Ughhh anxiety provoker or what.
IllusionOfHappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Bon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah_yeah_yeah
This was depressing at the time and now I find it funny.

I invited all the grads from my last company to my flat. I have two toilets and figured it would be ok to let people come thru my room to use the ensuite one.

So like, half way thru this girl comes up to me, looking at me like I was a bunny rapist.

"I just heard something about you" she says.
"I heard you have odd taste in books" she says, looking at me side on

She left 5 minutes later and NEVER spoke to me again.

Note to people inviting those around their houses.

If you have just bought books on demonology, possession, psychology and the reign of Hitler, hide them.
Nevah;-) I would have replied "I just heard something about you being a some sort of rude ***** too"
Old 07-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

Yeah she was ... but I had literally never thrown a party like ever, it was the first so i was just wanting everone to have fun.

I have ditched that bunch now - seriously they were the most judgemental, shallow bunch of corksuckers I ever met.
On to concentrate on bright things Stuck around in hopes to help, didnt seem like there was much left I could do anymore ... good luck and comfort to those who are on their own path and hope for those yet to take their first step! Much Love
yeah_yeah_yeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Bon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah_yeah_yeah
Yeah she was ... but I had literally never thrown a party like ever, it was the first so i was just wanting everone to have fun.

I have ditched that bunch now - seriously they were the most judgemental, shallow bunch of corksuckers I ever met.
Been there, done that, (type of friends) I still wrestle with some of hte issues. Used to have people over all the time. Anyone that judges in sense like what happened to you, has to have insecurity issues of their own.

But as I just said to someone in a PM. My home, is my personal castle, If I invite someone over, they have to mean something to me, if I invite them to eat, then I care about them.