X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 07-18-2010, 03:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kissing on the cheek

We had a major event at work yesterday. It involved socializing with a big crowd of people all day. I did a variety of tasks including working the ticket booth for the prize giveaway. I was also the main guy in charge of organizing the prizes.

Anyway, after it was all over the owner of the company invited us all out to dinner at this really great restaurant and it was all on him. I ended up drinking four or five glasses of wine but that didn't stop my social awkwardness.

As everyone was saying their goodbyes, this woman (who I think is really hot which probably contributed some to the awkwardness) came over to my table and leaned her face down to mine and turned her cheek toward the front of my face. I didn't know what to do so I sort of tried to give her a hug I guess and we ended up bumping our temples together. Hot temple on temple action!

Was I supposed to kiss her on the cheek? I've been working there for three months and we don't even work in the same department though I do interact with her on a daily basis. I wish I knew what was socially acceptable. I see people sometimes greet each other with a kiss on the cheek but I can never tell if they're really kissing or if it's an illusion and they're really just kissing the air.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb3485 View Post
We had a major event at work yesterday. It involved socializing with a big crowd of people all day. I did a variety of tasks including working the ticket booth for the prize giveaway. I was also the main guy in charge of organizing the prizes.

Anyway, after it was all over the owner of the company invited us all out to dinner at this really great restaurant and it was all on him. I ended up drinking four or five glasses of wine but that didn't stop my social awkwardness.

As everyone was saying their goodbyes, this woman (who I think is really hot which probably contributed some to the awkwardness) came over to my table and leaned her face down to mine and turned her cheek toward the front of my face. I didn't know what to do so I sort of tried to give her a hug I guess and we ended up bumping our temples together. Hot temple on temple action!

Was I supposed to kiss her on the cheek? I've been working there for three months and we don't even work in the same department though I do interact with her on a daily basis. I wish I knew what was socially acceptable. I see people sometimes greet each other with a kiss on the cheek but I can never tell if they're really kissing or if it's an illusion and they're really just kissing the air.
Well I'd have to be there to determine whether or not it was an invitation for a kiss. As it was during the goodbyes and since she is female and leaned her face in towards you as you described, then it would seem likely she was expecting a kiss.

Just turn your head slightly, press your cheek to hers and make the kissing sound. You don't have to even make contact with the lips, as long as your cheeks touch and there is the sound of a kiss. Since you think she's hot, why not place some actual lip on those tender cheeks next time.

Even though you don't know her that well, it seemed to me like a signal that she thought we were worthy enough for physical contact.
Ameles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here in Latin America we used to salute to woman that way with a kiss on the cheek. Beetwen man we salute each other with a handshake but with women is a kiss. Actually its not a kiss, but just kiss on the air as you said. This always make me a little nervous, when you have to say hi to someone and you don't konw wheter say hi, kiss her on the cheek or wathever.

It's really not your fault, you don't use to say good bye to a women in that way. So, don't worry about it.

P312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Its funny, most people I know, don't do the kiss on the cheek good bye thing, but I know two people who do so every-time to everyone. Yet I don't see them that often and always end up forgetting their procedure and making kind of an awkward mess. Somehow it always works with my grandma though, LOL.
introvert33 is offline   Reply With Quote