X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 03-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
mbs

Default Joining the military?

Good or bad idea for one who suffers from mild anxiety.
mbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

i dont really think my brother has SA, but he was definitly quiet and really reserved. now he's in the military and it's kind of forced him to be more vocal, confident, and what-not. so just judging from that i'd say it might actually help
VipFuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

i recommend it. i joined when i was 19 for three years. it helped my SA and it introduced me to a lot of things that (because i hardly went outor had friends due to SA) i was ignorant about. there are a lot of things that sucked about it but overall it was a good experience. the only thing i would have changed about it is staying in instead of just doing 3 years

Forty-Two years ago, I came to America from communist Cuba so I might have a better way of life, a freer way of life- a more democratic way of life. I wanted to live the AMERICAN DREAM where if you worked hard and put your mind to the task, anything was possible.

-Mel Martinez

http://www.itcanwait.com/
nubly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipFuj View Post
i dont really think my brother has SA, but he was definitly quiet and really reserved. now he's in the military and it's kind of forced him to be more vocal, confident, and what-not. so just judging from that i'd say it might actually help
Yep, the military is all about discipline and forcing yourself. On the battlefield, if your leg gets blown off, your training tells you to still move. If you lose an eye, your training tells you to keep looking. If you have SA, your training tells you that you still have to speak, nice and loud.

It's no walk in the park, though, it's quite rough, and this is a long thing to dedicate to. But if you're truly desperate, by the very nature of it it should help.
formaltide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Regardless of how it impacts SA, i think it's a good option for someone who's life is going nowhere. It would be like an adventure and spark things up in your life if change is what your looking for.
La_Resistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've thought about joining as a form of suicide even though i'm pacifistic and against most wars in principle. The only thing that stops me is the fact that I might get braindamaged or all my limbs blown off and then my family will have to deal with me like that.
But what exactly is social anxiety? It’s the experience of apprehension or worry that arises from the possibility, either real or imagined, that one will be evaluated or judged in some manner by others.
screwjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have bad SA at times and definitely general anxiety and even depression, and I joined the Marines. Didn't seem to help much, but I had no trouble tolerating training.
natevines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

The military isn't going to cure your sa, but it will help you learn how to handle anxiety provoking situations. It's a good option if you have nothing else going for you since they will give you money for college among other things.

Screwjack, it really depends on what job you have and what branch of service you go into, which will decide your chances of getting your limbs blown off. The branches of service that usually go into war have jobs that aren't on the battlefield, so I hope you also take that into consideration.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

For me it was a good experience. Everything is regimented, so if something is embarrassing it is externalized more. Example: When you pass by an officer you are expected to salute and greet them. Since you know what is expected of you there's no room for "what will they think if I do this" type of thoughts.

Of course there will be some very embarrassing situations too. When you screw up in basic training everyone BUT you will punished, putting the spotlight on you.
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Take it from a 20 year vet. It did nothing for me as far as curing my SA. It made it easier as far as discipline due to the fact that I basically did what I was told and kept my mouth shut. Never got into any trouble whatso ever.
quietman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #11 (permalink)

why join the army? why not join something that will actually help people and something that might not lead to you having to kill someone one day.

Imagine if all the money that goes into weapons and training people how to kill went into 3rd world countries, helping unemployed/homeless people in your own country, teaching you a trade/skill etc. whats gona help your SA more, learning how to put a bullet in someones head or learning useful ways to actually help people.

just under $600 billion this year for the U.S military budget...............WTF???
companioncube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by companioncube View Post
why join the army? why not join something that will actually help people and something that might not lead to you having to kill someone one day.

Imagine if all the money that goes into weapons and training people how to kill went into 3rd world countries, helping unemployed/homeless people in your own country, teaching you a trade/skill etc. whats gona help your SA more, learning how to put a bullet in someones head or learning useful ways to actually help people.

just under $600 billion this year for the U.S military budget...............WTF???
Yeah to arm us to protect us from countries like Cuba, or some other small 3rd world country. If we just stop doing the crap that is making others hate us and start being the leader of helping others in the world we would be better off.
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BildungsRoman View Post
apparently, as of 2005, having SA disqualifies one from joining the military:

Current or history of anxiety disorders (anxiety (300.01) or panic (300.2)), agoraphobia (300.21), social phobia (300.23), simple phobias (300.29), obsessive-compulsive (300.3), other acute reactions to stress and post traumatic stress disorder (309.81) are disqualifying.

I was actually seriously considering joining, even though I suffer from extremely severe anxiety, basically as a last recourse before the last resort. after just finding out about the above, it looks like I'm done for.
I had never been diagnosed with SA, but had been for ADD. There's no central database they check. I got in no problem
Old 04-14-2009, 03:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

I'd rather not be cannon fodder. Moot to me now, as they wouldn't take a guy as old as me.
UltraShy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #15 (permalink)

Bildungs, I wouldn't worry about it. If you think you can handle it then check the no box for that question. Lots of people see professionals for their problems, but that doesn't mean that they're unfit for the job. It's highly unlikely that they will go into your medical records just from my experience reading the questions that they ask at the meps station.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #16 (permalink)

You also will not be able to take any phsyc meds or counseling. You can pay out of pocket for a civilian doctor and not inform them. A lot of guys with PTSD do this because of the stigma the military has for phsyc disorders.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:02 PM   #17 (permalink)

Location: East Coast. Occasionally I may be located at an anime convention.

I've thought about it quite a bit. But aside from SA I do have health problems, one of which is this genetic issue that affects my knees. Long story short its in a way that it takes twice the effort for me to run like another person.
SilentLoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

Just a heads up for the people who think "disqualifying" means you have no chance of getting in, take a breathe of relief, it doesn't. All it means is that when you talk with your recruiter, you will most likely need a waiver for the SA before going any further. It will be looked over, then accepted or denied. So you've still got a shot.
UncertainMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbs View Post
Good or bad idea for one who suffers from mild anxiety.
Maybe, i always thought the trouble with the military from an SA sufferers point of view is that you'll be putting yourself up for a lot of critisism and possibly a degree of bullying which SAers don't tend to handle too well. If you think you can hack that then fair enough, go for it, otherwise might be best you tackled some more of your SA.
UKPhobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:14 AM   #20 (permalink)

I wanted to join, but recruiting ends at 25 here, and while I was still 24 at the time, the next recruitment phase started after I turned 25. **** happens. Same with police here.
landersen is offline   Reply With Quote