X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 04-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is SA more common in males or females?

This has most likely been discussed before, but I want to see others opinions.
Yankees1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Males by far. Although with all the expectations females face in society, I wouldn't be surprised if more females are diagnosed with SA or something thing.
TheTruthIsOutThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've heard statistics that say SA is 4 times more common in women.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

- Albert Einstein

"You must do the thing that you think you cannot do."

-Eleanor Roosevelt
northstar1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Guys duuh
Droidsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

http://psychcentral.com/news/2006/10...women/312.html

Quote:
Gender does appear to play a role for certain types of anxiety disorders and phobias, finds a new report from Harvard Medical School. “Coping with Anxiety and Phobias” is a publication that examines hormonal and biological factors, as well as differences in experiences, that may account for the disparities.

Women are twice as likely to suffer from panic disorder or social phobia compared with men, and they are three times as likely to have agoraphobia (fear of being in public places). They also face a slightly higher risk for specific phobia (fear of a particular object or situation). About 10%–14% of women will have post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in their lives, compared with 5%–6% of men. And 6.6% in women will have generalized anxiety disorder, but just 3.6% of men will.

Differences in sex hormones may be a factor. Scientists know that estrogen interacts with serotonin—a neurotransmitter involved in regulating moods, sleep, and appetite—but they’re just beginning to tease out the relationship.

Girls and women are also more likely than males to be victims of physical or mental abuse, a known risk factor for PTSD.

Childhood abuse also seems to cause long-term changes in brain chemistry and structure that may predispose individuals to anxiety disorders.

While anxiety affects women in greater numbers than men, it’s by no means strictly a female problem. At some point, one in five men will develop an anxiety disorder.
With that said- even if guys where more likely to have anxiety or the other way around, it really does not mater. We are all here cos we have anxiety problems, and we are trying to work threw them . Who has Social Anxiety, genderly does not mater. This site is not a competition - it's not about whose particular brand of SA is the worse, who suffers more than whom, or who has the right to call their problems Social Anxiety.
Aella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Location: Leading a cult in the forests of Eastern Central N.J.

according to statistics its far more common in women which i think is a little inaccurate. but statistics are based on numbers. those numbers represent people. people are then broken down into gender. men are NOTORIOUS for being in denial of having problems due to the weakness label it carries. with there masculinity in the crosshairs men will avoid anything that has to do with help or treatment. since people mean numbers and the numbers mean statistics the accuracy of those statistics can only be based on who is physically presented themselves for treatment. looking at the statistics on women and men who have anxiety disorders may make you feel bad about yourself as a man but you want to know where that deficit in men with anxiety disorders can be found ? look up the statistics on men with alcohol or drug addiction problems. thats where you will find em. and even then like i said earlier a huge bunch of men will still be in denial so that statistic will not be very accurate as well. i also speak from experience. not as an addict but sitting around people for some time and seeing all the performances that men do to try to hold on to there masculinity while dealing with emotional life disturbing psych issues.
" Dad died and I slipped in a coma, I was awake but I listened to no one. I was distant, I was pissed off, I was the last living Christoff, and I was angry with the other side of my window. A side that I wasnt built for. A side that I wasnt fit for. Convinced I was better off indoors, untill my pills run out and my killed buzz makes me sick till I refill my script up "

Derek Christoff a.k.a D-Sisive
Dr Hobo Scratch MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Hobo Scratch MD View Post
according to statistics its far more common in women which i think is a little inaccurate. but statistics are based on numbers. those numbers represent people. people are then broken down into gender. men are NOTORIOUS for being in denial of having problems due to the weakness label it carries. with there masculinity in the crosshairs men will avoid anything that has to do with help or treatment. since people mean numbers and the numbers mean statistics the accuracy of those statistics can only be based on who is physically presented themselves for treatment. looking at the statistics on women and men who have anxiety disorders may make you feel bad about yourself as a man but you want to know where that deficit in men with anxiety disorders can be found ? look up the statistics on men with alcohol or drug addiction problems. thats where you will find em. and even then like i said earlier a huge bunch of men will still be in denial so that statistic will not be very accurate as well. i also speak from experience. not as an addict but sitting around people for some time and seeing all the performances that men do to try to hold on to there masculinity while dealing with emotional life disturbing psych issues.
That's an excellent observation.
BoringBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think it's more common in women.
"Now, typically I wear pajamas, but I recently adopted a hobo lifestyle and pajamas are the sleep-pants of the Man. I'll have you know, Mahatma Gandhi wore no pants and a nation rallied behind him!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory
DeeperUnderstanding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
i love reading your post's. very knowledgeable
Old 04-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
well stated--- and not to sound weird, but I am also from Central NJ
Yankees1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

I think it's women.
BobtheBest is offline   Reply With Quote