Involuntary Psyhicatric Treatment for People with Severe Anxiety and/or Agorphobia - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 07-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Involuntary Psyhicatric Treatment for People with Severe Anxiety and/or Agorphobia

I think there should be laws that require the Involuntary Psychiatric Treatment of people with severe anxiety problems, that leads them to being a miserable shut-in, and if they refuse to get help.

There's forced treatment for those people deemed by a court to be a danger to themselves or others (in a physical way), but from my personal experience I think a miserable person who's suffering with anxiety problems and being a shut-in and refusing to get help is also a danger to themselves and to the people around them (who they live with, even their neighbors), because when someone is so miserable for so long they attract negative energies and events into their lives and into the lives of the people who are around them.
In my case, I had severe anxiety and was a miserable shut-in and I refused to get psychiatric help, this lasted for about 6 years, and in that time I attracted a lot of negativity into my life that effected me and the people around me (my parents, who I live with). I even now think my anxiety problems have effected my neighbors negatively, who I don't know.
In our case, my dad ate a lot of bad food as a result of living with me and my problems, and got 3 heart attacks at a young age. He is still very weak and lethargic all the time and it's hard for me to be around him and see him as a shell of the person he was a few years ago. My mother is weak and always says how old she feels. I feel this is all due to me and the negative forces or energies that I invited into our lives because of my anxiety problems and being miserable for so long and refusing help.

Someone could be a threat physically due to mental illness, but I also think (from personal experience) that someone could be a threat in a non-physical way, in that by being very unhappy and suffering and refusing to get help, someone with severe anxiety who is miserable long enough can attract negative non-physical energy into their lives that negatively effects the physical and emotional health of themselves and those around them, like who they live with and their neighbors.

That is why I think forced psychiatric treatment for people with severe anxiety problems who refuse to get help should be forced, by law, to get treatment, before their sick mind attracts non-physical energy that is harmful and dangerous to themselves and the people around them.

-Charles Baudelaire
shana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Not everything that happens around you in your life is your fault, people make their OWN decisions and your place in this world isn't to gather up and absorb other peoples' responsibility for the bad decisions they make.

When I was a young teenager, I became mentally unwell and was forced to undergo involuntary psychiatric treatment. I say involuntary, because I didn't really have much of a choice, firstly, I was a minor, so nobody really listened to me anyway and secondly, my parents were told that if they didn't consent, I'd be taken into care. I didn't want to taken away from my family, so I had to go along with it. It ruined what was left of my childhood, it ruined any chance I might have had at being a normal teenager and I went through absolute hell, masquerading as something broadly referred to as mental health care. It was 15-20 years ago, I'm sure they've made progress since then, but it's something I'd be very reluctant to indulge in again.

My father didn't know how to deal with my depression and anxiety, he became an alcoholic and spent years on end being emotionally abusive to me, I eventually stopped defending myself against his abuse because I could see that it was causing my mother and my sister a lot of emotional pain, eventually the strain all this placed on my family, contributed substantially to my parents' separation.

But.... I was NOT to blame for these things, I didn't CHOOSE to become mentally ill. I refuse to accept responsibility for a load of so called qualified professionals with a cupboard full of pills, destroying my youth by turning me into a science experiment and I refuse to accept responsibility for a man; who I still love very much, being too proud and self-centered to gracefully accept a mentally weak and vulnerable boy into his life, whom he once lovingly referred to his son, I also didn't force him to hit the bottle, he did that all on his own.

They all made their OWN decisions. Nobody at any point asked me whether I'd like to be mentally ill, I didn't have a say in the matter and neither did you.
Dark Shines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience as a minor. But I do have a theory that when a person is suffering and really miserable for a long time (due to mental illnesses like severe anxiety and being a total shut-in that they refuse to get help for) they attract negative energies into their lives which harm them and the people around them. That was my experience.

-Charles Baudelaire
Old 07-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

When a person is unwell for a long time, it's inevitable that their condition will affect the people around them, especially people who care about them, but a child doesn't come with a guarantee. When you decide to have a child, there's always a chance that they may end up going through a spell of ill-health in their life that might sadden you or bring you down, that's an albeit unwritten part of the arrangement. Being affected by the well being of those you care about, either negatively or positively, is also a fundamental part of people having relationships with each other.

You didn't force yourself on your parents, they had you, it was their choice to take on the responsibility of having a child and all the things(both good and bad) that come with it. I'm genuinely sorry to hear about your dad's poor health, but why do you blame yourself for him eating a lot of bad food? I don't mean for a moment to sound cold, but he chose to do that, you didn't force him to. I know a lot of men who eat bad food for no other reason that they just like it, but assuming that he did turn to food as a means to cope with your problems, that is how he chose to cope with them, he could have chosen another, less destructive coping mechanism, but he made a choice, it's the same with my father and alcohol, it's not my fault that he decided to go down that route.

With regards to your opinion, what about the many people with social anxiety who are so crippled by the condition that they would be terrified by the prospect of being "rounded up" and "forced to receive treatment"? What about the inevitable string of suicides that would occur and what about the feelings of the families of the people in question? Under some circumstances(such as mine), having treatment forced on me actually created more stress and misery for me and my family than was there before hand. Presently, I know for a fact that me dealing with my own problems according to my own schedule is far more productive than engaging in therapy would be because of my prior experiences. I am quite frankly petrified of the prospect of getting involved with the mental health system in my country again, I sweat, hyperventilate and tremble when I go to see even a GP or family doctor. So I can only say that forcing me to have treatment that I am so utterly fearful of would cause me a serious amount of emotional distress, I don't frankly know how on earth I'd react to be honest, but it truly wouldn't be a positive thing for me or my family.

There's very rarely one angle to the prospect of forcing people into therapy or anything for that matter. Mental health is so complicated and peoples cases and experiences vary so widely, that I'm not sure it would be as universally beneficial as you might think.
Dark Shines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

I definitely agree that being a shut-in would be a very negative thing of which little good would come, and probably a lot of bad. However, I think it's really the family or person they're living with's place to push them into getting treatment, not the government. If someone is so stuck and in denial of getting help that they would need the police to forcibly make them get treatment, I can't see that ending well at all for anyone. You have to be willing to change to make any improvement in anything, after all.
It's the path I've chosen to go"
CoreyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

The experience of being in a psych ward is known to be traumatic (esp. for those who have been involuntarily committed), so why would you think forcing people who are already so afraid of others into treatment that they don't want would be good for them? All that would do is create more distrust of others.

People w/ severe anxiety and/or agoraphobia need to see that the world is not as dangerous of a place as they think it is to get better. Forcing someone into a psych ward would not be the appropriate way to achieve this since it is usually a hostile/chaotic environment.
tea111red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyX View Post
However, I think it's really the family or person they're living with's place to push them into getting treatment, not the government. If someone is so stuck and in denial of getting help that they would need the police to forcibly make them get treatment, I can't see that ending well at all for anyone. You have to be willing to change to make any improvement in anything, after all.
Unless I was Baker-acted and physically harmed myself or a family member, there was nothing my parents and sister could have done to get me to seek help. Actually, my mother begged me at times to hit her or physically harm her, so she could Baker Act me. I was horrible to live with, and my parents threatened to throw me out of their house many times, but they knew I wouldn't know what to do if I was thrown out of their house. They begged me to see a mental health professional, but at the time I refused, because I knew they would put me on medication and at the time I was scared to go on medication again.

-Charles Baudelaire
Old 07-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

I've been told many a time that I make other people as miserable as I am
Creepy Little Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy Little Clown View Post
I've been told many a time that I make other people as miserable as I am
Yes, me too, by my family who I live with (who are the only people I interact with on a daily basis.)
I think that Law of Attraction stuff is true, in that if a person is really suffering and miserable for a long time and refuses to get professional help, that they invite negative, bad energy and events into their lives and also into the lives of the people they live with (in my case, my parents.) So, the harm the person inflicts on themselves and those around them isn't physical, it's spiritual and non-physical harm. This was my personal experience, when I was miserable and refusing professional help a few years ago.

-Charles Baudelaire
Old 07-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shana View Post
Yes, me too, by
my family who I live with (who are the only people I interact with on a
daily basis.)
I think that Law of Attraction stuff is true, in that if a person is
really suffering and miserable for a long time and refuses to get
professional help, that they invite negative, bad energy and events into
their lives and also into the lives of the people they live with (in my
case, my parents.) So, the harm the person inflicts on themselves and
those around them isn't physical, it's spiritual and non-physical harm.
This was my personal experience, when I was miserable and refusing
professional help a few years ago.
I've seen plenty of psychologists/psychiatrists/therapists over the years, I think I even manage to bring them down, as I only last about 3 sessions. Ha I've just started with a new one, let's see how that goes
Old 07-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Bur

I just wish there was some kind of intensive therapy available period. I don't even need to be an inpatient at some kinda social rehab centre. I do wish there was some specific treatment for it.

Yes yes, I know what you're all thinking, there "is". It's called living your life. You know what I mean though.
Bur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

You can not use "he attracts negative energies" as an argument that a person is a danger to himself and others. Also I would say it is downright silly to think that you are the center of the universe and everything is a function of your mental state, because trust me it is not.

Even if you believe in this "law of attraction" nonsense, then your father and mother are also subject to it and their thinking and energy or what not also draw things to them. However more likely then not your dad just ate bad food because he liked it, and would have eaten an almost identical diet if you moved out.

I am far from a libertarian, however this is clearly a case where the government should have no involvement in, you problems are yours and your family's and its up to you guys to sort them out. If you see an issue that you think can be resolved through therapy its up to you to seek it out, if you refuse to and your family thinks you should they can give you an ultimatum such as "Go to therapy or we will kick you out of the house." or something akin to that.
Kozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

I asked my psychiatrist if I could try that electro-shock treatment, but she said they don't do it in this country. Boooo
Old 07-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bur View Post
I just wish there was some kind of intensive therapy available period.
There is intensive therapy available: flooding. It's the intense form of cognitive behavioral therapy, where they throw you into difficult social situations immediately, without giving you time to adjust by starting with easy social situations. It probably doesn't work so well for people who also lack social skills, though.
Dylan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

I really don't like the idea of involuntary treatment for social anxiety disorder. Firstly, I would feel very resentful about it and would refuse to participate. I assume the same is true for many sensitive and anxious people with the disorder. Secondly, social anxiety disorder is not treated in psychiatric inpatient facilities. There wouldn't be enough room or funding for inpatient treatment, and treatment should involve exposure, which can't really be done in a hospital. As for involuntary outpatient treatment, it would be difficult to implement, and people would just lie about social exposure or lie about taking medication.
Dylan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I think there should be laws that require the Involuntary Psychiatric Treatment of people with severe anxiety problems, that leads them to being a miserable shut-in, and if they refuse to get help.

There's forced treatment for those people deemed by a court to be a danger to themselves or others (in a physical way), but from my personal experience I think a miserable person who's suffering with anxiety problems and being a shut-in and refusing to get help is also a danger to themselves and to the people around them (who they live with, even their neighbors), because when someone is so miserable for so long they attract negative energies and events into their lives and into the lives of the people who are around them.
In my case, I had severe anxiety and was a miserable shut-in and I refused to get psychiatric help, this lasted for about 6 years, and in that time I attracted a lot of negativity into my life that effected me and the people around me (my parents, who I live with). I even now think my anxiety problems have effected my neighbors negatively, who I don't know.
In our case, my dad ate a lot of bad food as a result of living with me and my problems, and got 3 heart attacks at a young age. He is still very weak and lethargic all the time and it's hard for me to be around him and see him as a shell of the person he was a few years ago. My mother is weak and always says how old she feels. I feel this is all due to me and the negative forces or energies that I invited into our lives because of my anxiety problems and being miserable for so long and refusing help.

Someone could be a threat physically due to mental illness, but I also think (from personal experience) that someone could be a threat in a non-physical way, in that by being very unhappy and suffering and refusing to get help, someone with severe anxiety who is miserable long enough can attract negative non-physical energy into their lives that negatively effects the physical and emotional health of themselves and those around them, like who they live with and their neighbors.

That is why I think forced psychiatric treatment for people with severe anxiety problems who refuse to get help should be forced, by law, to get treatment, before their sick mind attracts non-physical energy that is harmful and dangerous to themselves and the people around them.
Do NOT blame yourself for your dad's health. Obviously he was at risk for heart-attack. Did he eat right? Did he exercise? Does he smoke? What's his weight like. Any heart attacks in his family? (don't bother answering, not necessary.) People often DO look rough after a few attacks. Even if he fits none of those things, his heart attacks were not from you. You CAN blame yourself all you want, but he was at risk.
Same goes with your mom's stuff.

Wanna know something? Parents give and give and give. (Unless they have to do 'tough love' for various reasons.) But parents CHOOSE to give and obviously they care very much about you, have stood by you, and let you live there as well. These are CHOICES they have made. They DO have choices.

FORCED PSYCHIARTIC care would be nice in a perfect world, but ONLY in a perfect world where people WANTED to get help but were AFRAID to get it. (It sure could have come in handy for me at one point., I have agora.)

We just can't go around 'committing' people though. There are laws to protect us as well. Meaning that NO ONE can force care on us.

There was someone here in town that was very sick and the family tried to do 'forced' care (wanted the health care system) to FORCE medication on him (a.k.a.- injection) and they would not. Unfortunately, they permanently physically harmed a family member. It is going through the court system, that the health care system had failed him and his family, but we're talking about murder, not emotional stress.

Your parents are and were adults. They had a choice to have you live with them. No matter how ill you were (or are) they DO have a choice. I know you feel guilty, but blaming yourself will make you feel worse. You did not 'do' anything to them, that they were not willing to accept.

Forget about negative energy. Usually illness carries negative energy. (Probably tons of us on this forum feel the same way.) Try to concentrate on getting well. That's a good way to spend your time, rather than feeling guilty. Spend your time on you and getting well. That's what counts right now.
Best wishes.
roadwarrior48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

I do see what shana is saying, though I think you are all taking it to seriously, as if she believes in voodoo magic or something.

The jist of the argument is that your mood affects those around you, and vice versa. We rub off on each other, that's what people do.

I can agree with this. Since I moved in with my two room mates some 6 months ago I can definitely see how I've affected them. They both used to pretty outgoing people, with a solid friend group, going to parties every weekend, very energetic, always on the phone, etc.

Now that they've been living with me, they seem to be reflecting me a bit. Now they just sit around on the weekends, complain they have no friends, and mope around, sleep a lot, and sit in and play video games every weekend. Its sad. I've slowly watched them become more depressed over time. I was hoping that they'd more so rub off on me, and I'd get out more... which did sorta happen early on.

But now its just sad... I feel terrible for bringing them down with me like that. I never asked for this condition myself, and the last thing I'd ever want to do is bring it onto those around me.
jimjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior48 View Post
Try to concentrate on getting well. That's a good way to spend your time, rather than feeling guilty. Spend your time on you and getting well. That's what counts right now.
Best wishes.
Ok, and what does "getting well" mean? Does it mean making friends, and/or being happy? Or going out of my house without worrying if my neighbor is out of his house (which he always is)?

-Charles Baudelaire
Old 07-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok, and what does "getting well" mean? Does it mean making friends, and/or being happy? Or going out of my house without worrying if my neighbor is out of his house (which he always is)?
Yes, that is my interpretation of 'getting well'.

Do not get me wrong here- I am not being sarcastic or rude.

Getting well to me WOULD be making friends, being happy and not worrying whether my neighbor is out of his house.

What about you? Is that what being well would mean to you?

Specifically, being well to me would be the things I cannot do. Right now in my life, that means date or travel, fly on a plane, etc.

Years ago, being 'well' to me meant:- being able to leave the house in the daylight. OR - leave the house at all. Or go to the grocery store. Catch a bus and actually stay on it. Drive. Now I can do a lot of the things I couldn't before. I don't know if you relate to any of that or not.

Are you agoraphobic? Because that is much tougher than just social anxiety. (not to minimize social anxiety).

****On another note- i noticed that you are very much concentrating on attracting negative.

You've read the Law of Attraction, as have many others. (By which author did you read?)

I have NOT read it. Do you know what? I just had that book sitting here on my coffee table and returned it yesterday. I did not read it. I am not doing well right now, in fact I'm having a really ugly relapse of anxiety and depression.

I actually returned that book without reading it because I thought that that message is NOT what I need in my head right now. I'm doing so poorly that I don't want to know that I'm attracting all the negative crap in my life, which perhaps I AM. (and whatever else it says in that book, I don't know because I haven't read it), but I'm pretty sure I'd feel doomed right now if I read it. Seriously. It would make me feel more hopeless.

In fact when my best buddy read it a couple years ago, she gradually let go of our friendship because I was very depressed, and she wanted healthy people in her life, and would sheepishy mention that she needed positiveness in her life. I understood what she meant. I'm not sure that i even blame her. It's not fun having depressed friends. But it was because of what she learned in the book and just wanted me to stop being in a depressed state which I couldn't do for her.

Anyways- I know I will read that book on of these days, but when I am less depressed or anxious. I have been looking forward to reading it, but it's not the time for me.

This is just my story and thoughts.
roadwarrior48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior48 View Post
What about you? Is that what being well would mean to you?

Specifically, being well to me would be the things I cannot do. Right now in my life, that means date or travel, fly on a plane, etc.

Years ago, being 'well' to me meant:- being able to leave the house in the daylight. OR - leave the house at all. Or go to the grocery store. Catch a bus and actually stay on it. Drive. Now I can do a lot of the things I couldn't before. I don't know if you relate to any of that or not.

Are you agoraphobic? Because that is much tougher than just social anxiety. (not to minimize social anxiety).

I have NOT read it. Do you know what? I just had that book sitting here on my coffee table and returned it yesterday. I did not read it. I am not doing well right now, in fact I'm having a really ugly relapse of anxiety and depression.

I actually returned that book without reading it because I thought that that message is NOT what I need in my head right now. I'm doing so poorly that I don't want to know that I'm attracting all the negative crap in my life, which perhaps I AM. (and whatever else it says in that book, I don't know because I haven't read it), but I'm pretty sure I'd feel doomed right now if I read it. Seriously. It would make me feel more hopeless.

In fact when my best buddy read it a couple years ago, she gradually let go of our friendship because I was very depressed, and she wanted healthy people in her life, and would sheepishy mention that she needed positiveness in her life. I understood what she meant. I'm not sure that i even blame her. It's not fun having depressed friends. But it was because of what she learned in the book and just wanted me to stop being in a depressed state which I couldn't do for her.

Anyways- I know I will read that book on of these days, but when I am less depressed or anxious. I have been looking forward to reading it, but it's not the time for me.
Yes, I think that would be happiness for me. I just have trouble making friends.
No, I'm not agoraphobic (anymore), And I'm still trying to get control over my social and generalized anxiety, but I do avoid doing a lot of things I should be doing because of anxiety problems.

I went through a phase a few years ago, when I was a shut-in, miserable, refusing to get help or medication, and I started reading all of these New Age books on the Law of Attraction. I can't remember the names, but I read a few! I got rid of all of those books a while ago!! But some of the ideas I read there stuck with me.

-Charles Baudelaire