X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 05-17-2007, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default introverts/extroverts and bullying

I went to the bookstore and skimmed over the introvert advantage as someone recommended it to me. Good book by the way.

But what we all know is that extro's need outside stimulation, intro's don't because they have a lot of internal stimulation. If intro's are out partying or socializing too much, they get drained, because they have too much energies battling, and are depleted internally, whereas extro's need more. In short, intro's have more energy all inside them, thats why they think so much, ponder, imagine, and get lost in thoughts. Extro's do not have a lot of energy internally, thats why they need to chit chat, stay busy, and physically move around a lot etc.

So that makes me think of the bullies. They are so external and they feed off of that, so they make fun of people just by what they "see" externally. They don't think, they just run off at the mouth without being able to help it. It doesn't occur to them that it may "hurt" someone because they are not internal at all and do not think.

Since intro's are outnumbered three to one, we were the targets of this. So extro's found something about us stimulating and mouthed off about it, and us thinking so much, internalized it and globalized it, and ruminating over it. Its just two different natures and its not really "personal." Anybody agree?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h38srxvt6qE
embers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: introverts/extroverts and bullying

You can rationalize it anyway you want and believe it to be true. That is something I don't believe because introverts as well as extroverts get picked on.

We can debate why, maybe its cuz they are dorky and just don't get it or maybe it's because they never took the time to learn how to socialize. Maybe some people like making fun of others to mask their own insecurities. We shouldn't put it on one point because that is oversimplifiying things.

Why would it matter? Don't let Mean Mark who bullied you in third grade give you problems TODAY.
Move past that ****. Build the social skills to recognize what to do in those situations.
LoverBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
You can rationalize it anyway you want and believe it to be true. That is something I don't believe because introverts as well as extroverts get picked on.

We can debate why, maybe its cuz they are dorky and just don't get it or maybe it's because they never took the time to learn how to socialize. Maybe some people like making fun of others to mask their own insecurities. We shouldn't put it on one point because that is oversimplifiying things.

Why would it matter? Don't let Mean Mark who bullied you in third grade give you problems TODAY.
Move past that @#%$. Build the social skills to recognize what to do in those situations
You make a good point, but this might be directed more towards people who aren't as "progressive" as you in their therapy. Those who might be dwelling on what bullies did to them in the past, can see maybe it wasn't so personal and it just might help them get past it a little bit more. Good day.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h38srxvt6qE
embers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am an introvert, and despite all the negatives that people give it(which I couldn't give a crap why), I am proud to be an "innie". First of all, I have always been very careful to think before I speak. There are too many people in this world who talk too much, and have absolutely nothing to say. Growing up, I was bullied for being "different". Has it changed me? Nope, not one bit. In a lot of ways, I like being a person who likes to do his own thing. As always, if people don't like it, too bad. The bullies LOST!
BeachGaBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote