If you're depressed, you're living in the past. If you're anxious... - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 05-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default If you're depressed, you're living in the past. If you're anxious...

"If you're depressed, you're living in the past. If you're anxious, you're living in the future. If you're at peace, you're living in the present." -Lao Tzu

I got this off my grandmother's facebook a few months ago..
Do you think the quote is true?

I think I believe it
xTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

What if you are both anxious and depressed, as I am (and I think I'm not the only one)? This math would say you're at peace and living in present
zerevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

No. Plenty of people live in the past and future without showing any symptoms of depression and anxiety whatsoever.
d low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d low View Post
No. Plenty of people live in the past and future without showing any symptoms of depression and anxiety whatsoever.
Yup. The quote implies that the past and future are bad and the present is good, which is not always teh case. One of the most ridiculous quotes I have ever read.
InfiniteBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerevich View Post
What if you are both anxious and depressed, as I am (and I think I'm not the only one)? This math would say you're at peace and living in present
I'm depressed because I miss my past, and I'm anxious because i'm worried about future events even if it's within the next few minutes or next year.
But i'm not thinking about today, what to do today or how to enjoy myself.

That's just generally speaking ;P

If I only thought about today and what i'm doing at current time, I do think life would be a lot more simpler !
But that's definitely too hard to live by :P, for me anyways!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTaylor View Post
If I only thought about today and what i'm doing at current time, I do think life would be a lot more simpler !
Right now, maybe.

But if you were say...getting burned by a flamethrower, or even taking a very difficult exam, you would not be at peace at all.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d low View Post
I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's implying that everyone who lives in the future or past is anxious or depressed, I think it's saying if you have one of these symptoms maybe that is your problem.

Because I know people who are all sorts of excited for the future and that's what they look forward to.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteBlaze View Post
Right now, maybe.

But if you were say...getting burned by a flamethrower, or even taking a very difficult exam, you would not be at peace at all.
Lol, very true
Old 05-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm anxious, depressed, and sometimes at peace. You know what that means? I can time travel!
CrimsonTrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Right now, maybe.

butttt if you're able to just focus on taking the exam and not be worrying about what your grade will be and what will happen if you fail and beating yourself up for not studying more before, etc., you will probably do better and suffer less.

as for the flamethrower example, I got nothing. but I do think it's valuable to learn to focus on the present.
BKrakow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

Sometimes these sayings really irk me,they occasionally contain some good advice but too often it just doesn't hold up. Try out this message on a woman with 2 little kids whose just been evicted -Or someone just diagnosed with terminal cancer. However,if you gain some insight from it,then hold onto it. You're very young and haven't yet been inundated with feel good platitudes - eventually you'll tire of them.

"Never try to appear to be more than you are but always try to be more than you appear."
Still Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKrakow View Post
butttt if you're able to just focus on taking the exam and not be worrying about what your grade will be and what will happen if you fail and beating yourself up for not studying more before, etc., you will probably do better and suffer less.

as for the flamethrower example, I got nothing. but I do think it's valuable to learn to focus on the present.
Okay, so maybe the exam is a bad example, but still. **** happens in the present is all I'm saying.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #13 (permalink)

Well it's just a witty saying or quote imo.It has some truth to it, but I don't think whatever emotion a person is feeling means that they are "living" in the past,future or present...they could be just visting or passing through. ;-)
the collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #14 (permalink)

Without reading all the other replies, some of which I see give good reasons for disagreeing and which make me modify my response, I think the quote can often be true. I'm pretty sure it is in my case, at least. I'm depressed because I'm anxious, but the depression largely stems from bad/broken friendships and letdowns (the past); the anxiety is over the fact that I can't make friends and even if I do, it'll just go wrong again (the future). So, while you can't use it to describe EVERYBODY with anxiety or depression, I don't think it's wise to just completely write the quote off, it could have some validity for some people. IMO.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island

I'm a go-getter! I go and get it. Then I bring it back!

"Don't overthink the metaphor, Cartwright!"
tehuti88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #15 (permalink)

There is truth in the quote. But anything can be interpreted different ways.

I know that if my mind is 5 seconds ahead of the conversation I am in then I am anxious. If I am present in the moment then I am free of anxiety.

I think that being present just allows me to make the most of the very moment I am in. I wish I was present more often.

Quote:
Right now, maybe.

Maybe a thought.. If you were getting burnt by a flamethrower would being mentally in the past or future limit the pain you are in?

matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm depressed because I miss my past, and I'm anxious because i'm worried about future events even if it's within the next few minutes or next year.
But i'm not thinking about today, what to do today or how to enjoy myself.

That's just generally speaking ;P

Exactly! There is no time for living our lives with so much distraction from depression and anxiety.

I like the idea of living in the future, at least one step ahead of the present, but not this way. Everything I think about the future is anxiety-driven.
zerevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #17 (permalink)

Location: Leading a cult in the forests of Eastern Central N.J.

Quote:
"If you're depressed, you're living in the past. If you're anxious, you're living in the future. If you're at peace, you're living in the present." -Lao Tzu

I got this off my grandmother's facebook a few months ago..
Do you think the quote is true?

I think I believe it
its one of the basic biological evolutionary manners in which your brain works. life experiences alter physical connection in your head. your mind is always going to be rehashing the past and based on the contents of the past that somebody else ( parents, peer groups ) or you yourself unconsciously labeled in a certain manner with all the emotional **** that comes along with it. from that content your mind will project it into a imagined future scenario painted with all the emotional **** from the past.

people live there lives there. thats the beauty of meditation. it show you a 3rd option. the present moment where you can see your mind constantly going back and forth without being so caught up into it. i like to think of it ( buddhism ) as the next step in human evolution. its the route all humans are going to have to go one day if we wish to survive because the way it seems belief in everything else outside of finding out how you work internally always seems to collect a large bodycount.

only humans can develop that awareness. but you can see this way of how things work easily with animals. picture a rabbit that someone has as a pet. most of the time there fat and lazy because there entire day consists of eating sleeping and being carried around the house like newborns. now picture a rabbit thats out in the wild.

there freaking nervous wrecks. freezing at any slight noise. they have strong reason to be. at every stage of there life everythings out to get em. owls, foxes, raccoons and my dog are just waiting to tear into them. without that manner in which the brain operates they would be incredibly easy to catch. due to past experiences of being chased around the yard rabbits haul a** out of the yard when the door opens. i keep my dog in a pen when outdoors and i think the rabbits have a understanding of a fence and its purpose because they continually make multiple nests in the yard due to the foxes on the other side of the fence waiting to get them but never coming into the yard due to the dog. rabbit ingenuity at work
" Dad died and I slipped in a coma, I was awake but I listened to no one. I was distant, I was pissed off, I was the last living Christoff, and I was angry with the other side of my window. A side that I wasnt built for. A side that I wasnt fit for. Convinced I was better off indoors, untill my pills run out and my killed buzz makes me sick till I refill my script up "

Derek Christoff a.k.a D-Sisive
Dr Hobo Scratch MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #18 (permalink)
CWe

I like that quote!

Ask me some Questions!
Click here
CWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #19 (permalink)

It applies to me. I get depressed when I think about the past - how much I enjoyed it, how much I want to go back. And I worry a lot about the unknown future, what if its bad? What if this or that happens or doesnt happen. So yeah...stuck between two evils!
radiancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #20 (permalink)

This is good. I'm anxious, so I guess I'm living in the future.
The days go on and on... they don't end. All my life needed was a sense of someplace to go. I don't believe that one should devote his life to morbid self-attention, I believe that one should become a person like other people. - Travis Bickle
intheshadows is offline   Reply With Quote