X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 07-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default If You Don't Have a Job: Why?

Why don't you have a job right now?

I don't think I'd be able to hold down a job with my current unstable moods. I have Bipolar. I've been going through a truly horrible patch of it. So bad that I finally got diagnosed because it became obvious. I hate it when my family is pressuring me to get a job. It's like they forgot I got out of the hospital two weeks ago & have been in a partial program ever since.

Also - I'm bloody terrified.

My SA has left me disabled and unable to work, but I made over a $1,000 dollars from home. Here's how.
Monroee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Because I feel entitled to a good job while here on Earth not many jobs are "good" these days.
I realize how stupid it is but it's the truth.
Jobs tend to drain me, anyway, emotionally and physically.
Basically: I'm the problem.
There are other problems, too, like the fact that I'm competing with older adults and seniors who shouldn't have to work because everyone needs a job but mostly, it's me. It's not like no one's hiring.

Polaris Project | Not For Sale Campaign | Stop The Traffik
Report a human trafficking tip at 1-888-373-7888

TheDaffodil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

The economy seems to be ****ty here so I'm sure most companies are not keen on hiring a foreigner. I was actually rejected from a data entry job the other day despite having worked in data entry recently, using the same Microsoft program at that. I am looking though and I have an interview Thursday. My anxiety affects my ability to get a job (I only search online, and I bomb interviews) but I feel like it's an essential thing in life so I try not to stay unemployed if I can help it.
purplefruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Interviews. I don't even know if I'm good at them, never went to one, they simply scare me, mostly because I see them as something so illogical that I'm sure I would be crap at them.
If I find a job that doesn't need an interview, I'm there, even if it is shovelling manure for 8 hours a day, as long as it pays and needs no interview.
s0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Many reasons. I want a casual or part-time job but I have severe SA and have only been looking for clerical, stock, or library positions. Unfortunately many of these kinds of jobs are very few and/or require experience/education, which I don't have. I might have to settle for retail sales for the third time if I don't find a job by September.
kilgoretrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

mainly cause im a bum
Kennnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Seeing is that I'm on this forum, I think it's pretty self explanatory why I don't have a job atm. lol
Bethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Because I'm scared. I've never had a job. I think having a job would make me feel a little better about myself, like I'd feel somewhat normal. But at the same time, I don't think I could handle it day in day out.

Pathetic.
Josephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

I live in Florida, and it's hard for college educated adults to find a job here. I've applied at a few places, but I'm under 18, in high school, and have no experience, so I can't find a job anywhere.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethy View Post
Seeing is that I'm on this forum, I think it's pretty self explanatory why I don't have a job atm. lol
I know that. I just wanted some people's explanations of how they feel about getting a job & what specifically is standing in their way.

My SA has left me disabled and unable to work, but I made over a $1,000 dollars from home. Here's how.
Monroee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Too terrified to get one. Plus I'm not really mentally stable enough to be able to hold one down at the moment.

"They say that I can't last a day in the real world
I say you wouldn't survive one night in mine"

"Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike."
- Albus Dumbledore
StarlightSonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0dy View Post
Interviews.
Bingo. Except I have been through them, and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I suck.

There's just nothing about job interviews that I get. I never know what to wear to them. I want to look nice, but I don't want to overdo it - and I certainly don't want to out-dress my interrogator. And when I get there, I don't really know where to go. So then I have to find someone who looks important enough and awkwardly introduce myself, before being paraded through the store past all the other shoppers and employees (who, in their little vests and name-tags, all glance up at me with these grim, lifeless stares that you just know say, "You poor *******, turn back now" - or, at least that's what they would be saying, if they were still capable of feeling anything).

And then I get to that back room that none of the regular customers ever get to see, and it's all dark and dingy. There's always a single long table in the middle of the room, and a lone bare lightbulb hanging from the ceiling. Then there's that long mirror running the length of the far wall, and you just know there's an army of people behind it whose job is to analyze my every move. And then the interviewer rolls up his sleeves, loosens his tie and shines that bright light in my face, and I'm immediately reduced to a raving lunatic who can no longer string together coherent sentences.

It gets ugly. Every time.
UniversalPolymath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

- Poor qualifications/no experience
- Anxiety. I do various volunteering things and I get so so nervous about them. And the anxiety physically takes it out of you, I can feel zombie tired after 5 hours or so! I don't know I'd i'd manage a full time job.

I know these are poor excuses and it's something I'm definitely working on. But I think if I went out and got a job now I'd be really putting myself up for a big failure- so I'm working on small steps like just getting out and about first.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Well I have a couple of on-call type jobs so they are not regular part-time. I have applied to so many part-time jobs and never get hired because I think they see how nervous, serious and introverted I am in the interview.
clt851988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

Recently quit my job, so I'd have more time to establish my own business. I've put that off because of school, but the semester ends this week. Got a month to get everything up and running before next semester starts.
Iced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

I don't have a job because apparently I'm not outgoing enough for most employers, and as for retail, I have no retail experience. I've worked in customer service before, but not retail specifically.

this portrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

Mainly because of anxiety. I'm not even able to go out to look for one.
My mom keep pushing me to find one but I always make excuses because my fear is way too strong..
noitulover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Lack of experience/qualifications, interviews, wouldn't be able to handle it because of anxiety and the consequences of sleep deprivation.

My insomnia frequently results in being so tired I cant do anything, (more) emotionally unstable, paranoid, and unmotivated (all I care about is getting some sleep so I can stop feeling so terrible). I didn't go to class today because I couldn't get up. I don't think I'd be able to keep a job without figuring out how to sleep first.

I plan to stay in school for a while, and I have trouble dealing with more than two classes at a time, so I definitely couldn't handle multiple classes + any job that was more than a few hours a week.
carambola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

1. Because it would just be pissing in the wind. I'll never get anywhere no matter what I do or say.

2. Frankly, I'm lazy and I don't want a job. It's pointless to bother when I'd just quit in a month or something.

3. Because I've given up on life and at the moment, I'm just enjoying the time I have left before I have to make the ultimate choice. As long as I can coast, that's what I'm gonna do.

4. I have zero talents. None. Nobody is going to pay me to do anything but mop floors or some other pointless low wage task that won't even make it worth my time to drag my butt out of bed when I don't want to get up. I'm a very heavy sleeper at times and it's just a matter of time before the alarm goes off one fine morning and I don't even hear it.

5. The biggest thing - I have epilepsy that my medication doesn't always completely control and frankly, it embarrasses me when I have horrific seizures in front of a bunch of people. And then, there's the not knowing when it's gonna happen. They're pretty rare but when I have an aura, it usually confuses the hell out of me and I have anywhere from a matter of seconds to a matter of a few minutes to figure out what to do with myself before the inevitable happens. 90% of the time, I'm too confused to think straight so I end up falling on my face wherever I am. It worries me to think it might happen near a plate glass window or on a sidewalk or near the edge of a counter or at the top of some stairs or wherever. It worries me to think it might happen in the presence of some jerk who thinks it's funny and might do who knows what. I usually become very combative when I'm coming out of a seizure and I don't know what's going on. I don't know what I might do or say when I'm in that state and surrounded by people who I don't know and aren't familiar with my seizure patterns so it worries me that someone might call the cops and I (not having a clue what I'm doing) will fight them.
PickleNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

Too many competition nowadays...If I apply for one position...there probably hundreds of applications on the waiting list.
bball4life is offline   Reply With Quote