Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

I'm going to be humiliated in class

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jtb3485 
#1 ·
Today in college in my Human Services Class we have an exercise we have to do.In each group someone has to list five things thats good about someone else.I don't want to go through this because of my social anxiety nobody really knows who I am.All their going to say about me is that i'm quiet,shy,soft spoken or they won't be able to come up with anything about me.I'm going to be embarrassed and humiliated .I hate this exercise so much I don't want to go to school tomorrow.I hate social anxiety and what it mirrors to the world about me.This assignment suppose to empower each student by hearing the good things that everyone has to say about each other.I know my self confidence and self esteem is going to be damaged just by this stupid assignment.Everyone has been given good positive feedback.I don't want my turn to come and hear what people have to say.I just want to die. :afr .Has anyone with sa ever been through this?

#2 ·
I remember doing an assignment like this in school....although the roles were a bit reversed. The person I did was quiet, shy, although now looking back on it, she likely had social anxiety. Although, I didn't list these traits for her...(which prob helped her without knowing), but you can usually put some traits down that explain everyone...such as "smart", "funny", "always happy"....noone will really argue with those, even i f you are none of them....They may say quiet, but if you are quiet, that should be ok with you....I am very quiet around people I don't know, but some how, I do find a lot of people that GET to know me, really like me....This does help me get through a lot of things, knowing that mos tpeople that get to kno wme and I feel comfortable around, really likes me....but i'm sure you're the same although don't realize it.

School is tough with social anxiety...very tough.....although you DO need school...I am not going to say "just buck up and go in there!" .....I do understand what you're going through, but remember that you need school...people look down on people that do not graduate high school, or college.....but look up to people that have high education. All I can say is realy good luck...and you will be suprised when they don't exactly pick on you like you think.

#3 ·
Yes, I've been through that. It's pretty much a warm up activity that's suppose to be fun while getting to know people in your group better, it's all about impressions, no one really knows you. I mean, when I was in college I couldn't wait to get the heck out of class and so did everyone else. I was in one class that we had to write something that no one would believe about ourselves but it had to be true and they had to guess it right. Of course, no one guess mine right and pick one that stated that I love to read romance novels on my free time. My first thought was that they must think that I have no life and that all I do is read books. However, I didn't realize that I was working in a bookstore at the time and that I had mentioned it a freguently to them. So, I didn't take it so personally because people only knew me for what I'd put out there, which is how impressions are made. Hang in there, try to laugh with the best of them, and maybe you'll find someone else who is shy in the class ;)

#4 ·
I remember having to do something very similar on my last day of high school in my creative writing class. We all had to write down three things we liked about every other person in the room. I actually didn't care what people wrote about me cause I was more worried about what I was going to write. I didn't really know any of these people either. When I got my paper back most of them had written smart, nice, etc like lilangel mentioned. I believe some people only said smart because I wore glasses. It's not like I was answering questions all the time in class.

Of course this is a little bit different cause we were only writing stuff down. But I believe your anxiety will be reduced if you try to focus on what you are going to say about the other people instead of what they are gonna say about you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.