X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 06-22-2008, 06:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default I just don't want to socialize

Sometimes, I can be really friendly, and get along with people well. I am still shy, but I have fun socializing, and in the right circumstances, people will give me the chance to socialize with them. But then a lot of the time, like now, I do not feel like even talking to people. Well, at least new people that I don't know too well. I find socializing to be exhausting, and I have to do it today, since I am going to work. But now I will come across as cold and stuff, when I just want to be left alone for a little bit. I hate this, I wish I could be social when I wanted to, and silent when I want to, and not have it be weird.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: I just don't want to socialize

I know exactly what you mean. And sometimes when I do go out and socialize, but I feel uncomfortable and realize that im sinking into my anxious self, I'll try to make up some bull**** excuse like that I was "feeling sick" as to justify my anti-social behavior, and then leave.
C4120LYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

and holy **** i just noticed your signature/ end label thing or whatever its called and i have to say that American Beauty is by far one of the best movies out there and i LOVE that quote!!
C4120LYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

There are times when I don't even want to talk to my closest friends and will have an urge to avoid them if I see them.

Strange ain't it?
SADFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Old 06-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think it's just moods that everyone gets in sometimes. Even the most social people want to be left alone sometimes.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula
i feel the same way especially now that i started working. i was pretty friendly and responsive my first day and i gave off the @#%$*t fake smiles and laughs and at the end of it all i felt really exhausted and depressed. i just heard a quote that i think pertains to the feeling which is something like, 'false tears bring pain to others while false smiles bring pain to oneself'. and now i have work later tonight and i don't want that feeling of duplicity and inauthenticity again so i'll probably remain aloof and distant the entire night which is what i really want to do and so i will. i don't care about those people.
Same. I was very friendly and socialable during the first 2 hours of my work and was doing great. But then i started getting mentally tired and didn't even care about socializing anymore.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

I started noticing the same thing about myself. I'm not the most loquacious person and I don't always feel that I have to share every thought or make a comment about everything. So when I don't feel like talking I don't feel like socializing. At work, I've been feeling tired lately so it has become quite exhausting to try and think of something interesting to say and to keep the conversation flowing. However, even while I am tired from working, if I think of something interesting to say then I do want to socialize and converse with people, and I would actually notice a boost in energy that I get from having an interesting conversation. I just wish these interesting thoughts would come more often.
sakura01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

i feel the same way. except you say sometimes you like to socialize. for me it is ALWAYS exhausting . after it's over i feel really worn out
DrunkPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkPanda
i feel the same way. except you say sometimes you like to socialize. for me it is ALWAYS exhausting . after it's over i feel really worn out
I'm the same exact way. When I first meet someone it's easier because you go through the typical stuff that comes up when you're getting to know them but after that it's trying and exhausting trying to come up with interesting things to talk about, especially when there's very little common ground with them. At that point I'd rather be on my own than have that constant pressure to be "on."
jugador409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

I've lost pretty much most of my desire to engage in social activity.
and i can't escape the fact that i still bleed
ColdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

yeah, socializing is like too tiring for me I feel so relieved when I dont have to talk to anyone. ususally I like to be around people though and just asking questions 24/7 as I continue to live in my comfort zone.

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

Yeah, I know how you feel. There's like 2 people with whom I can relax and be myself, and actually enjoy socializing...with everyone else, I get tense and go into performance mode, or just withdraw altogether. I want to connect with people and be engaging, but it just doesn't come naturally to me at all.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Yeah, most of the time when I'm in school I'm either
a) not entirely conscious from sleeping an average of five hours a night for several weeks straight
b) *****ing depressed
c) devoid of topics of conversation, since I don't do anything interesting since I have no life...vicious cycle yay

or any combination of those three. So basically a lot of people see me as distant and "antisocial" (since they don't know the actual definition of antisocial lol) and according to my friend that's why they act guarded around me, which of course I mistake as them not wanting to talk to me and take as a personal insult and...yeah. I have issues.
Eilicea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:31 AM   #15 (permalink)

I have practically zero social contact. I love it, if only I didn't have to work.
Argamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:26 PM   #16 (permalink)

for me socializing alot of the time is a chore i want to get over with sometime it just wears me out
angel eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

Ya some days I just don't want to talk to anyone either.
Peace99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

its like when i start socializing with others and be all outgoing and stuff I tell myself hey this is not you you are acting like someone else and then I go back to my SA self.

I dont like to engage in socializing with others because they cant relate to me.
SADone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argamemnon
I have practically zero social contact. I love it, if only I didn't have to work.
Cell phone Minutes: The opiate of the social.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:51 PM   #20 (permalink)

I feel awkward at work sometimes when I can't socialize with people. But I'll try to bring up topics that me and the other person both have opinions on, such as sports or TV shows. It'll get conversation going for a while, but then my mind hits a dry spell and its back to being clueless with nothing to say and staring at the other person like a complete weirdo. I wish I can understand those people who always seem to have something to say about every possible topic.
trident is offline   Reply With Quote