X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 01-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default how to succeed in the real world? (corporate world)

For those in the corporate world, how do you succeed?
I can do the lower level job good enough to get by but what about as we progress up the ladder? I am afraid that I don't have the skills to be a manager and beyond. I am almost mute in meetings and it's hard to gain respect. Plus, I look like a high schooler so no one takes me serious.
Any advice on how to succeed in the corporate world?
sociallybehind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
huh

I've come to the conclusion that I'll never be able to manage or supervise anyone at a job. I have the same issues with meetings. I'll probably just keep getting experience in and working on getting jobs that require a little more skill but don't require me to be a manager. My personality just doesn't fit that role. Personally I'm fine with progressing just in the more technical jobs in the field I'm in.

One problem I have though is I sell myself short and I think I shy away from even attempting to go for jobs that require more skill because I don't think I'm good enough. I don't apply for jobs that I could probably do fine, and instead I apply for jobs that I'm probably overqualified for.
huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Managing at beginning levels is the hardest.

Moving up is about giving the appearance capability. 50% of you job is doing you job. The other 50% is showing you've done your job. Simply just doing a good job won't get you anywhere.

Personally I came to the conclusion that I want no part of that cock measuring contest. I'd rather go with a small business, government, or own my own business.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

I supervised people before and it was pretty hard because I hated making people do things. What got me through it was just trusting myself that I was making the right decision and it was something that had to be done.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote