How to stop feeling weird about how I walk and caring too much what people think? - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 02-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to stop feeling weird about how I walk and caring too much what people think?

I always feel like everyone is looking at me when I walk and that I am walking weird. I also care too much what people think about me. I CANT overcome this. Its not easy to change the way ur mind thinks. Anyone have any idea what to do or are u all stumped too?
Falcons84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

I went shopping today and I was extremely self-conscious of how I walked. But then this woman walked by. She walked as though she was completely tweaked out (and she probably was, it was a ghetto-*** store). Maybe she had a disability or just a limp but her walk was very odd.

And... I didn't think any less of her. I didn't put her down in my mind. I didn't feel superior to her. It didn't matter how she walked or how she looked, she is a human and I have just as much respect for her as the next person.

Although I still don't feel comfortable, it's something to think about.
PeopleAreStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

visualize how you walk when no one's around. Also, concentrate on other people. works for me.
consciousliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pet

I don't know, but I'm just posting to say I feel the same way about the walking. I would assume to get over anything really, is to keep doing it. Maybe you should just face your fear, even though you will feel anxiety. I am also afraid of walking in sync with music. I find that really embarrassing. Sometimes I see people walking in sync with music playing, and I laugh.
Pet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have trouble walking in public, self-induced exposure therapy has helped me a lot, I can say I'm miles ahead of where I use to be but I'm still nowhere near where I want to be.

While we're on the topic, where do you look when you're walking?
I generally look ahead and occasionally at things around me, I use to stare at the ground ahead of my feet.

What do you do when someone is walking in the opposite direction and is in front of you and in your field of view? Do you avert your eyes to a different spot or attempt to ignore them?
Saekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

I repeat a mantra or affirmation when I walk around my complex. I always feel like people don't like me so I say to myself: I am a wonderful person and people like me. Over and over again until I get to where I am going. It works for me.
Belle Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Slow your walk and loosen up (relax your muscles little) if you feel tense. Look UP, staring at the ground or a fixed point makes you look scared and anxious. Don't be afraid to look at people around you as you walk by, and hell, maybe even smile at them
sda0 is offline   Reply With Quote