X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 12-13-2010, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How many of you are unable to work

How many of you are unable to work and unable to establish romantic relationships due to social anxiety? I assume people like us are a small minority, am I wrong?
Argamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

It's not that I'm un-able, it's that going to a place you hate for 8 hours +2 hours travel is the most retarded thing ever. Just thinking of the NOW though haha.
Morphling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

I am able but that ability is diminishing fast. It takes an enormous amount of effort to just get myself to concentrate.
heroin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

I can't. I tried working a couple of times but the anxiety was so bad. I couldn't sleep and got physically ill. I lasted at one place only a day and a half.
I can't even make friends. I just lost the only one I had and I feel like the biggest failure.

TheOutsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default ...

i can work, but there are always issues....such as loud noisy people, depending on the job, or perfume- im sensitive to chemicals...usually working isnt bad but there are always problems people have with me sometimes- thats my main problem with working.....i tend to get fired a lot for no real reason, or people automatically just have 'issues' with me and its difficult. ....i can have a relationship btu the universe doesnt give me a chance or even remotely normal people. my only 'boyfriend' wouldnt hang around me, degraded me on the phone and refused sex with me-- just wanted to control me and he was sadistic and it was sick and scary....he wasnt a boyfriend but some maniac who was obsessed with torturing me...and his obsession was scary cuz i still havent gotten away from him and im scared b/c ifi try he might do something bad to me-- and away as in--cut off all contact - we live in different cities.... im cursed and can't meet anyone else so have to be alone and dealing with psychos like him
sherry09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

I dont work at the moment, it would be too much stress on already steressed out person. I've had plenty of jobs in the past but had to leave my last two after being there for years or a year at the last one due to panic attacks and severe depression. I havent worked in two years but I know someday I'lll be able to again once i get my anxiety more under control which is also the catalyst for my depression. Meds havent helped much and I've tried alot of them but I'm working on CBT right now and hoping it will help.

"The greatest misery in adverse fortune is once to have been happy" -Boethius

"The only thing that i know is that I know nothing"- Socrates
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

My last job was in 2001. The constant anxiety (leading also to depression and sleeping problems) just prevents me from doing even 'normal' things, sometimes when I have a conversation I can't even hear what the other person is saying. And when driving I'm a danger on the roads, I've had a lot of lucky escapes in traffic. I guess what I'm trying to say is; I can't even do simple things when feeling anxious so having a full time job seems totally out of the question. This fact is a huge source of additional anxiety because 'what if they cut my benefits', I might actually end up on the streets in the future.
Argamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Me. D:
rosebudxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

I haven't worked since 2002. I had a child, but he's now 9 and in school all day, and I have yet to get back into the job scene. I think I could if I had to, but I just cannot relate to those around me on even the most basic levels anymore.
kiasockmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just recently had a short 6 week spell working after not doing so for nearly 4 years. I tried but was let go unfortunately. I wouldn't say I can't work but it does take a lot out of me doing so as I'm not only exhausted by the work itself but also my anxiety. I'm going to start looking for some part time work again in the new year but I understand what is to be out of it for a long period

My Music Links:
Twitter ~ Youtube ~ Facebook ~ SoundCloud
Canadian Brotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

i find it hard enough to walk into town, getting a job is like a nightmare, i dread that i must face this one day :O
cgj93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

I reject the concept of work on the basis that the 9 to 5 is one of the worst atrocities ever inflicted on the human species. How's that for an answer?
Same Difference is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argamemnon View Post
How many of you are unable to work and unable to establish romantic relationships due to social anxiety? I assume people like us are a small minority, am I wrong?

I'm in this minority, though I did have a crappy low-paid job a trained chimp could do for a few years. I'm coming up to 3 years of solid unemployment now.
I've never been able to form relationships and come close to having s-e-x. And I'm a year older than you Argamemnon.
I didn't know I had social anxiety until 18 months ago either, it's pathetic how I've been carrying on like this for so long.
Syncsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

49erJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

well im not really in a rush for any romantic relationships atleast not now but it did get in the way when it came to me having to pick up the phone or call her. As for work yes im unable at the moment but im still trying to find some work.
ak2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

ive never had a boyfriend (look at my pic im ugly)..

and i did one day on a till in sainsburys and had a panic attack so quit

then i stacked shelves at night in sainsburys for a year

but now im at the university of york , in my first year, but only here to avoid a job..
rubberquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

Im on disability I dont work.

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

It's hard sometimes but I work fulltime and go to college. I refuse to let social anxiety take away my right to be able to do these things and no work equals low self esteem and no money for me. As for the relationship thing I struggle more with that, i have been on dates an am currently talking to a girl I like, so I'll see where this goes.
inneedofher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

i cant afford not to.
ont6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

I'm fully able to work, just don't want to. I had a temporary job over the summer that didn't bring me much anxiety and now I'm jobless mainly because I don't want to work in certain places that bring me anxiety. And it's really hard to be choosey when you're a college student with no degree yet. So unfortunately, I'll have to suck it up and work somewhere, because I'm gonna need a job soon. I wish there were more jobs for people with SA, but it seems like ALL jobs require some kind of socialization. Even the online jobs.
ladylone is offline   Reply With Quote