Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

How late is too late to start university?

51K views 45 replies 37 participants last post by  Podee 
#1 ·
I'm aware that this is a pretty stupid question and if anyone reads it they'll say "It's never too late" but seriously I'm sure there's a point where you feel a bit awkwardly older. I know people go on to study a lot later in life but that's not really what I mean because it's different to be a mature student. I'm worried about standing out too much because I dropped out when I was around 18 after the first term but I'm annoyed with myself about it because now I feel like I'd be ready... or readier than I was to start a degree but I don't want to be an outcast and I know it's more important to be studying towards the degree but I'd like to get involved more this time around and I'm worried I'd be kind of an outcast.

Funnily enough when I was at uni most people were early-mid twenties and I'm only early 20's now but I did later hear that the college I was at was welcoming to mature students, some places class mature as 21 and up. I'm 21 now but by enrolment next year I'll be 22, I think I need to go regardless of this hang up but I feel like such a freak, I keep beating myself up over not staying the first time but I couldn't have done that well due to other circumstances, I'm a bit stronger now.

Please don't be offended if you're older than me and studying I just feel this way because I'm insecure about lacking confidence and experience that people younger than me have, I don't think these things about anyone but me. I'm sure it's different in different classes and at different universities but I just need to know what point do you think is "older".

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm 23 going on 24 soon and am just now working towards an associates degree. I really don't feel out of place because my age is still fairly young. Of course I feel out of place because I'm so damn shy, but with age, not so much.

I believe it's never too late to go to school because we're all there for different reasons. In fact, I actually like seeing older students there. I'm a little more comfortable around them because people younger or my age kinda intimidate me.

#4 ·
I don't think you can feel awkward, due to being older and wiser and stuff. Especially if its only a few years like in your case. There will still be students there who are your age, right? Seniors at 22?

I have a lady in one of my classes who is probably 40+, and she participates and has some pretty insightful things to say. I mean, she's not gonna start going to the Sorority parties or anything, lol, but she fits in fine in class and you can tell she's been through more than the average student and they respect that.

#7 ·
I don't really mean fit in just in class I mean more socially. I guess it's different if you have a lot going on in your life and a wide circle of friends and can just go to classes then leave but I don't really have anything else in my life. The reason I'm thinking this is because my sister said going to uni is a good way to make friends and I should try to start late this year but classes have already started and I don't feel prepared at all to do that, I don't feel prepared for the subject I want to study either so I've contacted somewhere about a 12 week course in a related field. When I think about school I feel a ton of stress I just feel like I'm not good enough and being a couple of years late I feel like I'll be expected to be more experienced.
origami potato said:
I'm 23 going on 24 soon and am just now working towards an associates degree. I really don't feel out of place because my age is still fairly young. Of course I feel out of place because I'm so damn shy, but with age, not so much.
Thanks for that I know I'm being really irrational but that put it into perspective. I'm sorry you feel out of place there still though that worries me too, being too nervous, the prospect of presentations is one reason I dropped out.

#8 ·
There was an 80-year-old guy in one of my undergrad biology lab courses, and he was assigned as one of my lab partners. After an hour or so I didn't even notice any more; he was just another student. His age only became apparent when he tried to pipette a protein solution onto a gel, and his hand was shaking violently and the solution went everywhere.

#10 ·
I started at 21, was no problem for me and there were plenty of other people who started at the same age or a bit older. If you get the opportunity to study abroad like I did, I would highly reccommend it, it's a great experience and you'll find people from all ages on study abroad.

#11 ·
I just graduated college in February, which could be considered late for my age. There was a good mix of ages in my class, so I didn't really feel awkward. There were a few other people that were my age, then some who were fresh out of high school. And there was also a lady who was in her late 40s. She had spent most of her life teaching, and was now trying to switch careers. No one treated her differently, and everyone respected her b/c her teaching background meant that she was able to help the rest of us out when it came to certain topics that she was more familiar with.

Everybody got along really well in my classes, and nobody ever treated anyone differently due to their age (at least not that I saw).

I don't really think of it as awkward because there are a lot of older people who go back to college, or finish late. People tend to be more mature in college too, so I think they are more accepting.

This post has been deleted
#12 ·
22? It's over. Too late. lol
Lol I deserved that.

I did warn that this was a stupid question but I just needed some reassurance.
I am sorry if it offended anyone because if I read this post from someone I'd think wtf!? get over yourself.
I just really hate being older than people. I also hate that people younger than me are more qualified for what I want to study just because at 16 I didn't know what I wanted to do. I guess I'm kind of jealous of people who are more together.

#14 ·
I've had plans to go back for quite a while, but life circumstances have circumvented this. I will, however, return to the UK next year and so will be going to part-time university at the age of 47. I know of another student that went back at 49. There is an older gent who was in the news recently who went back to school at quite an advanced age. I believe he was at least 70+. and in addition he gained his 15 minutes of fame. Where's the drawback? I see none.

Life, at any age, is what you make of it.

#16 ·
I don't know if it's different in the UK, but being your age and in college is pretty normal in the states. You shouldn't have a problem socializing with the slighty younger crowd. I've noticed a lot of late teens and early twenties people hanging out and going to parties and events together where I'm at.

#17 ·
I know a 26 year old at uni, my cousin is at uni, he's 25 soon.... There are millions of people over 21 going these days. I'll probably go at about your age. My college works towards getting peopel to uni by 21 or beyond. Anyway, people switch courses halfway through, take gap years, long breaks abroad so you've not lost time really. What the hell is stopping you?:)

#18 ·
I'm aware that this is a pretty stupid question and if anyone reads it they'll say "It's never too late" but seriously I'm sure there's a point where you feel a bit awkwardly older. I know people go on to study a lot later in life but that's not really what I mean because it's different to be a mature student. I'm worried about standing out too much because I dropped out when I was around 18 after the first term but I'm annoyed with myself about it because now I feel like I'd be ready... or readier than I was to start a degree but I don't want to be an outcast and I know it's more important to be studying towards the degree but I'd like to get involved more this time around and I'm worried I'd be kind of an outcast.

Funnily enough when I was at uni most people were early-mid twenties and I'm only early 20's now but I did later hear that the college I was at was welcoming to mature students, some places class mature as 21 and up. I'm 21 now but by enrolment next year I'll be 22, I think I need to go regardless of this hang up but I feel like such a freak, I keep beating myself up over not staying the first time but I couldn't have done that well due to other circumstances, I'm a bit stronger now.

Please don't be offended if you're older than me and studying I just feel this way because I'm insecure about lacking confidence and experience that people younger than me have, I don't think these things about anyone but me. I'm sure it's different in different classes and at different universities but I just need to know what point do you think is "older".
Sometimes most of the "damages" are created inside of your head. aka Self-fufilling prophecy. People might "care" (not a fact) a little bit BUT they'll quickly get over it once they know you. You just have to stop caring.

I'm two years older than people in my class. It's a bit embarrassing but come on, it's not a big deal.;)

When people ask about it, you can say you went travelling/working before you decided to come to school.:D

#19 ·
Obviously you're never too old to go back to uni.

Practically speaking, RE: the fitting in issue - there's always people who are a little older than the norm, always. And quite a few, at that. You definitely don't have to hang around the 18 year olds - don't worry about that! :)

If you join some clubs and societies at uni, you'll get to know this - I understand the apprehension at the prospect of being older than everyone, but it's one of those things you don't realise until you're actually there. Then you'll realise how misplaced your fears were!

On point: There are plenty of 'older' people - i.e., those in their early 20s. Plenty.

:)

#31 ·
Ooh my thread's been resurrected. I applied yes, had a few interviews and actually the people I met at the interviews were my age. I got offered a place on a course starting this September :).

I figure even if I hate it I'm there for the degree and it's only 2 and a half days a week so I can work the rest of the time anyway.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

#24 ·
In a way, I'm envious of you. I wasn't emotionally ready for university at 19 because my anxiety was much worse back then. I wish I would have taken 2-3 years to get my life a little more sorted. Maybe, did a little traveling or something.
As for feeling old, don't worry. In my school, we have tons of non-trads, many are much older than you. At 22, you aren't that much older than the general population. You will be fine. Also, I'm almost 30(next week) and I will start grad school next fall. You're not too old if I can go to class with all those 23 yo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.