X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 06-10-2009, 06:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How do people suddenly develop anxiety disorders?

A lot of people seem to talk about a time frame for which they have had their anxiety (whether SA or other). I have trouble understanding this, because I don't feel like I ever suddenly got anxious - I always was. I just notice it more now because it has gradually prevented me from doing more and more things. How do people who are seemingly care-free and confident suddenly develop anxiety disorders? I don't understand!

I am not intending this post as a competition or an "I don't believe you sudden-developers really have anxiety disorders", so pleeeaaase don't take it like that! I was just wondering how it happens?
supreme.mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

I blame the fact that i was bullied and made fun of in my childhood and preteen years. It made me self concious about who i was, and i became extremely shy and avoided people, and it has carried on into my adult life.
wintersunx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think people have different causes. I personally think that some SA people are born more sensitive than the average person. I feel overly embarrased of all the childhood memories that I have for some reason. I was mute as a child.
shynesshellasucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't really understand this either! I know that my SA has developed after years of bullying and a lack of self-esteem. Maybe anxiety that develops suddenly has more to do with a change in brain chemistry than life experience? That's what I've always thought.
tutliputli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

although im sure there were many underlying problems, my anxiety took off when i moved away from my friends. Before i never had to meet anyone new without knowing that i always had someone to back me up. Not to mention that my new school is drastically different than my old one. its much harder to fit in.
wxolue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've always been shy acting, but being constantly picked on is probably what pushed me into anxiety territory
Old 06-10-2009, 09:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

I've always been this way, but I think certain events in my life make it worse, or I learn from them to crawl into my shell so they don't happen again.
Lemonstale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

My guess would be something tramatic happened in their life and it might of started out as something like depression, and then that morphed into some form of anxiety.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

People who have never experienced any real anxiety experience it for the first time quite often I think, like when they suddenly have a panic attack. It's not uncommon for them to go to the ER because they never experienced anything like it before and are convinced they are having a heart attack or something.

I guess I was always a little shy but I never experienced really intense anxiety until one day in the sixth grade and that set off my SAD. Even though I may have had risk factors for developing it before, it didn't really start until then.
sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

i am going to guess hormones and that along with the development of the brain and seratonin has something to do with it... THAT is just a guess though.
The way I also see it is like building blocks... the blocks representing major stressful events in one's life. They can only get to high until they fall (the fall would be considered the anxiety attack) A person that has the ability to handle stressful situations and not let them build just has a "bad day" whereas a person that lets the block build to the point where they fall will have that attack...
I know waht i'm talking about. Hope this makes sense lol Basically, a person just doesnt realize they have an anxiety disorder until they have that first anxiety attack. That's just what I see though.
TeenyBeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

My own anxiety only began when i was 41. I was fine before that. I was quiet but comfortable and did not get anxious at all. One Sunday morning I began to feel on edge and within a few minutes I was into a full blown panic attack. It's been a battle ever since. I believe mine was brought about by a change in body chemistry. I was 41 which is about the age that menopause starts up in women. I've heard that some men go through a change at about the same time. I chalk mine up to male menopause.
Amocholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

ive always been shy and extremely sensitive and self-critical. being teased during my pre-teen years and into my early teens, along with a stressful family situation, is what pushed me over the edge.

AIM = jonquil4732
aster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

the bullying during my adolescent yrs on top of my family constantly yelling and criticizing me contributed to it...i was expected to get everything right and perfect when done first the first time...i get yelled at for "trying"...now im scared to try anything.....its hard for me to defend myself...my mom constantly used to tell me "stop acting like your somebody!"...now i feel like im nobody...
sugaraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme.mugwump View Post
A lot of people seem to talk about a time frame for which they have had their anxiety (whether SA or other). I have trouble understanding this, because I don't feel like I ever suddenly got anxious - I always was. I just notice it more now because it has gradually prevented me from doing more and more things. How do people who are seemingly care-free and confident suddenly develop anxiety disorders? I don't understand!

I am not intending this post as a competition or an "I don't believe you sudden-developers really have anxiety disorders", so pleeeaaase don't take it like that! I was just wondering how it happens?
usully its a traumatic event or a series of traumatic events e.g getting rejected or criticised time after time
socially inept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:57 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugaraddict View Post
the bullying during my adolescent yrs on top of my family constantly yelling and criticizing me contributed to it...i was expected to get everything right and perfect when done first the first time...i get yelled at for "trying"...now im scared to try anything.....its hard for me to defend myself...my mom constantly used to tell me "stop acting like your somebody!"...now i feel like im nobody...
OMG this sounds like my life. I think I've had SA all my life. I remember in 1st grade feeling less than everyone else. I remember everyone talking and me being so quiet. I know my father was very verbally abusive. So he contributed to my SA. I also know my mom was very timid. I thinks she has SA too, so it is either hereditary, which I think, and/or the result of years of abuse.
epril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

I remember having anxiety attacks out on the playground when I was in kindergarten. I was so scared to talk to any of my peers. I'd wait until my bladder was practically bursting to ask the teacher if I could go to the bathroom, because I was so nervous and anxious about how to ask. Many times, teachers marked me absent and then later would realize I was there, and they'd say, "you were so quiet, I didn't even know you were here!"

I believe that I was born with a predisposition to social phobia and it was "triggered" by being forced to be around people in a school setting. I think life experiences, such as groing up in a dysfunctional family and having to endure verbal abuse by my own family and peers reinforced my anxiety and made it severe--it gave a rational "reason" to be afraid/anxious of people. I think if my parent's would have gotten me help early on, I might have recovered somewhat. But nobody recognized that there was a problem--everyone thought I was shy and would grow out of it. I'm 23. I'm still waiting to "grow out of it."

If I ever have a kid one day (which I highly doubt because there's no way I could have a relationship with a guy), I will not hesitate to bring my kid to a psychologist/psychiatrist at the very first sign of social anxiety or phobia--even if my kid manifests symptoms at 5 years of age. I would not sit back and watch my kid go through life with no friends, missing out on life experiences, etc. I'd rather be overly aggressive in getting help for my kid, even if that meant medicating a kid who's "a little shy" because I really believe strongly that there is a genetic component and I know first hand how quickly shy can turn into a severe, debilitating phobia.
terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra View Post
I remember having anxiety attacks out on the playground when I was in kindergarten. I was so scared to talk to any of my peers. I'd wait until my bladder was practically bursting to ask the teacher if I could go to the bathroom, because I was so nervous and anxious about how to ask. Many times, teachers marked me absent and then later would realize I was there, and they'd say, "you were so quiet, I didn't even know you were here!"

I believe that I was born with a predisposition to social phobia and it was "triggered" by being forced to be around people in a school setting. I think life experiences, such as groing up in a dysfunctional family and having to endure verbal abuse by my own family and peers reinforced my anxiety and made it severe--it gave a rational "reason" to be afraid/anxious of people. I think if my parent's would have gotten me help early on, I might have recovered somewhat. But nobody recognized that there was a problem--everyone thought I was shy and would grow out of it. I'm 23. I'm still waiting to "grow out of it."
Hey, you sound a fair bit like me!
supreme.mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

For me it just kind of started one day and got worse from then on.
Ash09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #19 (permalink)

Just came outta nowhere for me. Didn't have much of a history of bullying. In fact... I was always with the group of "cool" kids. I was accepted even though I contributed hardly anything to my friends. However, ever since high school, I've been one lonely person. I really need to get my life back on track. I know for a fact, with the help of medication, I'm able to get my life on track. I've done so once (on meds) I really am convinced that's how I did it. It's been almost 2 years since I quit meds, but now I understand I am useless without them. I am prepared to be dependent on some sort of medication for the rest of my life.
asdf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:23 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugaraddict View Post

Hm and come to think of it, I think my eczema had a part in it as well since I was always paranoid that people would look at it and think I was contagious or something (which alot of still people do) so I constantly try to cover it up.
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote