How do i tell my parents? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

How do i tell my parents?

Hey, i have bad SA but i'm too anxious to tell my parents... What should i do? How should i say it? how did you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:23 PM
FSociety

My Mood: Brooding
My mom was yelling at me daily about finding a job and how I'm not doing anything, got a degree for nothing. She had no idea about my anxiety neither did I kinda. I just said I need an appointment my anxiety is bad. She was like ok. Saw a general doctor and the rest is history.

~ Everybody has secrets, some are just better at hiding them ~
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:29 PM
Cry. But I can't.

Just come right out and say it and explain it to them. It is nothing to be ashamed of; none of us are perfect. It's tough to do, trust me I know, but if should take a weight off your shoulders to tell them.

...Deep in my soul, I've been so lonely
All of my hopes, fading away
I've longed for love, like everyone else does
I know I'll keep searching, even after today
So there it is girl, I've said it all now
And here we are babe, what do you say?
We've got tonight, who needs tomorrow?
We've got tonight babe
Why don't you stay?...

I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright--Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:40 PM
A Fine Irrelevance

hey, welcome to sas.

in answer to your first question, i think it's going to come down to the relationship you already have with your parents.

My mother has known about my "difficulty" with people for as long as it's been there, even before it had a name, but we're fairly close. I finally told my father last year, but mostly for myself, and my own peace, because i know he doesn't-- and even can't-- understand what it is like for me. He's a very different sort of person.

However, I'm sure you wouldn't be considering this if you didn't think your parents would care.

In that case i would suggest something like this:

find a moment where it is convenient to talk, let them know you have something going on you want to discuss, then explain what your experience has been like and why you think you have an anxiety disorder. tell them what you want them to do about it, be it support or trying to find some kind of therapy. it's quite possible they will feel helpless, so telling them what you want from them will let them know there's something they can do.

but that would be my standard advice, i don't know you, or your parents, and what would be more appropriate if the circumstances are different than i imagine from your post.

best of luck
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:46 PM
SAS Member

Straight up tell them something like "look i have something to tell you. I suffer from social anxiety".
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:16 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
I totally agree with the other replies. You should just be honest with them - I'm sure they'll want to help you, right? Tell them how you feel - tell them you have SA, and encourage them to learn all about SA so they'll be well-informed about what exactly you're dealing with. Then hopefully they can find you some counselling, or get you medication.

My mom has SA too, so she totally understands how I feel. My dad is the complete opposite, unfortunately. It's really difficult and frustrating dealing with people who don't have SA themselves, because they just won't ever understand. But if anyone tries to invalidate your problems, don't let them make you feel weak or anything. You're so strong for having to deal with anxiety, and we're all here for you! If your parents can't get you a therapist, feel free to message me here. I'm not a real therapist, but just having someone to vent to is extremely helpful, and I don't mind giving advice. Good luck!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:35 PM
A Fine Irrelevance

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page