Has anyone voluntarily checked into a psychiatric hospital? - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 01-06-2008, 10:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Has anyone voluntarily checked into a psychiatric hospital?

I need to get out of my house for a while... I believe I'd be able to think more clearly away from home. I don't want to go on a trip somewhere because I know I'd end up sitting in a hotel room watching TV for the entire time. It would accomplish nothing but waste my money. I have no friends I can stay with, and I have no relatives who it would be an option with.

A retreat would throw me for a loop right now and I'd just act fake happy rather than getting things fixed.

I want to be somewhere I can think, get over some issues, and somewhere I can finally get my insomnia under control.

I don't like the idea of checking into a psychiatric hospital, but I'm wondering if anyone here has done that? If so, what was your experience like?

I not sure my symptoms are strong enough to warrant being in a psychiatric hospital... plus the environment is not one that I really want to be in. I also really don't want to take any medications. I'm not sure where else I could go though - does anyone have any ideas?

I've only ever been in a psychiatric ward once when a friend of mine tried to cut her wrists. I have no idea what goes on in there. I doubt the Hollywood portrayals are all that accurate...
trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Has anyone voluntarily checked into a psychiatric hospital?

Please don't do that to yourself.

Every hospital may be different. You don't know how you will be treated at any particular hospital. Do you really want to take a gamble and put yourself in a place like that?
kj6754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Have you considered a Buddhist retreat? You don't have to fake anything with those. All your waking hours would probably be devoted to meditating, and you can think all you want, and wise people will give you suggestions on how to deal with issues. And no harm will come to you, you won't have to take any meds, and I don't think you need to spend a lot of money. In my opinion, it's a great environment. =)
Jenikyula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj6754
Do you really want to take a gamble and put yourself in a place like that?
I really don't, but I've been thinking of something I shouldn't be for most of the past 10 days. I need a change of environment. If I entered voluntarily I could leave at anytime, couldn't I?

I don't know if a Buddhist retreat would be a good situation right now... I was raised by fairly overzealous Christian parents, and unfortunately I'm still living with them. Back when I was 16 I had bought a video game that had a small picture of a skeleton on the box art. My dad had screamed at me over the course of a couple days, trying to force me to return it. When I refused he treated me like I was an absolute moron for the rest of the week and still refers to my old games as "garbage games." If I were to go to a Buddhist retreat I can just imagine the reaction that would bring
Old 01-06-2008, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Maybe you should try a clinic? I was inpatiant at a clinic a few times. You stay for about a week, have group, talk with a doctor...It actually helped me a lot. But I think you probably need to give more reason than having SA and wanting to get out of the house.
Decade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just saying you want to voluntarily check yourself in is a sign that you are not as crazy as you think. They aren't fun (my mom has been in two). You basically stay in your hospital room - medically monitored, of course, while there isn't anything to do but attend classes on how to get back into life (with Depend...sorry, bad joke ). You would really not like a place like that .

I would just spend a day by yourself away from the house, period. Drive to a park and write a paper or something to get your thoughts out. If it comes to spending a night at a motel, do it. I did when I couldn't make it home from work during a snowstorm. It was like a mini-vacation .
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

You seem fine. Just try therapy. You seem not to be overly depressed.
Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes.

And it is not that easy to check yourself in as one might think..There is a list of criteria that the hospital and your insurance company will demand. Assuming you have insurance..if not, well..you have to be damn near suicidal/homicidal to be admitted.

Now a days, they usually only practice 'crisis intervention' hospitalizations and the stay is very short..only to stabilize, set-up out-patient follow up care and then they release you.

For people who need this..it is (obviously) very beneficial. For those who don't, it can be very disappointing. Either way, only the person facing said crisis can determine how much 'intervention' is needed.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

ive been to the psych ward twice. They treat you well. I would really suggest meds if you are feeling suicidal. They can closely monitor your progress in the ward. You always have a nurse at your side whenever you need them. You get to see psychiatrists and psychologists daily too.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Note: majority of typos are from posting on my phone
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have been to psych wards a couple of times. I was in psych wards continuously for 2 and a half years and after that twice for three weeks each time.

My experience is both good and bad. Of course I live in Iceland so maybe they are completely different but I really donīt think so though.

Many things good and bad happened to me there. Poor doctors, one kept me on drugs that nearly killed me and didnīt listen to what I said every day. Most doctors where good though. The staff can be bad and good. The patients can be tough to be around and great and you might make friends there like I did but I donīt have them today. I was attacked by staff physically and mentally, mentally a number of times. You might not be listened to or believed. Most of the time I felt good enough but I also worked hard myself and wanted to get better, exercise is very helpful, meditation, spiritual music. Where I was I was ignored most of the day, usually but it differs from which ward you are in, and I mean by the staff, I might have been sitting in the hall and they would walk past me all day without saying a word to me.

So in my experience, being in a ward, can feel good and bad, the staff can be good and bad. Itīs usually not easy to be in a ward and it can feel like prison, sometimes it is.

And yes, thereīs nothing to do all day, itīs not just boring, itīs painful to spend all day every day in a hospital room in a strange bed and with maybe another patient you know nothing about or two of them. There are certain times for tv and you sometimes donīt get to choose what to watch.

Iīve had things stolen from me, two cellphones. Itīs rather common that things can just disappear.

You get orders. You are ordered to make your bed, you are ordered to take showers, ordered maybe to wash the floor in your room. Itīs like youīre a kid again, told when to go to sleep, at ten all lights are out. You can only stay out so long, have to come early each evening.

You are woken up each morning with lights being turned on and yelled at. There are interviews you have with your doc, sometimes thereīs a clinic and that means the room is full with nurses, students, doctors, other staff and you have to talk about your most personal things. There are group meetings each morning where you have to talk.

The food can hardly be eaten. I often had to skip eating because the food was so disgusting.

Itīs a risk to get admitted into a ward, wards can be so different, bad and good.

One rather funny thing that happened, I had this crazy nurse, I went in to the dininghall to eat, just me there and I had my cap on because I didnīt want to show my hair, so Iīm the only one there and she becomes furious and runs to me and yells in my face, take the cap off, take it off now!! I said no, she grabbed my plate and she threatened to call security hehe, that means a group of musclemen so I had to take the cap off. I know she would have kept her word. There are good odds that a crazy staffmember like that is in the ward youīre in, at least almost everywhere I was.

Thereīs alot more but I have to stop here.

You shouldnīt go into a ward unless you really really have to.
Addi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Doesn't sound like a very good experience, from those of you who have been there...

I'm very much against meds after trying some a couple years ago. The first set made me very sick, like a strong flu. The second set made me feel totally psychotic. I had to lock myself in my room because I was fighting back almost overpowering urges of violence. I'm not a violent person at all, I absolutely know that was caused by the pills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard
You seem fine. Just try therapy. You seem not to be overly depressed.
I do hide it well I don't know why even here I feel the need to wear a mask, it just never comes off. In truth I've been having suicidal thoughts for almost 2 weeks now. I know I wouldn't do it, but it's not something I want to even be thinking about. Especially not so frequently.

More recently I've been awake all night, asleep during the day. This has created an even more isolated existence than I had before... now even my dog is asleep, heh. I simply wake up and go through a couple daily motions, then sit at the PC for hours on end, trying to keep my mind occupied until it's tired enough that I can once again go to sleep.

Over the years I've gotten very good at burying and/or hiding my emotions, even from myself. I had to as my home environment was never a safe place to show any kind of weakness. You would be jumped on and ridiculed for days by the rest of the household. My mom was ridiculed because she has a disease which affects her balance. My sister is still ridiculed to this day about crying when her first fish died. Growing up in that environment can make you appear much stronger than you actually feel.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

I think you need to seek help, suicidal thoughts should always be taken very seriously. Try a psychologist.
Addi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:05 AM   #13 (permalink)

I wouldn't want to go to a Psychiatric hospital as a retreat. I never worked in a psychiatric hospital. I only been to one to pick a client up once, so I never seen much. I did work in an alternative type psyche unit when I was younger. It was in a big Victorian mansion. I only worked there for a few months until they closed it down due to the hospitals were taking our business, and also the director didn't manage it well. It was a very nice idea. Not everyone belongs in a big psychiatric hospital ward. I think the clientčle that we served did a lot better. It was more a home environment and very comfortable for them. It is too bad it didn't flourish. I really believed in it.
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Have you considered a day hospital? With a day hospital, you're admitted on a day-by-day basis, from 9 to 5. They give you an entrance evaluation and then they tailor an intensive therapy and group therapy program to your needs. You're not just sitting around your room all day or forced to do menial chores. My psychiatrist this week recommended that I go to one, he said that a day hospital would be more effective than any new medication he could prescribe. I've been taking various meds for a couple years but my depression still hasn't lifted, and he thinks my avoidant personality disorder is to blame. They don't have a pill to cure a personality disorder, unfortunately.
Halfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Your house sounds like a toxic environment to me. No wonder your so depressed. Have you thought about moving out?

If your seriously considering suicide or thinking about it quite frequently then you should talk to someone. Check yourself into a hospital with a Mental Health Ward. Some hospitals have one's for youth.

Medication has rarely helped me either. You say that your staying up all night and sleeping all day that in itself will make you depressed. Are there any other things that are keeping you busy. Work, School?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAgirl
Your house sounds like a toxic environment to me. No wonder your so depressed. Have you thought about moving out?
Yeah, I need to get some cash coming in first though. My SA has been so bad the past 3 years I've only gotten out a handful of times, and never for the sake of entertainment/enjoyment. Until that's fixed I wouldn't be able to handle a job

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAgirl
Medication has rarely helped me either. You say that your staying up all night and sleeping all day that in itself will make you depressed. Are there any other things that are keeping you busy. Work, School?
Nope, nothing.

I managed to get my sleeping back on trap over the past week, so now I've got to keep it here. My body hasn't readjusted yet, but already I've noticed the depression is gone. Though I am a bit grouchy :P

I tried medications twice back in high school. The first ones did nothing except make me have flu-like symptoms. The second turned me completely psychotic. I had to lock myself in my room for that night. After that experience I decided medications are out of the question.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:28 AM   #17 (permalink)

How do you like the outdoors?

You could just go solo camping for a week or 2. I've been thinking about doing this, "living off of the land." It'd be great at night with a fire to yourself, away from it all.
CeilingStarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:32 AM   #18 (permalink)

This is a thread from 2008. The OP probably won't respond.

And obviously that Paul guy just registered to give his spiel.

My SA has left me disabled and unable to work, but I made over a $1,000 dollars from home. Here's how.
Monroee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:18 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroee View Post
This is a thread from 2008. The OP probably won't respond.

And obviously that Paul guy just registered to give his spiel.

Acting clever over the internet will get you knowhere xx

I registered to try to help the person and to advise others.

My post included some of the best self help resources known to man.
Paul M W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

I have checkd my self in voluntery in a hospital actually in a few hospitals and by each hospital i had a different expirience
weter is offline   Reply With Quote