X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 12-18-2008, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Good Jobs For People With S.A.?

Wow, I just went around and read a few other posts about SA on the job... And I never realized how similar we all are!

We (people with SA) all seem to want the same thing in a job: To be able to just "do our work", earn our keep, and not interact with others too much.

Boy, if that's not the dream job for me, I don't know what is! Of course, don't think I can physically do a hard labor job, because I do have a bad case of "scoliosis" (a twist or abnormal bend in the spine) that makes it EXTREMELY painful for me to stand longer than 15 minutes at a time (which I know contributes to my weight problem).

But really, are there a whole lot of jobs where direct co-worker/people interaction isn't the life blood of the business?
Melissa569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Well, part of my working hours are in the stock support office of borough public libraries [the rest of my hours are in a library, face to face with customers]. The balance of office work with little interaction, and face to face work with lots of interaction suits me well.

The transfer to the office was part of my 'reasonable adjustments' for 'mental health disability'. [long term major depression, with anxiety and panic etc]
Eleison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

My dream job would be to folding clothes alone in the back of a clothes store or picking up trash in the parking lot away from people. Maybe washing produce by myself in the back of a grocery store.

How do you say goodbye, 

When you've hardly said hello?

snowfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

That would be a good job to have when we are dealing with sa. I don't thnk we would really want that though if we didn't have sa.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think that alot of people here are going about the job thing the wrong way.

What I mean is that they want a job that will sort of "fit" around their anxiety by not having to interact with others, etc...

I too used to want a job that didnt cause me too much anxiety. Unfortunately all of these jobs are way below my qualification level and I could only see myself being unhappy in such a job if it were long term.

Then I recently had an awakening of sorts because of my job situation. I realized that I have a freaking bachelor of science degree that I worked very hard for and I was applying for jobs such as the cleaning person at the local motel.

Then I sort of asked myself what do I want to do. I examined what my main talents are (music, school). Now my plans are to go to school for a music related job.

Its important to know what your talents are because I have found that once you are aware of them, you're more confident in that area. For instance I know that I am a very good guitarist and now I may be able to have a career doing what I love which is to play music.

I encourage everyone to examine their talents and not just "settle for less" because of anxiety. Just remember, dont build your life around anxiety but rather acknowledge that you have anxiety and you wont let it build your life.
Bob Slydell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

UPS isn't a bad job if you like some exercise while you work.

I am a Delivery Helper, which is only a seasonal thing, but I ride around with delivery guys. At first it's kind of uncomfortable because you may be working with different drivers on different days, but so far every person has been wonderful to work with. Even though I am a very quiet person, they don't seem to mind at all and actually seem to like working with me.

I wouldn't mind getting a full-time job there. There isn't a lot of stress involved.

I do, however, have a bachelor's in business administration, and a major in information technology, but at this point in my life, I really don't know or care what I want to be, so this UPS job is treating me well. Plus it's a union job. Full-time workers get paid well, nice benefits, and frequent raises.
flapjacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

I hear that! lol. I have no clue what I want to be either. My biggest natural talents and interests though would have to be writing (ebooks, novels, etc.. maybe I can get a novel published?), and editing videos on the computer. I'm currently writing 4 books, and I sell ebooks that I have writen on ebay (turn them into PDF files and create a hyperlink and insert the code for a paypal "click and pay" button on my website, so buyers can download them). I'm actually trying to figure out a way to make full-time money on ebay, or my website... I'm thinking of just researching all the subjects that are really hot with ebooks, and write my own ebook about each one, and sell it. If I research it, I can write it.

The reason I'm trying to get into that, is because someone said something rather interesting on youtube a while ago--- "Anything you know how to do, can be written down in an ebook and sold." That made a light go on in my brain, lol. So I worte ebooks about:

* Gardening fruits and vegetables (which I've been doing for the past 6 years, particularly tomatoes), a
* Improved intimacy for couples (for years, I wanted to be a marriage counselor, but they say that business isn't doing so good these days with the economy, but still, its an interest)
* How to write
* How to create, chop and edit videos on the computer
* How to make and sell ebooks

I'm just getitng started with all that, but I'm hoping it takes off. Or maybe as someone else suggested in another thread, I could get an online data entry job?? Wouldn't mind that. I'm really good with computers, and I can type pretty fast, so I'm just looking for something in that area, because that's what I know how to do.
Melissa569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

i work in a whisky distillery where i only work with 1 shift mate who is also my best friend. i get on with the job with noone bothering me and id say i've landed real lucky . and i earn 35k a year. and i get lots of free booze.
islandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well i'm training to be a medical transcriptionist cuz nonSA jobs would just be too overwhelming at the present time.
January 1991-February 19, 2007
lyssado707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyssado707 View Post
Well i'm training to be a medical transcriptionist cuz nonSA jobs would just be too overwhelming at the present time.
That sounds like something I might be interested in. How did you get into training? And how long is training.. and once you get the job, what does it look like the everyday duties/requirements might be like?
trevor35th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

how about a job in sales where youre forced to talk with people go through a bit of anxiety but get awesome people skills and own in life?

Add me on Facebook: Gary Uranga

Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa569 View Post
Good Jobs For People With S.A.
Seems a little oxymoronic!

Just Lurking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

As much as a behind-the-scenes job is desirable, I'm going to be a teacher. I really want to. If my writing was better than it is, I'd probably do that forever instead.
laura024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura024 View Post
As much as a behind-the-scenes job is desirable, I'm going to be a teacher. I really want to. If my writing was better than it is, I'd probably do that forever instead.
judging from your picture youd be liek that grade 2 teacher that every 8yr old would have a crush on, I rememebr mine, grade 1 mrs.pfferkorn

Old 01-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
judging from your picture youd be liek that grade 2 teacher that every 8yr old would have a crush on, I rememebr mine, grade 1 mrs.pfferkorn
lol aw. I was thinking of teaching high school but that could easily be a problem. I doubt they'd listen to me. 4th or 5th grade sounds more ideal. I guess I'll decide once I start my field experience.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

dont deny those lil kids their first heartbreak experience!!! I rememebr wehn we found out my teacher had a husband, he came pick her up after school, my friend cried, I was thinkign of reasons why I was better than that guy, wanted to write a list and give it to her :P

Old 01-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

I don't want to break a little kid's heart! They shouldn't have to feel that for years hah. All my elementary teachers were fairly old.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

lol youll be the young cutie teacher, doesnt that seem appealing to you

Old 01-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

lol sure. I just hope to be a good teacher that is respected by students and faculty.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjacker View Post
UPS isn't a bad job if you like some exercise while you work.
I've been working part-time for UPS for about 4 1/2 years. I work at the airport with air mail so our operation is quite different than the UPS ground operation.

I think it is a good job for SA. All you have to do is get up very early and work hard. There is some social interactions but it is mostly voluntary interaction. At the airport, we never deal with customers. I only talk to the people I work with, and on days I feel especially introverted, I don't really have to talk to anybody.

I receive a good amount of respect on my job, even though it is obvious that I'm socially inept and have few friends. People respect me because I work hard and I know a lot about the operation. Most employees' would rather work with a hard-working shy guy than a lazy, outgoing comedian. My point is that, in general, people with SA can be successful at this kind of job because one's work ethic is more important than one's social aptitude.... and I know that many of you-all are both industrious and intelligent.

UPS is a unionized job, so once you've gain a good deal of seniority, your job security will be substantial. Despite the terrible economy, I feel confident that I will not get laid-off. Another benefit of being in the union is great benefits. Even though I work part-time, I still get very good benefits (medical, vacation, sick leave, 401(k), etc.).

Of course, not everything is good about the job. Some of the things I don't like are: having to wake up at 2 AM; working outside in ANY weather; the work can be repetitive and boring; not mentally challenging.

If anybody here is considering UPS, I recommend you try the air operation. The air operation is not as physically demanding and the work is more varied.
J.T. is offline   Reply With Quote