X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 10-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Going to the dentist.

Man, I used to love going to the dentist. I had teeth pulled to get my braces put in...retainers, and all that good stuff. I still loved going to the dentist.

I started college with the goal of becoming a dentist... 8 years later, I'm a long way from that goal.

I had to go to the dentist today for a 6 month cleaning. Talk about bitter feelings. It takes 5mg of xanax just to get through the door. Everyone there is nice. However, I can help but feeling completely useless when I'm sitting in the chair.

I still like the office setup and how dentist office function, and if I had stayed with my course, I could BE a dentist right now...

Man, what could have been.
velocicaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Would being a dentist be the only thing that would make you happy? Imagine yourself in all sorts of scenarios, and figure out if there is something else you can do that will make you that happy. Even if it is something small, like volunteering somewhere (if you can handle that, I know I can't!) I know it doesn't compare to having a career, but you would absolutely be doing something worthwhile, and hopefully that would be enough to make you happy; if only for a little while

I know it's pretty much impossible, but try not to think of 'would could have been'. It's a self-destructive attitude, and nothing will come of it Having said that, I have the biggest regrets about not doing some things in my life, and I do think about what could have been... it's too hard not to. Just try! It works sometimes
stig6 is offline   Reply With Quote