X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 06-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Going to sporting events alone?

I was feeling pretty good about myself because I scored tickets for the Mets Yankees game at Citi Field on Saturday through an online lottery. I was planning on asking my sister and brother in law to go to the game, but then they said they were going to Las Vegas on that day. So I put the tickets up for sale on StubHub and sold them, with the exception of one. So it looks like I'm going to to the game solo. Now back when my SA was less severe, I used to go to games at Shea Stadium by myself alot. But now, I hardly do this since I tend to get alot more self conscious. Practically everyone there is talking and laughing with friends or significant others, and it seems like I stick out like a sore thumb. I have no problem going to the movies alone, since it's dark most of the time, and I'm less likely to get noticed. Anyone go to sporting events alone? And if you do how do you cope with it?
richiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've never even been to a sporting even because I'm scared to go alone and I have literally NOBODY to go with me. I'm even scared to go to the movies alone. But good luck with that
holdencaulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

I went to a few hockey games alone, the section I sat in is where the regulars and season ticket holders sat, so you kind of get to know people by face and or name. I don't think I would have gone if I had different seats. I don't think I could handle not being in the same area I always sat in, I guess that is a comfort zone, I don't know.
I don't know how to handle sa with sporting events. I guess if you really want to see a game then go. It's hard enough to find friends let alone someone that likes sports, for me that is like finding a 4 leaf clover.

I know this is probably no help, thought I share

shy
shygirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ah man. I would of gone with you. LOL. I've gone to Rangers games alone plenty of times, usually because someone cancelled on me at the last minute. During actual play, it's not so bad, but, it gets kind of awkward during intermissions because everyone is walking around and talking, etc. I'm usually just playing with my iPhone during intermissions, don't usually get up, too many people in the hallways. I'm actually pretty loud at games, I get pretty into it. A lot of people just go to games because it's something to do or to get drunk. I'm not like that at all. I really care about my team, follow the league, watch ever single game, etc. It might be a little tougher being alone at a baseball game because there's not as much action (in my opinion) and people are being distracted easily, more talking with each other. Let us know how it goes.
NYR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiek View Post
Practically everyone there is talking and laughing with friends or significant others, and it seems like I stick out like a sore thumb.
Nobody will be aware that you exist. They're busy either talking and laughing with friends or watching the game.

I've been to a handful of baseball games alone. Nobody has ever looked at me or talked to me. It's not a social situation. It's much less socially dangerous than going to the grocery store (since people will sometimes notice you or say hi at the store).
Old 06-26-2009, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have never gone to a sporting event alone. I have gone to hundreds with my dad over the years (Texas Rangers games mostly). I live near the new Cowboys stadium and I am definitely going to find a way to go even if it means alone. Funny enough, though, I took a tour of the Cowboys stadium today alone (my father was out of town and my girlfriend is busy all week). I felt awkward the whole time because I was the only one there out of probably 50 that was alone. I felt the whole fight or flight response the whole time and the self-consciousness thing was happening big time. I enjoyed seeing the new stadium but, again, the SA dampened the experience like it does with everything when there are people around. It's so difficult to constantly reason with myself that no one can hurt me emotionally except myself. I just think that other people have that power. Its obviously true but its so stupid that I just can't seem to shake the feeling that other people think that I am weird or stupid or whatever and because of that its just a horrible, horrible thing. Ugh, the BS that I take seriously! After the tour was over I felt mentally wiped out. Not surprised.
bht96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would NEVER go alone. I would feel like such a loser. I've only ever gone to a movie (BORAT) alone and left 20 minutes early because I felt so sh*tty about being alone. I felt like the couple next to me were pitying me and giving me looks like I was such a complete loner. Never again.

Good for you if you can manage it without becoming self-conscious.
justforester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

I once went alone to a free football game. during the day. It was alright. There was hardly anyone there and it was at a massive stadium. That was a few years ago. Im not sure I could go alone at night. I was thinking about going recently when a friend bailed out on me but I didnt.
12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Like I said before, movies aren't a problem to me. However, going to a packed house (like I did when I went to see Transformers 2) is much more of a problem than a half empty theater, since it exposes my aloneness ("Excuse me, is this seat taken?"). Also, a half empty theater tend to have more people seeing the film by themselves. Anyway, we'll see what happens tonight.
richiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

My suggestion if you are going to the game alone is to get a small hand-held radio and just have the earbuds in the whole time. Maybe even get a score card and keep score/teach yourself to keep score. You'd be able to enjoy the game, and have enough of a distraction to not worry about what else is going on.
shyguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

I would think that at a large event like that you could just get lost in the crowd and no one would pay any attention to you.
fern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

I have been to many sporting events alone, hockey and baseball. I find most times you meet people there and end up chatting with them so its not so bad. At Expos games I used to go by myself and then I met some regulars and I'd sit with them most nights. it was really cool. Also sometimes I'd see left field completely empty and I'd go over there to sit. It was pretty awesome having left field to myself.
IHeartSteveMcQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

I've only ever been to sporting events alone (soccer and rugby). I usually notice plenty of other people who have gone alone as well so I know it's not an abnormal thing to do. I don't find it a big problem. I just go, concentrate on the game, and leave. It took me quite a while to pluck up the courage to go to my first game but it was all fine. The only thing that bothers me about going alone is the fact that I'm alone and have nobody to enjoy it with. I don't really care about people seeing that I'm a loner.
whiterabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiek View Post
I was feeling pretty good about myself because I scored tickets for the Mets Yankees game at Citi Field on Saturday through an online lottery. I was planning on asking my sister and brother in law to go to the game, but then they said they were going to Las Vegas on that day. So I put the tickets up for sale on StubHub and sold them, with the exception of one. So it looks like I'm going to to the game solo. Now back when my SA was less severe, I used to go to games at Shea Stadium by myself alot. But now, I hardly do this since I tend to get alot more self conscious. Practically everyone there is talking and laughing with friends or significant others, and it seems like I stick out like a sore thumb. I have no problem going to the movies alone, since it's dark most of the time, and I'm less likely to get noticed. Anyone go to sporting events alone? And if you do how do you cope with it?
sporting events is one of the only situtions i feel confortable going to alone

if i go to the pub everyone is talking and left sitting ther twiddling my thumb like a spare part and eveyone is looking at me thinking ''what on earth is he doing sitting there on his own in silence ? ''

the worst part about it is that time drags cos im sitting there doing nothing

but at a football match im there to watch the game. time does not drag, infact it flys cos im having fun watching the game.
nobdy is looking at me weirdly and thinking ht is he doing. why should they ? im just doing a im supposed to be doing - watching game

and nobodyis focused on me cos they are focused on the game

the only problem is half time when everyone is soiallizing and im twiddling my thumbs but that only lasts 15 mins and the game lasts 90 mins
socially inept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by socially inept View Post

if i go to the pub everyone is talking and left sitting ther twiddling my thumb like a spare part and eveyone is looking at me thinking ''what on earth is he doing sitting there on his own in silence ? ''

the worst part about it is that time drags cos im sitting there doing nothing

but at a football match im there to watch the game. time does not drag, infact it flys cos im having fun watching the game.
nobdy is looking at me weirdly and thinking ht is he doing. why should they ? im just doing a im supposed to be doing - watching game

and nobodyis focused on me cos they are focused on the game

the only problem is half time when everyone is soiallizing and im twiddling my thumbs but that only lasts 15 mins and the game lasts 90 mins
Pretty much the same sentiments I have. I go to games to watch my team and focus on the game. I can really get into it and yell. Except, I have to deal with two 15 minute intermissions (hockey).
NYR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by socially inept View Post
I agree that it is comfortable going to a sporting event alone since it is perfectly acceptable as a social norm. Plenty of people go to football and the like alone and no-one is bothered by it.

Quote:
You could always try to buy something at half-time if you wanted to waste some time, but it could mean a lot of waiting in a line and perhaps missing out on some of the match, depending where you go, so it is not a golden solution. You could try playing a mobile phone game to waste some of that time.
JS86 is offline   Reply With Quote