X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 01-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Food phobias, food anxiety?

I donít know if this relates to social anxiety, but it certainly affects my social phobia A LOT!

I have a lot of anxiety regarding food, I hate eating around other people, I hate everything about it, I hate looking at people eating, I hate the noises they make, I get paranoid about how I look when I eat and the noises I make.

But on top of it all I have a lot of weird foodphobias. Particularly mixing textures and things like vegetables and meat (most of the time I use separate plates) and single food items such as mushrooms, mayonnaise, soft cheese, onions, gravy and anything with sour cream anywhere near it (plus a ton of other foods like paprika and tomato). And it really makes it difficult being social or even trying because people seem to be eating everywhere- even on the bus! And going to dinner parties is just impossible. Resturants- no way! The worst is that my family and friends seem to have no understanding of it. They often get angry and insulted if I canít eat what they want me to eat. And itís many things that are so silly, like bread and jam. But to me bread and jam might as well be dead spiders.

Does anyone else have it like this?
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have phobia of certain foods. Like, i hate mashed potatoes and any other mashed foods. (and EVERYONE loves those! So there's no getting away from it.) I hate peanut butter and jelly, i hate when people put ketchup on anything. I hate saurkraut. I hate peas. I am really afraid of having to see or smell any of those things, and afraid of any of those things touching anything that i have to eat. I can't stand to be at the same table as someone eating foods i can't stand being around. If i accidentally eat any of those things (because I didn't know it would be in whatever i was eating) i immediately have to throw up.
Boring Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird woman View Post
I can't stand to be at the same table as someone eating foods i can't stand being around. If i accidentally eat any of those things (because I didn't know it would be in whatever i was eating) i immediately have to throw up.
I feel the same way. People think I just dont like certain food, but I get physicly ill and panicky if Im even close, or just smelling them.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hey guys I"m looking to develop a TV series in Canada based on phobias, and the importance we need to place on them and treatment options. As a fellow member with anxiety and previous panic attacks would be great to expose different phobias to an Canadian audience. Here's my posting if anyone is interested in sharing their stories:

Are you or a loved one struggling with a debilitating phobia? Does your condition currently affect your day–to-day life? Is your phobia due a childhood trauma or frightening experience?

A new Television Series in development is searching for Canadians willing to share their stories, and expose their phobias, with the aim of educating individuals about the severity of phobias in our society, and possible treatment options.

We are looking for Canadian men and women of any age who have been through a frightening, or traumatic experience and are now struggling with a serious phobia. Fears in all shapes and sizes welcome! The aim is to expose the severity of phobias; no one is alone, and there is treatment out there!

If interested please send some information and a brief story about your phobia experience to: phobic123@gmail.com
Phobic123 is offline   Reply With Quote