X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 04-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Finding strength in being alone.

A couple days ago I finally woke up and became aware of how weak I am. I've been feeling lonely for so long that I let it take control of my life, but now I aim to become stronger and better at being alone with every passing day.

I'm starting to not care what people think of me and whether or not someone likes me is not having much of an effect on me anymore. The extreme jealousy and loneliness I used to experience are giving way to acceptance. It's like I'm detaching from other people and learning to care about and understand MYSELF.

I've always put all my focus on making other people happy and finding a girlfriend to make me feel better about myself, but I think this is something I'm going to have to do on my own. Until I learn to love myself, I won't be able to love a woman anyway because I'm just going to be a needy, jealous ball of insecurity.

I need to have a solid foundation and sense of self or the world is going to rip me apart. I need to start defining exactly who I am and what I stand for instead of just REACTING to the world around me. Somewhere in the chaos of my thoughts I have to start drawing lines and take a stand.
AmericanZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

You are on the right path, AmericanZero. When you reach the end of it, I am sure you will like what you see: A mirror with an awesome reflection
Corvus Cowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanZero View Post
A couple days ago I finally woke up and became aware of how weak I am. I've been feeling lonely for so long that I let it take control of my life, but now I aim to become stronger and better at being alone with every passing day.

I'm starting to not care what people think of me and whether or not someone likes me is not having much of an effect on me anymore. The extreme jealousy and loneliness I used to experience are giving way to acceptance. It's like I'm detaching from other people and learning to care about and understand MYSELF.

I've always put all my focus on making other people happy and finding a girlfriend to make me feel better about myself, but I think this is something I'm going to have to do on my own. Until I learn to love myself, I won't be able to love a woman anyway because I'm just going to be a needy, jealous ball of insecurity.

I need to have a solid foundation and sense of self or the world is going to rip me apart. I need to start defining exactly who I am and what I stand for instead of just REACTING to the world around me. Somewhere in the chaos of my thoughts I have to start drawing lines and take a stand.
Is it better to change your self to be more social since this is what the world wants but unfortunately this is very difficult for me, or is it better to just accept the fact that I will be alone forever and just have to find ways on how to cope up?
Setolac is offline   Reply With Quote