X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 05-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Feeling like an outcast at work?

Do u ever feel like this? I feel like this day in day out, everyone is in there cliques while I have always been the lone ranger, I never seem to fit in at any job I've had, even when you do try and make an effort with people they talk down to you like your a child or something, its a long day with no one to talk to.
thequietmanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

I feel like this when I take my son to school. He started in the middle of a term so all the mums already knew each other and had forms groups. When he first started I tried smiling at them, making eye contact and saying hi as I walked past, but none of them have ever spoken to me other than to say hi back and I daren't talk to them. And now I feel like its too late to do much about it now because they've already decided that I'm weird/quiet or something.

And when I had a job it was the same for me too. It does make a long day even longer.
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
I feel like this when I take my son to school. He started in the middle of a term so all the mums already knew each other and had forms groups. When he first started I tried smiling at them, making eye contact and saying hi as I walked past, but none of them have ever spoken to me other than to say hi back and I daren't talk to them. And now I feel like its too late to do much about it now because they've already decided that I'm weird/quiet or something.

And when I had a job it was the same for me too. It does make a long day even longer.
Exactly, Once people have made up there mind about you its hard if not impossible to change it.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequietmanuk View Post
Exactly, Once people have made up there mind about you its hard if not impossible to change it.
First impressions count. That makes me nervous. I never leave a good first impression.
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

This speaks the truth about me at work. I hate being shy cuz even when I do make an effort to talk, they never really talk to me, i have to do the small talk. And I never get asked out for lunch or anything. No matter what job I have, I'm always have to be the shy one, seems like I'm the only one that's shy everywhere I go. I am so nice and I have such a huge heart and I would do anything for anyone, but yet no one wants to talk to me or give me a chance.

I am just so depressed, if anyone wants to talk while there at work, pm me.
Jillianzarnowiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillianzarnowiec View Post
This speaks the truth about me at work. I hate being shy cuz even when I do make an effort to talk, they never really talk to me, i have to do the small talk. And I never get asked out for lunch or anything. No matter what job I have, I'm always have to be the shy one, seems like I'm the only one that's shy everywhere I go. I am so nice and I have such a huge heart and I would do anything for anyone, but yet no one wants to talk to me or give me a chance.

Oh I can relate about being left out of lunch, I've lost time the amount of times i've gone into the canteen to get my lunch to discover everyone else has went out for lunch without inviting me.

And yes its also me making the small talk but its like trying to get blood out a stone, one word responses and not really getting anywhere.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

All the time, I get the feeling people there hate me.
Josh90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

yep. i don't think anyone really likes me at work lol.
Haydsmom2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

I am an outcast everywhere I go. It has been like this my whole life.
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Fortunately everyone at my job is really nice & accepting. But I do know exactly what you mean. If you are yourself & atleast make an attempt to start a conversation with them, then it may not have anything to do with you. Maybe they are just immature adults who haven't grown up yet. I know that if I see someone who is shyer than me, I will always try to reach out to them. If they have already established their own cliques then they could atleast be a little bit more accpeting and inviting to you. My point is, you shouldn't beat yourself up to much about it if they aren't being very welcoming to you either.
ladylone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Jillianzarnowiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

the reason I am unemployed is because I dont last in the workplace longer than 2/3 months, I can't do small talk or getting to know people so i feel left out, and i get progressively more anxious the longer I stay there; the more the people 'get to know me' the more terrified i get.

I would love to have money dont get me wrong but for now being unemployed and poor is way better than being anxious and still poor at work!
antianx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:21 AM   #13 (permalink)

This is one of my big problems in the workplace. I actually get on well with, and am accepted by the few I work directly with, but all the managers and the rest of the company either dislike me or don't care to know me... mainly because I'm quiet, shy and seemingly avoidant of them.

Yeah, work is the source of most of my depression/despair in life. I know I have to move on from this workplace soon (menial job I can't believe I'm still doing), but I can't stomach going through the process again.
CeilingStarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeilingStarer View Post
This is one of my big problems in the workplace. I actually get on well with, and am accepted by the few I work directly with, but all the managers and the rest of the company either dislike me or don't care to know me... mainly because I'm quiet, shy and seemingly avoidant of them.

Yeah, work is the source of most of my depression/despair in life. I know I have to move on from this workplace soon (menial job I can't believe I'm still doing), but I can't stomach going through the process again
I am exactly the same. Work is the major cause of my anxiety and depression, people can be so horrible, I never had any issues at school only when I went into the work place. I also have a menial job which I dislike, I never planed on staying but 5 years later I am still here, I really need to do something but its all to much effort. Even if I did in the UK the job situation is dire.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequietmanuk View Post
I am exactly the same. Work is the major cause of my anxiety and depression, people can be so horrible, I never had any issues at school only when I went into the work place. I also have a menial job which I dislike, I never planed on staying but 5 years later I am still here, I really need to do something but its all to much effort. Even if I did in the UK the job situation is dire.
Aha, I just clocked up my 5 years here too. Sounds like we are leading similar lives.
CeilingStarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #16 (permalink)

i've never been able to find real friends from work, and yeah generally i feel like an outcast when there are colleagues involved.
JamesV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #17 (permalink)

I feel when I'm at work, I'm always being judged. I find it difficult at best to talk to people, and when I do it's like there's an anxiety countdown clock, the longer the coversation lasts, the more the anxiety builds. Eye contact is really difficult I always look at the person first for a split second and then usually down and tithe right. I don't understand it and it's quite frustrating. The people I work with are really friendly, not sure why I feel as if I'm being judged all the time.
strawz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #18 (permalink)

Put me on the list... i'm exactly the same.
no matter how hard I try.. can't fit in with anyone. people always say.."be yourself". but being myself only get me nowhere. I have to act like one of them by studying what their interests are and add commands here and there. I did this but it didn't like very long.
all I wish is my life can be donated to someone who really need it.
rkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #19 (permalink)

I feel like this.. ESPECIALLY AT CHURCH. People just refuse to let new people into their clique. I understand. I don't really care honestly. I'm just there to work and make money.
Farideh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #20 (permalink)

I have been in situations like that quite a lot. If you're quiet then even when you make the effort people still ignore you or look down on you. I guess when you have social problems it stands out a mile. Not every situation has been that bad but in general i have felt like an outsider, frozen out by the others and even persecuted to the point of wanting to leave.
andy0128 is offline   Reply With Quote