X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 01-25-2011, 01:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fear of being homeless

I've had many irrational fears in my life, most notably what I can only describe as a week long constant panic attack involving a fear where I was convinced a volcano was going to erupt and kill me. And I live in Ohio, where there are no volcanoes whatsoever.

Lately, I've been having a constant nagging fear that I'll be homeless. I'm 22 and live with my dad. I'm pretty much dependent on him. I have no job, and no way to get one. There are no places within walking distance that I could apply to, I have no friends who could offer me transportation, there is no available public transportation, and my dad works two jobs and is almost never home.

I'm constantly wondering, how am I supposed to live on my own? I'm even too afraid of people to apply for a job, granted if I had my own car I'd certainly try. But what if something happens to my dad? He's pretty much the only family I have. If anything were to happen to him, I'd be homeless, cause I can't think of anything I could do to support myself. I also have two cats, and I worry even more about what would happen to them.

Does anyone else share a fear of being homeless?
Magica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

I sorta do too.....Im 30 and my parents are in their late 50's.....they own the house I am now in.....no mortgage...but if something happened to them and this was my house i dont even think i could afford all the bills/taxes.......so i dunno what id do
Kustamogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magica View Post
I've had many irrational fears in my life, most notably what I can only describe as a week long constant panic attack involving a fear where I was convinced a volcano was going to erupt and kill me. And I live in Ohio, where there are no volcanoes whatsoever.

Lately, I've been having a constant nagging fear that I'll be homeless. I'm 22 and live with my dad. I'm pretty much dependent on him. I have no job, and no way to get one. There are no places within walking distance that I could apply to, I have no friends who could offer me transportation, there is no available public transportation, and my dad works two jobs and is almost never home.

I'm constantly wondering, how am I supposed to live on my own? I'm even too afraid of people to apply for a job, granted if I had my own car I'd certainly try. But what if something happens to my dad? He's pretty much the only family I have. If anything were to happen to him, I'd be homeless, cause I can't think of anything I could do to support myself. I also have two cats, and I worry even more about what would happen to them.

Does anyone else share a fear of being homeless?
I am in the exact same situation as you. I have no drivers license and won't be getting one anytime soon. The only jobs that i can apply to have to be very close to home. I was lucky enough to get a minuscule job cleaning office buildings. I don't know how long this job will last and don't really care if i lose it because its not like i can make a living from it.

I live with my dad and even though he is retired from his old job he is still working and going to school. I am entirely dependent on him and my mom.

I don't really see myself getting a "proper" job. Ive really dug myself into a hole as far as lack of job experience goes.
KennethJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

I am assuming you are in the US of A.
If you don't fear travel, when time comes, sell everything and put that money in bank CDs and live on the interest in 3rd world cheaper country.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

i wouldnt mind being homeless but i can't be broke.
mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

What I fear is that, due to my fundamental inadequacy, I won't be survive financially in the "real world". I seriously worry that I could never possibly find a job. If I were to find one, it would probably pay quite poorly. I fear failure intensely. I see homelessness as the ultimate outcome of a person's failure to function in the economy. (Of course it's a little more nuanced than that). Therefore I fear homelessness while also being fascinated with it. If I were homeless, I would no longer need to fear failure.

To be fair, my situation could be worse. I'm not entirely without skills. I live independently now and I'm working on a master's degree. I support myself through teaching, stipends and loans. I make ends meet, more or less. But it's not the "real world" just yet. I'm insulated from the state of the economy. I don't need to hunt for jobs, nor do I need to pay taxes.
LatchKeyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm pretty "close to the edge" already myself. Can't live with parents forever. I need a job somewhere so I can save up money. But it's nearly impossible today. One thing people have to realize is that parents won't be here forever. Without friends and connections you only have yourself to rely on. This country is having a huge crisis among young people today. Eventually it will be unavoidable. Young people won't be able to live a stable life. Homeless rates will rise. I am scared of it. But I'd probably just deal with it for as long as I could before I was killed or died from exposure/illness. When a person is forced to live a lifestyle they don't want to they start to turn crazy or snap or do something awful. But society doesn't care. The world is an evil place where you are always on your own and nobody loves you or is there for you. No friends to reach out to when something happens to you so you have to be depressed and worried and hurt by yourself in your room.
stranger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

go get some social welfare, please dont tell me you dont live in europe.
Caswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

It is a fear of mine, but I try to build myself a safety net. I save almost all the money I've ever earned and think of different plans of what to do if it's a problem.

I once knew a woman that lived in her car, and for money she became a human guinea pig. She didn't look like a homeless person (except her car was filled with stuff). I only knew because she told everyone that every few weeks she stayed in a hospital where she is involved in a medical study testing out medications. I guess that's one option.
Silent Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

I've never earned a buck in my life and my only interests are in art, something that I know would be ruined for me if I had to depend on it for a living, but even that's probably not possible since I have no formal training in anything artistic. My parents are also going to retire in like five years.

Worst case scenario I end up under a bridge within a decade. Best case scenario I end up being a miserable, friendless janitor living in a crappy apartment until I die, although I hear even that can be a difficult occupation to break into. **** this world.

I'm screwed.
Morke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennethJones View Post
I am in the exact same situation as you. I have no drivers license and won't be getting one anytime soon.
I thought the same thing, that I'd never be able to get a drivers license but I managed to get one this past summer, but haven't used it since then. Plus I'm absolutely terrified to drive, partly due to the fact that I almost got into an accident twice, and I don't feel I can pay enough attention to the road.

@those who wondered, yes I do live in the USA. According to my research the only welfare available is to families, not individuals. And since I don't have kids, I'm basically screwed.

I don't even know if I want to go to college. I thought about going for an art major since I love to draw both digitally and traditionally, but I have no confidence in my abilities. I was more considering a career in either chemistry or technology but I feel that I won't be able to keep up with college work and/or that it will be too hard, and I will eventually flunk out.

I talked to my dad for about the zillionth time, to see if he can help me get a job. I don't even know if I'll be able to work properly but I have to at least try. If I can handle that maybe I can save for a car and then eventually get a better job. I just want enough money to put a roof over me and my cats heads, and feed us. That's all. He also said he had life insurance which according to him means I'll have enough money to figure out how to get out on my own for a year or two, which is a little reassuring.

For now I really need a doc's opinion, I'm honestly not even sure if I have social anxiety. I know I get anxious, and have been extremely anxious lately. I get depressed, mood swings, confusion, and many other issues. I hope soon I can get that sorted out too.
Magica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have the same problem. I only have my parents, and my boyfriend. I do have a car, but a crappy one. I guess I'm lucky in that my boyfriend works hard, and has an okay job, even though it doesn't pay a lot, so I guess we would always at least have a crappy place to live. If he would leave me though, I'm freakin' screwed. I'm only ever going to be able to handle low paying jobs I think, because I majored in psych, and I don't think I can handle going back to school ever again.

I worry about if something happens to my boyfriend/parents/sister one day, and I'm left with no one. Even if I do have kids who could help me..that's just sad if they have to take care of me. I try to leave even 100 dollars in my account, just so I have something to start with, just in case.

plastics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Definitely go for the technology degree...

Yes I'm afraid I may become homeless...I have a job interview tomorrow and even in my position I'm still looking for ways to get out of it because of SA...

I guess there's always three hots and cot...
ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

Becoming homeless is a very real possibility for me to, I can't find suitable work and I don't have anyone to support me, life wasn’t meant to be like this, I have recently started meds and therapy so hopefully I can turn this s**t around.

On the subject of irrational fears when I was a teenager I was scared of being abducted by aliens and I thought the future was going to be a post apocalyptic war zone, too much smoking weed and watching sci-fi.
angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yes. I'm in school at the moment and living at home, but when I look at the state of the economy and especially the job market... I'm honestly scared. Scared that I'll never be able to get a job that I can support myself on, pay rent, buy food, etc.
readyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magica View Post

@those who wondered, yes I do live in the USA. According to my research the only welfare available is to families, not individuals. And since I don't have kids, I'm basically screwed.

Man, I'm really sorry you have to live in the US. we dont get to choose were we are born and to be punished for that is kind a bummer.
Sad to see that people in the US dont care at all about their fellow human being, so selfish and greedy. you have to worry about getting homeless. poor country.
more so because they judge homeless people and dont have any empathy for them, and think its all their fault. they dont take any responsiblity for the weak. sounds like a nightmare to me
Old 01-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswell View Post
Man, I'm really sorry you have to live in the US. we dont get to choose were we are born and to be punished for that is kind a bummer.
Sad to see that people in the US dont care at all about their fellow human being, so selfish and greedy. you have to worry about getting homeless. poor country.
more so because they judge homeless people and dont have any empathy for them, and think its all their fault. they dont take any responsiblity for the weak.
That's the truth. Western society is on it's way down.
stranger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger25 View Post
That's the truth. Western society is on it's way down.
If people in masses get homeless it would be personally easier for me to deal with it, it wont be a stigma any more and there are a lot of people you can make do with.

The think I wouldnt like the most about homelessness is all other people doing fine and looking down on me as if Im a worthless human being.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

I'm quite concerned about being homeless, because that would mean (to me, anyway) being at the mercy of Everybody Else, for food, shelter, clothing, etc.
I happen to own, and drive, an old, souped-up car (what is commonly called a 'street rod') that is kind of a rolling Rorshach test...I don't doubt for a minute that someone who really coveted my car would kill me for it. It's funny, or strange, or whatever...in past years, I always found a bit of camaraderie in owning and driving this car. I've owned it since I was 17, and it's always been a part of my life, and I've recently noticed a surprising amount of negativity and outright dislike by the locals towards me and the car.

I completely agree with the above posts about the General Public, en large, viewing someone as a 'loser'...hey, not everybody can be the acclaim-winning student who plays quarterback on the title-winning team and goes on to take their pick of well-paying positions at a prestigious company.
This nation has had a weird, twisted-up set of 'values' for a while, now, and it isn't getting any better.

As for homelessness, I do think about it, sometimes dwell on it...it's never far from my mind. I cared for my late Father, who suffered from Alzheimer's and COPD, until he passed away three years ago. Yeah, I know, it cost me one heckuva lot, in terms of financial preparation for my own 'old age', but I didn't mind caring for him, because he was all the family I had. It was particularly disconcerting to hear some negatively-fixated people in the community saying how I was just 'sponging' off him, but there's always some extremely negative person like that out there. I have exactly myself and me to rely on for everything, these days, and sometimes it isn't very easy, realizing that I need to find a place I can live and a job I can perform, rather soon, before I run out of money and wind up living out of my car under a bridge somewhere.
vond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #20 (permalink)

If people, en masse, become homeless, Caswell, we'll know then that the **** has really hit the fan. Anarchy and chaos would result, and the 'Have-Some's ' will be venting their rage and unrest upon the 'Haven't Any's ', with the 'Haven't Any's ' returning the rage and frustration upon what's left of Society.

Not a pretty picture.
vond is offline   Reply With Quote