X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 12-16-2008, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Facebook is dumb!!

Does anyone else find facebook annoying? My cousins sort of forced me into starting a facebook page and now I want to quit. It seems so dumb. One of my cousins has over 500 friends (she's 30) and my other cousins have around 100 friends on average (they are also in their 30s.) Anyway, I really haven't kept up with people so I just have them as friends since they wanted me to join so bad and now I want to quit. The whole premise just seems so dumb.
bluewater01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not into that stuff, either. For one thing, I'd only have like maybe 10 friends on it. All of younger friends and younger people I know have it, but almost no one over the age of 30 I know has a facebook page. We jokingly make fun of our younger friends that have one. One of our friends who is 34 just created one and he call him an Uncle Tom now for selling out and creating one.
Solitario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

LOL. Yeah, I will be quitting very soon. The reality is, I don't want them to know how much of a social loser I am so I am going to quit and tell them that I didn't have time to keep up with it. It's really embarrasing to have 11 friends. All but 2 of them are my cousins so they know that I just really have them on my page.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just tell them that facebook isn't your thing. No biggie.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah...I'm not really into Facebook. I have one, but almost all of the friend requests I get are from people that either never talked to me in high school...or I just didn't like. It just reminds me of college night at the bar or something. I much prefer Myspace because more of my REAL friends are on there.
adsf321dsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

The problem with Facebook is not being able to design the page. It's weird some of the functions it has. It took me awhile to figure it out. I'm only adding people I know in real life on my account. So far I've got only three people,former co-workers. I've been through a lot of co-workers where I worked last.
"A simple man believes everything he hears; a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15-The New English Bible
'O the depth of God's richness and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgements are and past tracing out his ways are!'-Romans 11:33
Anxiety75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

I bet if you had 300 friends on facebook you'd love it.

Why don't you want them to know you don't have a lot of friends? Is it going to hurt them? If they think you're a nice person they wouldn't use it against you. And if they did... that's kinda ****ty of them isn't it?

Anyway, I think you should stay on and work on creating a more carefree image of yourself.
Anon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

I don't get how these people have 500 "friends". I haven't even spoke one word to 500 people in my LIFE!
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Noca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

I pretty much stopped visiting the site after noticing I was someone's friend #702. I keep in touch with the following, and not on a regular basis: One sister. One friend.
IllusionOfHappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon7 View Post
I bet if you had 300 friends on facebook you'd love it.

Why don't you want them to know you don't have a lot of friends? Is it going to hurt them? If they think you're a nice person they wouldn't use it against you. And if they did... that's kinda ****ty of them isn't it?

Anyway, I think you should stay on and work on creating a more carefree image of yourself.

Do you have an account?
Old 12-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon7 View Post

Why don't you want them to know you don't have a lot of friends? Is it going to hurt them?
I just don't want them to think less of me.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

Facebook and Myspace just make me bitter. :P

It seems the only people I end up talking to are the 2 women that broke my heart in the past. Where's the fun in that? haha, I somehow manage to have like 100 friends, all these people from high school that I never even talked to. These sites aren't meant for people like us . The whole idea bugs me, let alone the fact that the sites are worth millions.

Why didn't I think of such an easy idea? Damn! Stupid website creators making millions for nothing, just simple code.
radiohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by polythene View Post
I end up not adding some people because I don't want them to know the paltry number of people I have on my friends list, but otherwise it's not that big a deal. You should delete your account if it's bother you to that degree.
This is exactly why I didn't want to keep the account. The fear of adding people and them seeing how many friends I had. I just deactivated it and I feel SO much better!
Old 12-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca View Post
I don't get how these people have 500 "friends". I haven't even spoke one word to 500 people in my LIFE!
It's all Bs man,300 friends and more than half are peopole they met once twice.... blah blah Hell I have 80 something on mine and I talk to maybe 5 of the 80 on a regular basis that includes co-workers. I go on only when I have a message otherwise I ignore it for the most part.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

I don't go on facebook anymore because I didn't like it with all the weird applications and everything. I'm still on myspace though and almost all my friends on there are people I actually know in real life like old high school friends. I never understood the people who have hundreds of friends on myspace and don't even know most of or any of those people in real life.
Mr Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

I signed up for facebook back it when it was brand new, I think I have about 75 people on it now. The vast majority of those are people from my old high school, maybe 50% of that group are people I was more than a faint acquaintance with.

The way it's been re-designed, there's not really any point to looking at people's profile pages. I just log in when I'm bored and see if people posted any new status updates or photos.

It's trendy to message people and add applications and make tons of wall posts, but you're really not expected to do anything at all, you can just observe. I know "popular" people who might have lots of friends, but very stripped-down facebook profiles and they hardly log in just because they don't feel comfortable putting much online.

Now Myspace is something I don't understand. As far as I can tell, its only purpose is for teenagers (because that's where are all the other teens are), to put up a quickie web page for your band (don't have one), or to pick up random girls for casual sex (don't know how to do that). Actually, that's how I first heard of Myspace, my friend wanted me to get an account and log in so I could "rate" different girls he was talking to. That was what, 4 years ago now? I feel old.
mountain5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

You know what, I had all those apprehensions with facebook or myspace. I was scared about people realizing how little of a social life I had. I was scared of opening up my life to other people. But I realized that in order to get better, I need to put myself out there so I created a facebook account. I even posted it on the triumphs forum. Yes, it's just an online website and yes, I think facebook is silly. But, it's a good way to connect to people you already know and isn't that what we all want? We wouldn't be here if we didn't want to get rid of our social anxiety. And yes, I want to get rid of my SA so I made a step forward and hopefully in the long run, it would pay off.
heymikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater01 View Post
I just don't want them to think less of me.
They won't think less of you. Do you judge people based on how many friends they have on facebook? Don't you think you're assuming they're ****ty people?

There's nothing wrong with not having many facebook friends. If someone else tries to make you feel bad because of something like that, they are in the wrong, not you.

I'm forming new opinions on social anxiety. Is it that we care too much what people think, or is it that we don't care enough? We don't want to make the small sacrifice of making ourselves more vulnerable in order to make people think of us as better people.

People with social anxiety are looking for approval from others, but I don't think that's bad, I just think they look for the wrong type of approval. Instead of being praised for being good looking, talented, or intelligent, why not try to earn praise for being a person who's just pleasant to be around?
Anon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:31 AM   #19 (permalink)

Actually I don't think it is dumb :P
Cypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:05 AM   #20 (permalink)

come on, people. I can guarantee you that no one on your friends list cares how many friends you have. Even if you only have 2-3 on there, no one is going to judge you based on that, and if they do, **** 'em. It's not a contest or anything. And I think it's a pretty good way to experiment socially.
And another thing, I dont see why everyone hates the people with hundreds of friends. If you think about it, it's not that hard to see how it would get that high, with years of high school and college and stuff. It's not all just people they met once or twice either, but why should that bother anyone? I'm sure we can all be like that if we stop obsessing over tiny irrelevant **** like this.
WayOut is offline   Reply With Quote