X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 03-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default EXTREME fluctuation of moods?

Not from day to day, but from minute to minute. I feel insane. One minute I am feeling so good inside, and then the next I feel hopeless and depressed. I don't know what triggers this. I feel like I am ok when something good happens, but when something bad happens (or what I perceive as bad) all that positivity goes out the window. Sometimes even second to second. I didn't used to feel like this in the past (before I was bullied) but I am not trying to use that as an excuse for my feelings now. I know I can be in control of my feelings but it is so hard sometimes.

I think my weight is a huge cause of this. If I wasn't overweight then all my problems would go away. But the thing is, I sabotage my own self. I have lost 40 since I started last year but I am stuck! I cannot go beyond that. I feel like there must be a deep rooted fear that's keeping me from going past that but I don't know what it is. I don't understand it. I want to lose the weight so badly but I end up doing something that keeps me from passing my current weight. Sometimes I eat a healthy meal and go to the gym (which is what I should be doing ALL the time), but other times I eat a healthy meal and DON'T go to the gym, or eat something not healthy (or more than i should have) and go to the gym (but that doesn't help because I am working off extra weight that I shouldn't even put back on), OR I eat a whole lot of unnecessary crap and don't go to the gym (which is the WORST thing that I can do!) I just don't know what to do.

I'm always fluctuating from hope and happiness to sadness and despair sometimes continuously throughout the day. I feel crazy. I am going to my counselor tomorrow so maybe she might be able to help me with this. I think I just cannot accept the fact that bad things are going to happen to you in life or things that won't go your way and that's just the way it is. I emotionally shut down and freeze up when these things happen and sink back down into my hole. Ugh.

(thanks for reading )
LovelyAmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

That is associated with depression and bipolar disorder.

I don't get what's so hard about losing weight but that's just me.
bluedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedragon View Post
I don't get what's so hard about losing weight but that's just me.
The point is, that I have already lost some. So that means that I am capable of course. I just don't understand what it holding me back. And have you ever been overweight? If not, then you would not understand.

But thanks for the advice? I guess.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

This questionnaire might be worth sharing with your counselor:
http://counsellingresource.com/quizz...lar/index.html

Your symptoms could possibly point to a mood disorder, although that would be better discussed with your psychiatrist. I am not sure how your moods relate to your eating, I guess maybe I am just not understanding. Are your mood swings directly related to your food and weight issues? Like maybe when you eat a certain thing or go/don't go to the gym it causes your mood fluctuations?

You might try what I do. I make a weekly meal plan that I try to follow closely, so all my meals are already predetermined. If dinner time rolls around and you ask yourself what you want, it is more likely to be an unhealthy choice. But if you go to the plan on the refrigerator and it says what you will be making, you can just follow it and not give yourself the choice (easier said then done I am sure). Same with exercise. When I say I will go walking "when I have time", there is always an excuse. But if I say I'll go Wednesday at 6:00 for fifteen minutes, I find it easier to drop what I'm doing and head out the door no matter what.
Slumberless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

I havent been overweight, I just dont get how it's hard to not be overweight. Like I just wonder why. Do they have to eat those (Insert fatty junk food)? Or all that fried chicken? Is it that important to them?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I havent been overweight, I just dont get how it's hard to not be overweight. Like I just wonder why. Do they have to eat those (Insert fatty junk food)? Or all that fried chicken? Is it that important to them?

I don't HAVE to eat any of that stuff. Some people feel like food is their only friend and it eases emotional pain. I stopped eating fried chicken a long time ago. It is not important to me at all. Sometimes I just overeat.

Also I really don't appreciate your sarcasm and I find your responses to be unhelpful. I have seen some of your responses to other people's threads and they don't seem helpful either.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

I know exactly how you feel. It is very frustrating! I have lost about 40lbs and I'm obsessing over my weight so bad. Some people just gain weight so easily! Oh and as far as fluctuating moods I have the exact same problem. I wish I could help but I have no idea what this is! Anyway, you're definitely not alone. Best of luck to you
sapphire21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
There's probably lots of things you don't get. Manners, for one.
Who's "they"? You're responding to a real person!
Ramondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyAmor View Post
I don't HAVE to eat any of that stuff. Some people feel like food is their only friend and it eases emotional pain. I stopped eating fried chicken a long time ago. It is not important to me at all. Sometimes I just overeat.

Also I really don't appreciate your sarcasm and I find your responses to be unhelpful. I have seen some of your responses to other people's threads and they don't seem helpful either.
I don't think I was being sarcastic. If they resort to food to fulfill emotional needs, it appears s they must not care that much about being fat. That person must have a serious lack of self-control to have to eat fattening foods to make themselves feel better momentarily, only to later realize they look more and more repulsive.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

you need to get to know your body and what it can handle, and also how the body works when it drops weight like that...you normaly lose the most in the first few weeks or first month (depending on how much you work) and then its a struggle. that could explain you hitting the wall like that. after the first big chunk of weight you lose is the time you need to work the hardest

as for the mood stuff i dunno, sorry i can't help you there
DreadHeadPhenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't think I was being sarcastic. If they resort to food to fulfill emotional needs, it appears s they must not care that much about being fat. That person must have a serious lack of self-control to have to eat fattening foods to make themselves feel better momentarily, only to later realize they look more and more repulsive.
I am looking for advice. I need help. If you don't understand what I am going through and can't give any constructive advice, then why did you post? Why are you even here? I have seen some of your other posts and they just seem plain rude, not giving out any advice. Your two posts have been useless to me. Please stay out of my thread.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramondo View Post
There's probably lots of things you don't get. Manners, for one.
Who's "they"? You're responding to a real person!
I think he just goes through other's thread saying useless stuff like that. A lot of people are like that on here. And no he does not have any manners, also being rude and sarcastic. He has no respect for others. Sometimes I feel like I should not come on this forum anymore and just work out my problems on my own, but I come when I have setbacks and to relate to other people who are going through the same things.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I havent been overweight
Then you should probably consider that you're not an authority on the matter and stop while you're ahead.

There are many medical reasons why a person can be overweight, not just because of overeating or because they "lack self-control" as you so eloquently put it. Thyroid issues, for one. Other factors include emotional eating, using food as a coping mechanism, certain types of medications, genetics, etc.

Everyone is different, and losing weight is not easy for every person.

LovelyAmor, it's great that you've already lost 40lbs. Sounds like maybe you just hit a plateau with the weight loss. This tends to happen after a prolonged period of dieting. There are ways to get past it, usually it involves switching up your eating habits. Definitely talk to your counselor about your mood swings, I'm sure s/he can help.

Good luck!

au Lait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Bluedragon, is there anything you are addicted to?

Anyway fluctuating moods are associated with bipolar disorder. It is also possible that, if you are experiencing depression or even "coming out" of depression changing moods are common. Social isolation is very difficult to live with even when a person is functional in other areas of life.
Mae West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

I don't think addicted is the right word. Nicotine is addictive. Some people who aren't addicted to it just smoke because they don't care much about the health effects. So I don't get it. All you have to do is keep the donuts away from your mouth. Or at least exercise it off. You can't undo it when you've smoked, but you can exercise to burn the calories. At least take a walk. How many people actually have thyroid issues? 2% of the population?
Old 03-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thumbs down

Quote:
That is one of the worst comments I have ever read. Food biochemically changes your brain much in the same way that addictive drugs do. What you are saying is the equivalent to telling an alcoholic who drank again that they must really not want to quit, or a smoker who had a cigarette that they really don't want to quit, even though both may want it more than anything in the world. Hell, go a step above, there are people who are about to die from their addictions but are STILL unable to stop, surely they must not want to stop.

I don't like to directly attack comments, but this one really pushed one of my buttons.

Meds: Wellbutrin SR 2x 150mg/day, Klonopin 0.5mg 3x/day, Celexa 10mg PRN, Seroquel 50-100mg PRN

Failed Meds (so far...): Zoloft, Celexa (daily), Buspar

Stopped Meds: Atenolol 75mg/day, Ativan 0.5mg PRN
Unlimited00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't think addicted is the right word. Nicotine is addictive. Some people who aren't addicted to it just smoke because they don't care much about the health effects. So I don't get it. All you have to do is keep the donuts away from your mouth. Or at least exercise it off. You can't undo it when you've smoked, but you can exercise to burn the calories. At least take a walk. How many people actually have thyroid issues? 2% of the population?
Further there are studies showing that administration of opioid blocking drugs also drastically decrease consumption of high sugar foods.

Anorectics work on the brain's pleasure center to drastically reduce appetite. So do addictive drugs. So does food. If there is a pattern of chronic over-eating, the brain adapts and begins to require that type of eating in order to experience a "normal" sense of pleasure (hint - tolerance and addiction also work in this manner).

What you are saying is no different than telling a smoker that all you have to do is keep the cigarette away from your mouth. No ****. If it were that easy I'm sure addiction rates would still be at the level they are now...

And you are right, hypothyroidism, chronic administration of corticosteroids to modulate the immune system, and other homeostatic disorders (leptin and ghrelin, Cushing's, etc) that cause obesity are the exception, not the rule. What is incorrect is labeling any overweight person as "weak" simply because they can't stop eating the way they. That just isn't true.

One of the best ways I've heard it phrased is - Sure it is hard to never touch heroin again if you are addicted to it. But what if you are addicted to it but are required to use it multiple times per day just to survive (since you must eat to live) after having been addicted to it. That level of addiction control is much, much harder if not near impossible.

Meds: Wellbutrin SR 2x 150mg/day, Klonopin 0.5mg 3x/day, Celexa 10mg PRN, Seroquel 50-100mg PRN

Old 03-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

My mood changes on a whim sometimes and it's really strange...One second I'm confident and optimistic, the next I feel like dying...I have no weight issues though and I'm really thin..If anything I'd like to gain some weight...I think something else may be causing this...Not really sure.
Freiheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyAmor View Post
I am looking for advice. I need help. If you don't understand what I am going through and can't give any constructive advice, then why did you post? Why are you even here? I have seen some of your other posts and they just seem plain rude, not giving out any advice. Your two posts have been useless to me. Please stay out of my thread.
Since you already seeing a counselor, I would let him know everything you told us. He is infinitely more qualified than most the people on this board to be able to help you get to the root of your issue and work on it.

As far as the slowing of weight loss, I would recommend getting a personal trainer and possibly a nutritionist. What this does is a) make sure you are doing what it takes to get to the next level of weight loss and b) adds a level of accountability and motivation to your weight loss, which you both clearly want and clearly work hard on

Old 03-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
So you're saying every overweight person is contsantly stuffing their mouths with junk food. Good luck with being brainwashed by the media and not being able to think for yourself.

I can't ****ing stand all these priviliged thin people who make claims like that. Just ****ing be glad you've never been overweight and haven't had to go through all the torture and discrimination and emotional stress. And stfu next time.
krista91 is offline   Reply With Quote