X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 11-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ever feel like people just don't want to be around you?

Even when you have relaxed a little and are less anxious whether it be through alchohol or whatever, its like my whole outlook on life, morals & values and humour are completely different from almost everyone else, so the best I can do is pretend to fit in with them while others seem to interact with each other with ease, like they are on the same level with each other without even saying anything, but with me people can see through it and they can tell I'm somehow different.
Josh90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

yeah, I feel totally the same, like I am from another place in time. I cant really connect, relate or feel like I fit in with other people my age, and they know it too. So I just know that they really dont wanna hang around me.
and wash the ruins of your life
VivaEmptinessRoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, me too we should just all buy an island and only SA people should be able to live there lol
honeybear1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

I always feel like people don't like it when I'm around and don't talk, just as much as they dislike it when I do talk. I don't blame them as I generally annoy myself when I find myself not talking/talking.
2shyforwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Today was awful. I don't know why i sort of get excited before a family shindig, but always feel like **** afterwards; drained. I'm thinking about distancing myself a bit, because my brother really gets me worked up. I stopped trying today; i mean, i like to make the effort to catch up because time flies in this life, but even people i haven't seen in a while act like i'm bothering them. okay, **** it. I heard the laughter about something, but when i walked in, it sort of broke up, and everyone scattered. I don't know what else to do. My immediate family is ok, but the kids and couples don't know what to do around me. Ahh, i don't know, it was just good to come home.
howard26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kon

I'm the opposite. People want to be around me as much as the next person, but I don't like being around people.
Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

I feel that way to, even after alchol. There have only been a few people that I've been able to connect with. I believe that with proper treatment of my SA, over time I will get better and be able to freely communicate with less anxiety.

I think that when you have had SA for so long and especially during your teenage years your morals/values and general view on life is influenced by SA. Like I think alot of people with SA have had negative social experiences and have led us to being being extrmley sensitive to perceived social failure. So a forum like this allows me to connect with people at a different level than your "average joe".

People without any kind of mental disorder/anxiety/confidence problems aren't going to always understand you. Since most people without mental illness have high self cinfidence /self esteem they generally have a more optimistic view and are socially advanced. I don't know that's just my opinion. Maybe I'm going to deep.
bvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm on this level too, I relate don't relate to most people even when I'm feeling a bit more relaxed, it sucks

My Music Links:
Twitter ~ Youtube ~ Facebook ~ SoundCloud
Canadian Brotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybear1990 View Post
Yeah, me too we should just all buy an island and only SA people should be able to live there lol
Good idea
Yeah it sucks, no matter how interested you are in the conversation or how friendly you appear, it does not seem to matter, people still think i am odd or nutty or whatever.
So either Its a case of being too interested in other people or too inward looking if you are not interested, you cant win

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
Arisa1536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, people don't seem to like me. It's not that people hate me (well, usually) but once I make a friend, it doesn't seem like they really want to continue hanging out with me. I don't really blame them. Aside from being really quiet, I think I'm just too serious and boring for people. I hardly laugh or find things amusing, and when I do express an opinion, it's usually negative. I can also relate to things being the same way even when you do relax. It's as if being in my most social state doesn't even get to the level extroverts are when least social. It's like I put in a lot of effort only to have it brushed off as being nothing.
DoveAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

I know how you feel doveagain
Also i find extroverted people are actually very unfriendly they are loud mouthed idiots and chat away in front of you but never to you directly

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
Arisa1536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

I understand you.
With me I feel almost on another planet half the time, even with my friends.
Well they want to go out, drink, party, things that make them feel connected and whole just make me feel more disconnected. Part of the issue is being introverted. Well they say what they think without much thought, and accept things for what they are, I see the same things and concentrate on another level. Over-thinking even, and searching for meaning. (The what-ifs, where? why?) Which makes it harder to stay in their fast paced way of interacting.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall" <3
MelysCariad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

im usually normal with some beers but sometimes i feel unnatural just knowing everyone os drinking to have fun when im over drinking to escape SA
Jrock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelysCariad View Post
I understand you.
With me I feel almost on another planet half the time, even with my friends.
Well they want to go out, drink, party, things that make them feel connected and whole just make me feel more disconnected. Part of the issue is being introverted. Well they say what they think without much thought, and accept things for what they are, I see the same things and concentrate on another level. Over-thinking even, and searching for meaning. (The what-ifs, where? why?) Which makes it harder to stay in their fast paced way of interacting.
i like how you describe it in actual words. i've never been able to do so.
Tessabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:27 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessabelle View Post
i like how you describe it in actual words. i've never been able to do so.
Yeah, it's tough to put down... :/
Glad it made sense though.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall" <3
MelysCariad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:29 AM   #16 (permalink)

Yep.

The thing is that the people who still want to be around you are the ones worth having as friends! The rest can just do whatever.
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:58 AM   #17 (permalink)

I too feel as if I am on a totally different level to others. I do so much thinking (even my mother said that when i was a baby she could tell that I was always thinking about things and not saying much) I do feel quite clever about most things, I always look deeper into everything than other people. So when i have something to say which I find interesting, others find it boring. I feel compelled to try and join in with the inane babble the loud people at work sometimes spout, just so I can fit in, however I am totally against the principal of being a sheep and would rather just be myself, being weird and working away in a quiet corner than be a photocopy of someone who I find a bore!
Catpeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Cool Why does alone have to feel better?

I try to start out the night being friendly and doing what my friends are doing or have done (dressing up more or less, buying a round of drinks - whatever). I then end up trying too hard to be friendly to the people I am just getting to know, but I end up trying so hard to do the right things I end up making them think I am an ***. Then within a short time it always seems like my friends are laughing and giggling and I am left standing there totally out of the loop.... I get paranoid and think they are laughing at me too and in my shell I go. I'll go to the bathroom and pretend I couldn't find them when I got back and just kind of sit or stand by myself. I always watch to see if any of them seems to even notice I haven't come back, sometimes yes, sometimes no. But it always ends the same - I am then totally alienated and can't wait to leave. I have tried to tell them I want to be more included to feel more comfortable, but it never changes no matter where I am and who I am with. It is as if I am watching a play and just in the way on the stage. I then spend at least the next day (or more), apologizing to someone and when they tell me oh - I didn't even notice, I then start agonizing over the next social gathering coming - alot of which I pretend to forget about - getting older does have some benefits I guess I just don't know how to make friends.
1mamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #19 (permalink)

Yes! When I'm relaxed and good and feel like being friendly - THEN its like no one wants to be around me.

Every other time I don't want to be around them though because I feel tense and I dont want to be judged or look like I'm just a b*tch
softshock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

Yeah, I feel like people don't want to be around me, that maybe I'm some huge, untalkative, aggrivating bore. A snoozefest. I totally relate to all the people on here. I constantly want to be a part of the fun with my friends, but they are laughing and having a good time with each other and it always seems that no one even freaking needs me around.

I hate the feeling that if i disappeared, most people wouldn't even notice- only my family. Makes me feel like the most pathetic person ever.

Wow, I am so glad I can turn to a sort of family on this forum, that i never have in the outside world. Even if we all have our problems, at least we have one outlet here. It's a start. I just wish I didn't feel so alone all the time. =[ UGGGGGGH frustration central
Jennifer Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote