Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Easily offended?

1K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  metallica2147 
#1 ·
zzzzzzz

#2 ·
Yexi, you are sensitive. I'm the same way, you have to learn to take critisism. I'm not saying it's easy but it can be done.

Youre emotions are being manipulated by other people, you have to mold a image of yourself as what YOU believe yourself to be. Do not take anything what anybody says to heart, you just have to learn to love yourself and accept certain things but don't take it personally.

#5 ·
I get very easily offened. I remember once in high school my english teacher told me I was being unsuccessful in her class. I felt so sad that after class I ran to the restroom and cried for the rest of the day. Whenever someone tells me something negative I take it personally and I start crying and beating myself up for it. Even if it's not my fault. I used to cut myself and then I started running away from home and lots of other things. I sometimes even wanna kill myself. :afr I know it's wrong but I just don't know what else to do. Sometimes I overdose on pills and sometimes I stop eating. It's stupid I know but I can't help it. I just feel like hurting myself when someone tells me negative things. I guess my question is, do any of you have that also? Like where someone tells you something negative and you completely get hurt to the point where you attempt to kill yourself?
If anyone says anything negative or even slightly critical to me, my heart immediately sinks and I feel sick. Sometimes it upsets me so much I cry. I'll dwell on it for the rest of the day, and find it impossible to reassure myself enough to get out of my negative cycle of thought. It doesn't make me feel suicidal, but it certainly makes me feel very depressed. My first thought when someone's hurt my feelings is usually 'what's the point in anything?' or 'I'm far too sensitive and fragile to deal with this and the world.'

So I can somewhat relate to your feelings. Are you taking any meds? Anti-depressants have helped me with this in that I'm not quite so sensitive to these things. They've given me a slightly thicker skin with regards to dealing with criticism, which has been really beneficial to me. Without meds, I'm painfully sensitive to any kind of negativity, rejection or criticism.

#7 ·
:squeeze You're super sensitive and thats rare. It's quite endearing. It means you feel things much deeper and thats cool. It can make you feel fragile though that even the little things make such an impression.

I used to cut myself but I'd try hard not to, when people shout at me I feel like I have to punish myself, partly it's because I feel there's no-one to back me up. The way people react to me has always affected how I think about myself and I think people who are sensitive can come across as difficult at times.

#9 ·
I get very easily offened. I remember once in high school my english teacher told me I was being unsuccessful in her class. I felt so sad that after class I ran to the restroom and cried for the rest of the day. Whenever someone tells me something negative I take it personally and I start crying and beating myself up for it. Even if it's not my fault. I used to cut myself and then I started running away from home and lots of other things. I sometimes even wanna kill myself. :afr I know it's wrong but I just don't know what else to do. Sometimes I overdose on pills and sometimes I stop eating. It's stupid I know but I can't help it. I just feel like hurting myself when someone tells me negative things. I guess my question is, do any of you have that also? Like where someone tells you something negative and you completely get hurt to the point where you attempt to kill yourself?
Yeah, I've been that way all my life even being called quiet girl or shy made me have an emotional breakdown. Gradually I got use to getting catty remarks about me because I actually had to listen what others call each other and they laugh at each other because it was funny. they didn't get sensitive and run away, they went with it.

One time I felt stupid at work because a co worker made a witty remark using me in it and everyone laughed and I didn't (because I didn't get it) but i played it off. When I took my co worker aside to ask what she meant. she explained it to me then apologise profusely like she offended me. She then unknowingly embarressed me when she said out loud "oh yeah i forgot, brina's sensitive be careful of what you say around her yall". She was serious and that hurt even more.

What you have to realize is that these so called negative remarks isn't worth giving your life away. If that was the case, I would've been dead before I reached high school because all the kids in grade school were bully's (imagine every single negative remark you can think of) especially a particular teacher in 6th grade. And I was suicidal since 12 years old.

DO NOT GIVE THESE PEOPLE THE SATISFACTION! THE WORLD IS BETTER WITH YOU IN IT!!!!

#10 ·
I feel like you took the words right out of my mouth.
anytime anyone says anything negative or criticizes me, i feel terrible.
i've always been that way. I'm very sensitive to other's feelings, which is a plus,
but sometimes being so sensitive can be a negative.
hang in there.
love you.

#11 ·
Ya I am sooo sensitive about being criticised, even if its constructive. Like I can hold in my emotions and then cry and moan about it when i go home and then im over it. But no one i know would know this cos i put on a front in public. I wish i wasnt so sensitive but oh well thats me.....

#12 ·
It wouldn't say I get offended so much as upset.
And it depends on the situation and what's being discussed. Criticism of my performance, whether at work, school, etc, makes me upset. More with myself, though.
Rude jokes, "harassment," which occurs quite a bit in the kitchen (of course, not serious harassment), etc. doesn't really offend me. Teasing only offends me if someone is poking fun at my integrity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.