X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 01-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dont like my facial expressions

I feel weird because I like how I look when Im 'neutral'. I feel more attractive in that pose. So I am always hesitant to smile/laugh/talk expressively because when Ive seen myself talking or laughing in a mirror reflection I am horrified by how much uglier it looks - not anything like how I feel I look when Im still. And it makes me terribly self conscious when interacting with people, Im always thinking, oh they probably thought I was pretty - now they see my ugly smile and the way my face looks weird when I make other expressions. This ends up making me look shy or unapproachable when really I just want to look as attractive as I can at all times.
radiancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

I feel the same. I hate opening my mouth. Mainly because I hate my teeth. People tell me they arent that bad but I refuse to believe them.
MissGemmaRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

I used to have thoughts like this all the time for a few years. Up until very recently, in fact.

But I can certainly relate to how it feels. I would always keep a "pissed off" expression in order to, I'm presuming, scare people away so I wouldn't have to interact with them. I thought I was hideous or looked like a retarded clown when I smiled, laughed, or even talked. So, I would rarely rarely speak.

I've come to realize I don't think I look that bad when I'm smiling or laughing anymore. It may have to do with exercise or my outlook on things changing, but I'm starting to let go of some of those nagging thoughts. I also had a couple of visible cavities and had those taken care of, so that definitely could've helped with the whole laughing and talking thing. But even before I had (visible) cavities, these types of thoughts were present.

Regardless, I found that the less I actually think about stuff like that, the less it worries me and the less I focus negatively on it. And the best way I can recommend "thinking about it less" is by occupying your thoughts with other things that interest you or make you happy, as cheesy as that sounds.

The thoughts are fleeting from me every day it seems, so surely there's hope for you.
Gigantopithecus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well... I don't like my face. So at least you have that. I like my smirk. Not my smile.
Toppington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sometimes I REALLY like my facial features, other times I absolutely HATE it. It depends if I tend to overeat and/or I am feeling very depressed. I am too shy to show my face even here.
MetalRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

i tend to smile when i don't want to smile, i makes me feel like i will make people uncomfortable from that.
quietmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietmusicman View Post
i tend to smile when i don't want to smile, i makes me feel like i will make people uncomfortable from that.
I can't control my smile, It twiches when I try too and I don't know how to go back to a normal face even when I do smile.

I think it comes from what you posted here - Smilling or laughing at something you don't find funny, yet you do it to be polite. Maybe I just get my twitchy smile becuase I overthink it when I do it, or Im so nervous or shy? This is my main concern of my SA.