X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 03-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Don't know what my interests are

Many many years I just do what is expected from me because I don't know what to do in my life, I have no interests in anything..
Because of SA and depression I still don't have a decent job our education. I like to make choices right now about what am I going to do in the future. Like what kind of job do I want?
What things do I like to do?
I still don't have answers to them. I can't wait any longer and just go on doing what rationally is best for me because I feel so empty. I want to feel fulfillment in my life..
I don't have endless energy to do things I don't like anymore.
How can I discover what I like to do in life and what kind of job I like??!
dutchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

You have to experiment with stuff to find out what interests you. Like go to fairs/expos or something and explore your options. There's tons of stuff you can do, and a bunch of stuff that would interest you. You just have to look for it.

Do you like any sports, animals, technology,......?
Did you ever see something on TV that interested you?
Were there any classes you took that you took somewhat interest in?
Did you want to be anything when you were little?
Tacoma Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you have no idea what your interests are because you have spent too much of your time dealing with SA and depression you can always find a role model. Find a celebrity or friend in real life who you admire and see what they are into. Check out their interests and make them your own.
Mae West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

There is more stuff to do in the world than you can possibly ever do or even imagine.

When you have been letting anxiety dictate your choices for a long time, it can be really difficult to discover what you really enjoy and who you really are. You just have to force yourself to look at what jobs are out there and look at different hobbies and interests, then ask yourself if you would like to do them. Take both the answers "Yes" and "I don't know" as indications that you should try those things out if and when you can.
confidencelost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae West View Post
If you have no idea what your interests are because you have spent too much of your time dealing with SA and depression you can always find a role model. Find a celebrity or friend in real life who you admire and see what they are into. Check out their interests and make them your own.

That means I have to become a celebrity?..
I'm so stressed because I have to fix this so quickly now, If I wait to long I loose another possible school year. I would like to finally know what to do in my life.
Nothing in life is really "fun"to me, I'm still depressed so I don't know how to fix this.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm interested in how you fill your days right now, dutchguy. What are the things that are expected of you?

Unless there are financial reasons for needing to move quickly on school, please don't put too much stress on yourself to go right into it. I would suggest giving yourself what you feel is enough time to make a sound decision. If this means dealing with your depression first, so be it.
gilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilt View Post
I'm interested in how you fill your days right now, dutchguy. What are the things that are expected of you?

Unless there are financial reasons for needing to move quickly on school, please don't put too much stress on yourself to go right into it. I would suggest giving yourself what you feel is enough time to make a sound decision. If this means dealing with your depression first, so be it.
I work beside that I do nothing, I sit behind the computer thats it..
Years ago I "quited"living to the point where I am at now. I don't know how to go back to start really living again
Old 03-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchguy View Post
That means I have to become a celebrity?..
I'm so stressed because I have to fix this so quickly now, If I wait to long I loose another possible school year. I would like to finally know what to do in my life.
Nothing in life is really "fun"to me, I'm still depressed so I don't know how to fix this.
Notice I mentioned the part "friend in real life." Maybe you need to work on the depression before thinking about your interests.
Mae West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae West View Post
Notice I mentioned the part "friend in real life." Maybe you need to work on the depression before thinking about your interests.
You are right, I don't know why I don't take action anymore. I feel stuck.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Dude you have got so much time are in a school and still so tensed while in school have some fun with the girls do some flirt in the park/mall. I do this too whenever I get free time. Enjoy your life why be sad when there are thousands of girls wanting you. you just have to go out and start talking , don't even need to try trust me!
ankoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Some people seem to just feel a calling and know what they want to do. I never did, had to experiment a lot, and settled for something I simply enjoyed and was good at. It doesn't have to be perfect. It doesn't say anything about you as a person. You just do things that seem interesting or fruitful and you do that as long as it remains so. I'm just going to die anyway, so having a life mission isn't going to protect me from anything. It's pleasant enough just doing something you enjoy.
antireconciler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

I would try volunteering somewhere while you're looking for a job...

It helps with:
-Exposure to people/social interactions
-Experience for your resume
-Help with an idea of what you want to do as a career
-Something to fill up the day, and hopefully feel like you're doing something productive for society
tuneindropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:31 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchguy View Post
Many many years I just do what is expected from me because I don't know what to do in my life, I have no interests in anything..
Because of SA and depression I still don't have a decent job our education. I like to make choices right now about what am I going to do in the future. Like what kind of job do I want?
What things do I like to do?
I still don't have answers to them. I can't wait any longer and just go on doing what rationally is best for me because I feel so empty. I want to feel fulfillment in my life..
I don't have endless energy to do things I don't like anymore.
How can I discover what I like to do in life and what kind of job I like??!
Sales can be a Great way to start a successful career.

I'd also advise you to pick up a Brian Tracy Tape about selling. "The Psychology of selling".

It will give you some structure and path to follow.

-Paul