X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 01-29-2008, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does Your Anxiety Affect The Way You Walk?

idk if this is for anyone else but my anxiety usually affects the way i walk even when im trying to walk normal i cant get my body to stand up straight.......and my face expressions thats a really hard thing for me to control because i cant see my face and sometimes people say i look sad when im really not i just cant control the way i look especially when im around other people and have nothing else to do

Does anyone else have this problem?
If so how do u usually deal with it?
feellikeafreakjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Does Your Anxiety Affect The Way You Walk?

I slouch while I walk, and I am unaware of it until I walk by any shiny objects that reflects my image back to myself. Then I would try to straighten out my posture but eventually forgot about trying and ended up slouching again. It shows people that I am just not confident... It sucks.

My only tip is to continue to practice your posture (but not too straight and ended up looking weird).
"Spend all your time waiting for that second chance; for a break that would make it OK. There's always some reason to feel not good enough, and it's hard at the end of the day. I need some distraction; Oh a beautiful release." Angel ~ Sarah McLachlan
AnotherReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, my legs tend to lock up and suddenly it feels like my legs muscles are supporting free weight and it becomes hard to move properly/coordinate stride.
MouseWithoutKeyboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

I remember it used to. In jr high I walked with my head down, always, and I walked very fast. It's interesting that two people accosted me while I was walking home this way. They must have felt the need to reach out to an obviously troubled person. One of those people became a very close friend. =)

The past few years, I've been forcing myself to do stuff normally. I forced myself to walk straight, and look straight ahead, and look at people, and to keep walking even if they're walking toward me. I also made myself keep eye contact while conversing. I try to make my default face pleasant with a small smile, but I worry that it looks fake. =/
Jenikyula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseWithoutKeyboard
Yes, my legs tend to lock up and suddenly it feels like my legs muscles are supporting free weight and it becomes hard to move properly/coordinate stride.
Same for me. I also feel like I can't walk straight.
holtby43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

YES! I used to have this happen to me a lot more than it does now. This is what I understand. When we are very anxious, our foundation gets weak. (our legs) What helps to keep you in check is doing some yoga. Or even just fast walking or whatever. Strengthening your lower body to balance yourself. Helps you hold yourself better and it gets a little easier to control it when something scary happens.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I remember it used to. In jr high I walked with my head down, always, and I walked very fast. It's interesting that two people accosted me while I was walking home this way. They must have felt the need to reach out to an obviously troubled person. One of those people became a very close friend. =)
I remember around age 7 or 8 this little boy came up to me and looks up at me and says "why do you always walk with your head down?" He looked so confused, I think that it was just concern too. I didn't realize I looked so depressed. I try to hold my head up a little so people don't worry now. haha.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h38srxvt6qE
embers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

I always did the super fast walking thing. Well I still do sometimes. I also did the walking with my head down thing for a long time.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutHolder
I always did the super fast walking thing. Well I still do sometimes. I also did the walking with my head down thing for a long time.
what do you do now, skip?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h38srxvt6qE
embers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

I skip and hop along. Singing "la de da da" along the way.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Multiple people, including my mother, described my walk as purposeful. That's a polite way of saying I walk fast.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

I've been working on my slouch for the past six months. Because of my age (I've slouched all of my life), it hurts my back and neck when I maintain a decent posture for a long period of time.

However, when I walk around with a good posture, I actually feel more confident. It's "fake" at first, but when you start feeling more confident, it fulfills itself in a way. However, this varies according to my mood and situation.
HumiliatedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Yessir, I walk with my head down and like I'm a paranoid robber scoping for the police. I'm constantly wondering if I'm walking funny or strange(other than the head down thing), and if people are looking at the way I walk. Like are my arms moving the right way? or are my legs moving the right way? just weird stuff like that.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

yes.
ANCIENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

I slouch when I walk too, and get really self-consious about it =P
And my facial expression is a big thing, I get teachers at school telling me to "smile" all the time. My facial expression seems to be alike wether I'm happy or sad.
Lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

In 7th or 8th grade i began walking with my arms to my side, they never swung because self-conciously it felt like it would attract additional attension. Now when im in public, they still dont swing, and my muscles are always tense. Some people mistake me for being strong but im actually weak, which is kind of a good thing. If i was at home, i couldnt lift nearly as much as i can when im anxious/tense. I also walk with my head down most of the time, mainly avoiding eye contact.
javasirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

My arms don't swing either, my brother and friends often ask me why I don't walk normal. Normal? Swinging arms isn't so normal either. Also, they walk too slow....I often have to stop and wait for them to catch up...even if I walked slow.
MouseWithoutKeyboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

I sometimes feel as if I walk like a marionette, all jerky.

"You see, no one would surrender to the Dread Pirate Wesley."
Toedoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

Yes, I feel like people are staring at me while I'm walking and it makes me very self-conscious. I also slouch and only straighten up when I become aware of what I'm doing. I think that we subconsciously believe if we slouch, we think that people won't look at us.
taxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

People would say I bounced when I walked. That would lead me to trying to walk straight and "normal" which didn't feel right.
Raplovehate is offline   Reply With Quote