does having social anxiety make you not hungry? - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Reply
Old 09-19-2008, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 158



Default does having social anxiety make you not hungry?

when i used to go to school and when im at work and stuff and people are around. when i go home and am by myself i am starving and eat anything i can find. then when i go to work im not hungry at all. i am afraid to eat infront of people so is this like my bodys way of coping with the anxiety? do other people get this when they are around other people besides family?
softconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
 
Noca's Avatar
 
Status: Spectacular Member
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ontario
Gender: Male
Age: 28
Posts: 18,849



Default Re: does having social anxiety make you not hungry?

ive had depression make me not hungry but i dont think anxiety does that. However anxiety does make me sick to my stomach sometimes.
__________________
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Note: majority of typos are from posting on my phone
Noca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
 
Shauna The Dead's Avatar
 
Status: Shauna The Dead
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kentucky, USA
Gender: Female
Age: 30
Posts: 6,389



Default Re: does having social anxiety make you not hungry?

I don't think I've ever been too afraid to eat in front of people, but school & work made me not have much of an appetite and when I did eat anything there, it just went straight through me anyway due to being too nervous. I was trying on some old clothes awhile back--clothes from when I used to work and some of them don't even fit me now(which right now my stomach is so big nothing fits--but alot of my clothes at least go over my butt--they just won't zip/button... but some of the clothes I had from work won't even go on at all...so that shows me that work made me alot skinnier because of how sick I always stayed.
Shauna The Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
 
shyvr6's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2008
Gender: Male
Age: 36
Posts: 26,199



Default Re: does having social anxiety make you not hungry?

I'm always ready to eat.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Status: Permanently Band
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New England (US)
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 4,789



Default Re: does having social anxiety make you not hungry?

Days when i have panic attacks or really severe anxiety i eat liitle because of anxiety. Same thing for days when im really depressed. I just dont have an appetite.
__________________
"Faith means not wanting to know what is true"-Nietzsche

"The greatest misery in adverse fortune is once to have been happy" -Boethius

"The only thing that i know is that I know nothing"- Socrates
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
 
roswell's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: CA
Gender: Male
Age: 25
Posts: 1,634



Default Re: does having social anxiety make you not hungry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Days when i have panic attacks or really severe anxiety i eat liitle because of anxiety.
__________________
I'm not very good at this whole "socializing" fad.
roswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
 
CandySays's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Apr 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 514



Default Re: does having social anxiety make you not hungry?

I can pretty much count on being hungry every few hours under any condition.
CandySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 658



Default Re: does having social anxiety make you not hungry?

I think depression makes you lose your appetite. Or medication.
Peace99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Age: 28
Posts: 7



Default Re: does having social anxiety make you not hungry?

I never feel hungry when I'm around people other than my family, regardless of how long it's been since I last ate (I even once had someone accuse me of being anorexic because they never saw me eat). As you say, I'd guess it's a kind of coping mechanism whereby your brain just ignores the fact that you're hungry so you don't have to put yourself in an anxiety-inducing situation.
Solus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
 
Perfectionist's Avatar
 
Status: Too Cool for School
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: At the Lonely End of the Rink
Gender: Female
Age: 26
Posts: 6,853



Default Re: does having social anxiety make you not hungry?

When I worked I found it really stressful, and completely lost my appetite. I lost a crazy amount of weight in about 4 months, and gained it all back when I stopped working.

Generally, I find when I'm stressed or nervous, eating takes my mind off it.
__________________
- I'mma be the syrup she can be my waffle.
Perfectionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13,206



Default Re: does having social anxiety make you not hungry?

Nope, has never really affected my appetite.
WineKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
 
Aron James's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 339



Default Re: does having social anxiety make you not hungry?

SA affects people differently in a multitude of ways. Some people compensate by 'trying to hard', others have other things that link in with SA.

A friend i work with has SA, she's highly sociable and is very chatty.My friend also didn't like eating around others and so developed an eating disorder.

Another friend of mine who has SA, he has 'performance anxiety' associated with his SA and so avoids women completely and does not feel attracted to them because of it.

It can affect our physiology, so our body will 'not let us' do something. It's our body's way of saying "hey, im anxious" so we are tense, muscles tighten and restrict, certain chemicals aren't released etc.

When you learn to lessen that anxiety, your appetite will come back, as your body will not be on 'red alert'.

Aron
__________________
1. Anxiety is an ALARM SYSTEM that believes a threat is imminent.
2. Our body & mind freak out, a strong sense of self needs protection.
3. 'What others think' - is a key concept in our mind which can be deconstructed so that it doesn't seem so threatening to our self, hence we need less protection, hence less anxiety alarm.
Aron James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
 
Status: Permanently Banned
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Florida
Gender: Male
Age: 33
Posts: 577



Default Re: does having social anxiety make you not hungry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roswell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Days when i have panic attacks or really severe anxiety i eat liitle because of anxiety.
I second that ditto. But for some reason depression always made me wanna eat more.
Conquistador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula Michigan
Age: 44
Posts: 9,382



Default Re: does having social anxiety make you not hungry?

I wish my SA would make me lose my appetite. Maybe I would be able to lose some weight I put on over the years.
__________________
troll: man, we got a lot of snow
yooper: eh?
troll: three feet, man!
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 772



Default Re: does having social anxiety make you not hungry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper
I wish my SA would make me lose my appetite. Maybe I would be able to lose some weight I put on over the years.

I'm an eater, especially if I'm bored stuck at home. I feel pressure to eat around people e.g. if they offer me food at their house I find it hard to say no.
shy_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 158



Default Re: does having social anxiety make you not hungry?

thats exactly how i feel solus. i could go on forever if im around people. i dont even feel hungry. like thinking about food makes me feel sick
softconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
 
Status: Inactive - User Requested
Join Date: May 2008
Gender: Female
Age: 28
Posts: 1,521



Default Re: does having social anxiety make you not hungry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Days when i have panic attacks or really severe anxiety i eat liitle because of anxiety. Same thing for days when im really depressed. I just dont have an appetite.
SadRosesAreBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
 
Delicate's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: May 2008
Location: England
Gender: Female
Age: 26
Posts: 2,725



Default Re: does having social anxiety make you not hungry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by softconcrete
thats exactly how i feel solus. i could go on forever if im around people. i dont even feel hungry. like thinking about food makes me feel sick
Same here and then the longer you don't eat hunger turns to feeling sick aswell. It irritates me when people talk about food and how they love eating like it proves something, like it's a normal thing to do because it's not normal for me it's hard. And it irritates me when people tell me I have to eat or I'll feel better if I eat... I won't feel better it makes me sick. I'm trying to train myself, force myself to eat a little bit just to keep me going. I know what you mean when you say you get hungry when you get home, I do too but I think it's like I've been hungry the whole time but too stressed to feel it.
__________________
down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean
Delicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 772



Default Re: does having social anxiety make you not hungry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicate
It irritates me when people talk about food and how they love eating like it proves something, like it's a normal thing to do
I'm sorry I joked but I only meant to say I comfort eat because of anxiety/depression and I'm trying really hard to be healthy and eat less.
shy_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
 
Delicate's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: May 2008
Location: England
Gender: Female
Age: 26
Posts: 2,725



Default Re: does having social anxiety make you not hungry?

omg I didn't mean you!
I'm so sorry, that sounded really rude I didn't mean it to.
I meant some people I know would say it to make a point I didn't mean you were trying to prove something, not what you said.

This guy I was talking to the other day was going on about food and I was like... you're making me feel sick.
Anyway it IS a normal thing to eat lol.
Everyone has their own little issues, I know that.

(sorry if I offended you)
__________________
down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean
Delicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm hungry Rufus General Discussion 29 03-13-2013 04:36 AM
Does knowing you have social anxiety actually affect your social anxiety? JayJay Coping With Social Anxiety 43 07-12-2012 02:56 PM
I'm hungry Hypnotoad Frustration 13 06-15-2009 09:04 PM
I'm hungry ImAboutToEXPLODE The Arts 0 11-20-2007 11:17 PM
Make me hungry Qolselanu Nutrition, Supplements and Exercise 5 04-16-2007 08:49 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:36 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® ©2000-2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc. User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.