Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Does food affect your mood and energy?

1K views 20 replies 21 participants last post by  twitchy666 
#1 ·
Just curious to know if anyone has experienced low mood or energy due to food? I've been doing some research into this and they say having food allergies can alter your mind (brain fog, mood changes, depression) and make you feel extremely fatigued. So not just causing digestion problems which I assume most people would think about when talking about food allergies.
I've gone vegan this year, as well as cutting down on gluten, and feel as though my mental and physical state has really improved. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

#3 ·
Absolutely. Food today is full of poisons. Add to that the effect of most addictive foods such as sugar, salt and of course simple carbs have on our bodies alone. People comfort themselves with such foods like an smoker smokes to keep calm. LOL because the very thing people claims to bring them comfort is actually slowly killing them as well as adding to their anxiety. Coffee blocks chemicals that makes us tired, thus giving a false sense of stimulation but when the effects where off its not uncommon to crash like an insulin spike resultant from overloading on sugar and carbs. Lack of routine and consolidated sleep also adds to the mix as people who are not well rested tend to binge on junk and addictive foods.

It's all related- FOOD today is not ever food. Best thing I ever did was give up all forms of junk and processed foods. Eliminating most of the poison takes a LOT of dedication and can only be done if you make it a lifestyle. Diets will not work. The longer you have been eating junk, the longer it takes to clean out the closest.

When you eat - how you eat - how much you eat - what you eat - your activity level - and so on are just a few factors of a great deal more ... when it comes to how food affects your mood.

ultimately - it's still your choice as to what you and and what you do. Don't eat **** food and keep moving and you'll soon improve!!!

#5 ·
Honestly as long as I eat enough calories no matter what it is I'm good.

#6 ·
Hmm maybe? I notice when i eat carbs in the morning i am way more tired than if i don't eat carbs. And i suppose when eating something healthy it makes me feel better only because i know i made a good choice, and then there's the opposite when i eat something bad and get mad at myself afterwards for eating it because i know it's not helping me lose weight.

#9 ·
I can't say anything about a vegan diet, but I don't think anyone is indifferent to food while eating it or doesn't feel their mood improve from a good meal, or become sour from overeating or an imbalanced diet, or drained from not eating enough.

#11 ·
I think this is true. I had a co worker who used to tell me his research between anxiety and food. He told me whenever he eats healthier his anxiety tends to calm down and he has better control of it too. I live on energy drinks and bad food - my brain always feels foggy but I dont have the willpower to eat better :/

I did try to drink more water a few months back but everytime I did, I end up with terrible headaches and feeling sick.
Posted via Mobile Device

#14 ·
I don't know about allergies, but the way I feel after eating good food vs junk has greatly affected my diet now. I know I'll feel horrible if I have nothing but pizza and soda so I try to have mostly water, fresh meat, veggies, fruits, etc, with some junk food as padding. I'm happier to be around people when I'm not crashing after a big meal of junky chinese food.

#16 ·
I don't eat dairy or white bread/rice, fried food and the sorts. I'm lactose intolerant and greasy food makes me break out (I have PCOS so I have to watch what I eat).
Ever since I switched to a healthier diet (vitamin and mineral supplements, vegetables, lots of fruit and protein, mainly from poultry) I've been feeling so much better. I used to eat chocolate and sweets almost every day, but now I don't need to since my body doesn't crave it anymore. Good for my waist, good for my brain :)
Oh, and I'm not tired all the time and I don't get brain fog anymore.

#21 ·
living alone is worst, eating same, all life, eating more than can afford, possibly

:serious:

I adjusted my eating a lot. Leading a dismal path, PPI, losing mortgage insurance support, and before that, I aimed for a lowest cost diet. Good to focus on that primary goal. I followed some advice handed by GP, embarrassed if I was viewed as unhealthy... yeah, pleased with wholewheat bread and rice, only three eggs per week, etc. My fury always led me for years before this advice, using all my energy in exercise, feeling good. Told by friend: no bread or milk. I did quit bread for years. I gave up on my usual bacon sandwich with fried egg with cheese slice for all good employed mornings.

Then just µwaved bacon and µwaved scrambled eggs for the last 3 years. Still addicted to muesli eternally. Recent disturbance of a new goal of paying all heavy bills, with no budget for food at all. Rough! Every month goes by arrears of sorts. I have to stop eating. I just took on a very new lifestyle back on toast with marmite only. This first came up up during a four-month hospital inpatient session which has repeated. Offered plain cereal, porridge, coffee & toast... I took over the kitchen with strictly staff-only doors but made all the stuff myself. Running the ward. Taking any uneaten food from trays on racks of big heavy wheeled machines... mostly curry was on my menu.

I like food-making as an important task of interest when I have no job. Unsure how to balance my diet to leave enough to pay bills. Never thought I bought any luxurious home with high expenses. Girl left instantly for its size too small for her. High rent in spacious houses shared with her friends before.

Loneliness got me by the throat (theoretically) in a spirital mood of hitting the bed to relax with closed eyes in daytime. That's my brain fog

Now a life unable to feed myself overcoming me. I bet this happens to a lot of people? On verge of homelessness?

Habits lead me to consume any leftovers, and for years I would arrive home with a batch of groceries, starting with my treats, being whatever random stuff I pick because I haven't had for a long time, or never before. Sometimes snacks first. When mains are finished, I get back to snacks.

#17 ·
Does milk make anyone else break out in acne?

I love pasta and other white-carby stuff but I become EXHAUSTED and need to lie down after eating it.

Coffee either 1) makes me super happy and enthusiastic about my life, or 2) makes my stomach and head hurt really bad for hours. Oh, or 3) makes me paranoid about everything. It tastes so good though!

This topic is really interesting, it makes me want to keep like a diary of my foods and moods.

#18 ·
Ever just eat an apple or a banana, and NOTHING else? It makes you feel pretty good. I don't think we as a whole are eating enough fruit and vegetables as we need. Look Japan, which has the greatest life expectancy of any country. Their meat-to-vegetable ratio is significantly smaller than anywhere else. Most other places, the meat makes up the "meat" of the whole dish.

One thing I've been cutting down on is bread, especially pasta. That stuff makes me super lethargic.

#19 ·
Yes it's very true!

If you tax your digestive system with high fat foods and junk food, then you are going to feel very lethargic for the rest of the day, and your body won't be getting any nutrients and proteins for it to be healthy and work efficiently. You'll end up depressed and low.

Eat fruits, drink plenty of water, and eat healthy foods like a whole wheat sandwhich.

#20 ·
I feel better when I eat vegetables. I usually prefer them boiled with slight olive oil.
My stomach started to get more sensitive especially since high school due to increasing anxiety so I prefer light dishes since then. I hated celery before but now, I like it when it's done right.
In where I live, most popular desserts are the ones which have a lot of sugar. It is too much for me. I prefer unbaked fruity/milky desserts with less sugar if I feel like eating one. I feel better that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.