Does anyone else have the problem with their mind always blank? - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 05-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does anyone else have the problem with their mind always blank?

I get called on at meetings at work to put in my opinion and I never have nothing to say. I just say some really simple obvious thing with no effort or just agree so they move on to the next person. I cant even think straight while talking and my mind goes blank and I forget what im saying. Or sometimes i'll say something and not even make sense because I take my focus off talking and its like the focus is just blank!

Alot of times I just feel blank. I cant even think straight... especially when I am forced or pressured to talk and input my thoughts about things. My mind just goes blank. Its like im paralyzed! My whole personality is easy going and like "thats life". I dont really believe in rules... I believe that everyone is a person and should all treat each other equally. Instead of arrogant bosses being douches and I hate those co workers that constantly complain and cause drama over everything. Everyone I work with is like that. Im just like "whatever". People just cant be that way or what? I hate the social world!

When I am around certain people that I know that wont judge me, I am perfectly fine and I can express myself good. I can be outgoing with a few people that I am close to in this life and be a normal acting socialable person.
tom5170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Like tomorrow I have meeting with my boss and other co workers to discuss our future goals and what we expect. Hes probably going to go around individually and ask us. I have brainstormed ideas, BUT when I go to write them down, I cant think of them and cant remember!

Its like even when im forced to write something, my mind is just blank. My thoughts just dont pop out!
Old 05-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

i have the same problem my mind always goes blank or i can never remember things i dont know if its the drugs or what
4realguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

You wont believe how many people have come up to me that I work with and say "you look like you used to smoke weed". Im like "Why is that?" and theyre like, "cuz you always look like you just forget everything like you dont know whats going on". I even had a co worker make a remark to me once saying "Tom do you even know whats going on right now? do you even know where you're at". I never smoked weed in my life. I always look blank and emotionless too.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

I do a lot of reading on this forum, but not much posting.

I'd just like to say that I suffer the exact same thing Tom, I couldn't have described it better myself... it's one of the most disabling aspects of my SA. I can't even think or remain coherent under pressure, this "pressure" is caused by being around people and especially in group situations.
disarmonia mundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mine is caused by being around peple in group situations. If I am one on one with a person, I can kinda get my point across and think straight a little better. But in group situations where I am forced to talk, I just cannot do it! Even when its not a trick question and it requires thinking, my mind cannot grasp it!

I just cant stop this feeling of blankness. My emotions are so numb and I see life as being who you are. I just cant see how some people can be so extroverted. I dont really understand the point of talking to everybody. I can see talking as being nice and friendly to people... but I hate socialable loud annoying people. People ALWAYS ask me why im so quiet. I've heard every single remark in the english language about my quietness. I always reply with "i've always been a quiet person". I just wish I could say, ''I have aways been a quiet person. Its not me, its not in my personality to be loud and always talking".
Old 05-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom5170 View Post
I just cant stop this feeling of blankness. My emotions are so numb and I see life as being who you are. I just cant see how some people can be so extroverted. I dont really understand the point of talking to everybody. I can see talking as being nice and friendly to people... but I hate socialable loud annoying people. People ALWAYS ask me why im so quiet. I've heard every single remark in the english language about my quietness. I always reply with "i've always been a quiet person". I just wish I could say, ''I have aways been a quiet person. Its not me, its not in my personality to be loud and always talking".
Story of my life right there...again.... nice to know that there are others out there like us.
disarmonia mundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom5170 View Post

Alot of times I just feel blank. I cant even think straight... especially when I am forced or pressured to talk and input my thoughts about things. My mind just goes blank. Its like im paralyzed! My whole personality is easy going and like "thats life".
Same thing here. I had this psych professor once who liked to discuss things in detail and would randomly call on students to give their opinion. God, I have never been so anxious for a class to end. Those 3 hours felt like an eternity. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, worrying that she would call on me to give my opinion on something and I wouldn't know what to say as my mind is one big stinkin' blank in situations like that. Seems like every other student in that class had so much to say except for me. Sure enough, she did call on me, and sure enough, I gave a lame one-word answer. I couldn't think of anything else to say. As my face went red, another girl saved my butt and gave a more detailed answer, thank goodness. I remember going home that night and crying my eyes out. I'm not stupid, I'm actually a really good student, but situations like that really get me down. You're not alone.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default fear of criticism

Its weird..i get that when I have to speak (or write!) in front of people...extreme fear makes the mind stop working...its the fear that is stupid though...what are we so afraid of? what is the worst that could happen...i have always tried to reason with my fears but it aint easy! i think negative criticism in previous instances by parents/friends is at fault...you start believing that everyone is critical and judgemental...
one question do you guys feel that you are judgmental of people?
Choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

whenever i get asked a question and im nervous it happens
Falcons84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

My mind usually just races, it's like I have too much to say that I can't get out.
--Mr. SandMan--
Mr. SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

if I am talking to someone about sensible serious stuff sometimes my mind goes blank and I don't know what to say or I don't want to talk about it for too long.
I prefer to be silly than serious heehee I can be very quirky and random, I have so much I want to come out with.
Georgina 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

Yes I get this too! If someone asks a question suddenly enough I can pretty much forget my own name!
Old 05-11-2010, 05:29 AM   #14 (permalink)

Yeap, this "mind blank" pretty much ruined all of my attempts at studying...this really is a life destroying illness. I think my only hope is some sort of correspondence course I can do by myself.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yep, happens to me, usually when I'm nervous, which happens when I'm talking to someone new or someone I don't know very well. I just freeze up or say something that makes no sense and...make myself look real dumb.
Freiheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

It's like I have so much to say but can't get it out because I am afraid that they will think it's dumb or doesn't make sense. Usually it does not because I stutter when I say it. I'll play things out in my head before I say them and that just seems to make it worse. Now there are a few people, close friends usually, that do not have that effect on me I can think freely, speak my mind, and just talk my head off. Then again there are days that I can't talk to anyone.
Ryan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

I have the exact same thing. It happens more so in informal settings for me, like if I have just met someone, I can never think of what to say. Im getting better at job interviews, but find it hard to converse with customers. The result is people thinking Im rude and uninterested.

I have also had every comment about being quiet, I even had teachers try and put me in remedial classes because Im quiet and they therefore assume Im dumb.
hayhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:09 AM   #18 (permalink)

I get this quite alot. I have a habit of talking to fast. I think for me its linked to people not understanding me. Like I have so much to say and not enough time to say it. So I have to learn to slow down. But when I do that I cant articulate the point as I want too.

The only time I seem to be able to think or speak articulately, is when im pissed off and literally dont give a fck what people think.

I wish I could be like that all the time.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:52 AM   #19 (permalink)

I'm usually just pissed off, which means I have a lot on my mind.

Telling it to others in person is just horrible, words can't really express enough what goes on in the mind.
jlotz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:27 AM   #20 (permalink)

I do this alot in interviews - going blank and forgetting what the company does will not secure me a job. I did this a while back and one of the interviewers had to tell me what their company was about. So mortifying and then gotta whole pile of questions about what i did last year on work experience. I couldn't articulate nor remember, and so i struggled through the interview.
Hello22 is offline   Reply With Quote