Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Do you think people know you have social anxiety?

4K views 63 replies 54 participants last post by  relm1 
#1 ·
When interacting with people, do you think they know you have social anxiety?

#2 ·
There's no way they can't tell. Granted most people don't know what social anxiety is so they just think I'm a pathetic loser with no personality.

#4 ·
Nah they think I'm shy/quiet or a *****.

#5 ·
They don't tend to assume I'm anxious. They think I'm either slow or a snob.

The few who do realize it's anxiety (or else I tell them it is), assume it's merely the same thing as shyness. They don't understand social anxiety. I don't bother correcting them; being seen as shy is better than being seen as stuck up.

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
Obviously I can't know for sure, but I doubt it.

At this point they probably wouldn't even think I was shy (unless I'm in the middle of a depressive episode, then you can definitely tell :D).

#11 ·
Most people don't know what it is lol. But most people think I'm super quiet and awkward.

#14 ·
They don't know until I tell them. Seriously, almost all people will assume your socially anxious behavior as anything else unless they deal with SA themselves or if you have some panic attack in public.

#15 · (Edited)
I wouldn't know. If they weren't aware of what social anxiety was, they would still perceive something as being off. And by "they," i mean people who have known me over an extended period of time, but aren't very close. I don't think the quick brushes in the grocery store would know.

I'm fairly sure the people at school thought i was a loner, maybe a bit weird or strange. I told my neighbor that i had SA and i don't think she believes it, she's only seen me in triggerless situations.

But people have a way of surprising me with their perceptions. Who knows what they really think.

#53 ·
I don't know lol, I kind of like it when I get treated like this. It's like part of my personality, and I'm so used to people being that way, it's second nature. It's like those people actually understand me a bit. It's the ones who don't understand that are the most "dangerous". Yet, even that word is a bit harsh. What are we afraid of lol!?

#20 ·
One of my biggest worries is that my anxiety is obvious. I feel like I come off as very weird or awkward, but that might be in my head. Other people probably just assume I'm a little shy, but I think people who have known me for a while wouldn't be shocked if I told them I have social anxiety.

#22 ·
Most people can tell right away that there's something 'off' about me. That's why I got bullied in school (though I'm a lot better at hiding my strangeness now than I used to be). I actually tell people I have SA so that they have something to pin the awkwardness on. That way they don't wonder if I have something worse. Like a messed up gender identity. Being able to tell them I'm SA is very useful. I don't care at all what people think about that. Most people just nod with a sort of "aha!" look on their face.

#23 ·
I don't know. It would be pretty sad to think people have nothing better to do than to wonder if I have social anxiety. :lol

I mean most of the people I actually end up interacting with have stuff to do so the thought that they'd feel compelled to take up brainpower with an unnecessary and unsolicited assessment of my inner mind is kind of odd.

#24 ·
I think people just assume I am quiet or shy. Possibly stuck up. I am fine in one on one interactions in places where I am comfortable - like my house- but in groups.... I just avoid. A lot of people know that I have done a lot of theater too, so they assume that I am outgoing or comfortable, and so when I am aloof and quiet, they think I am being rude. I can do theater because for some reason when I get on stage, it isn't me, its like an out of body thing almost.... like I am watching that other person do it. Around people, not so much. I freeze up. I feel judged. Unliked. I think people just think I'm a weirdo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.