Do you think it's possible to reconnect with an ex girlfriend later on in life? - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 05-03-2012, 02:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Post Do you think it's possible to reconnect with an ex girlfriend later on in life?

Okay I just got done watching the movie Definitely, Maybe for the 10th time. Great movie btw, one of my all time favorites. What I am trying to say is that I want to find an April of my very own.

The premise of the movie for those who haven't had the pleasure of viewing it yet is that it follows Ryan Reynolds and his life during his 20s. Eventually later on in life he ends up with the person he was supposed to be with all that time. I know it's idealistic but do you think you can recapture a lost connection after years of not seeing someone? Life can be so complicated.
elvin jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

may be if he/she didnt dump u for a weird reson....

I cant bear my ex..he was such a crap..though i have seen many people who r still in contact with their ex..i wonder
Old 05-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Depends on how the relationship ended and how strong your SO's feelings for you were. I've known it to happen.
shadowmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

It can happen. And it's not absurd to try to make it happen.
JGreenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yes

The opportunity was recently presented to me (she initiated it) and I had to reject it. I'm too messed up to be someones boyfriend ATM. It wouldn't have been fair to her.

If I was a selfish/non empathetic being I would have probably agreed to it though
Knowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowbody View Post

The opportunity was recently presented to me (she initiated it) and I had to reject it. I'm too messed up to be someones boyfriend ATM. It wouldn't have been fair to her.

This isn't the first time I read something like this on here. What exactly does this mean? Do you feel like having social anxiety makes it difficult to be dating? What if you never fully get over it? To me having someone you can lean on for help makes life that much more livable.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

I tried to find my Japanese ex-boyfriends on facebook and on this other Japanese site but no success. Not very many Japanese people use facebook and if they are on that other site they use a fake name or nickname cause Japanese are kind of weird about privacy. Just kind of curious of what they are up to. I don't want to date them ever again.
komorikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

It takes me months to get over someone, so the way I cope with breakups is to break off all communication (to the point where I won't even talk with them or establish eye contact). After I'm over it, they invariably don't understand what I'm doing, assume that I hate them, and end up hating me themselves. Doesn't really help the odds of the whole 'reconnecting' thing!
Grimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimsey View Post
It takes me months to get over someone, so the way I cope with breakups is to break off all communication (to the point where I won't even talk with them or establish eye contact). After I'm over it, they invariably don't understand what I'm doing, assume that I hate them, and end up hating me themselves. Doesn't really help the odds of the whole 'reconnecting' thing!
Have you ever had someone that you always think about. Even after not talking to them for a long time. That must have some deeper meaning. Why her? What makes this person so much different from all the rest?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvin jones View Post
Have you ever had someone that you always think about. Even after not talking to them for a long time. That must have some deeper meaning. Why her? What makes this person so much different from all the rest?
There's a girl that I've basically obsessed about for years, but I was never her boyfriend in the first place. It's quite pathetic.

To reply to the initial question, you can definitely reconnect with an ex-girlfriend if you want. I've witnessed it firsthand, it happened with my grandparents.
Grimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimsey View Post
There's a girl that I've basically obsessed about for years, but I was never her boyfriend in the first place. It's quite pathetic.
So what exactly happened? Was it an unrequited love?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

So here I am, lying on my bed completely wide awake, thinking about the past. Remembering the last time I saw and spoke to her. Barely managing to utter the words, "I still love you" before she turned her back on me and I never saw her again. All those old memories and feelings are suddenly rushing back to me. Why now? After all this time I wonder.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

I havent seen the movie so dont know whether the couple were just acquaintances or had an intimate relationship.

I've seen interviews on TV with couples who have parted for whatever reason and then re-united years later. Some couples even get divorced and then re-marry at a later date dont they?

People grow and change all the time, so it may be a case of discovering a 'new' person. I do think it's important though that there are no hidden deep-down resentments of what has been on either side.

Personally I wouldnt want an ex back beyond more than friendship, but if you want to give it a go - good luck!
CamelLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:41 AM   #14 (permalink)

I think so. It just depends why you broke up the first time. If it's some core personality trait, then it's pointless trying again. If it was more of a 'being at different stages/different priorities' thing, then yeah: you might be more aligned now.
CeilingStarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #15 (permalink)

you know i remember my 1st love telling me wouldn't it be great if in 20 years time we both were reunited and i said why thats stupid were together now, she was always thinking about the future and the plans she made too bad im no longer a part of that, she now married and has two kids will we ever get back to gether doubt it sh*t like that only happens in the movies

- Tupac Shakur -
Aries33 is offline   Reply With Quote