X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 01-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do you replay conversations in your head?

I think this is the facet of SA that easily makes me seem the craziest. It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes I'll either rehearse how a conversation will go ahead of time, or afterwards replay it in my head and weigh if what I said was stupid/weird or not. Anyone else do this?
bud2988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

I always do it that too but I replay it like how I want to act and pretend Im saying what I really feel I should or want to say.

This is linked to the regrets I have about my previous conversations that I posted earlier.
joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, constantly. Sometimes I'm not even aware that I'm doing this until five or ten minutes have passed.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

I reflect back to conversations in my head a lot wondering if I said something stupid.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

I do this all the time. And if I don't like what I said, I'll replay it in my head how I wanted it to go. Sometimes I think I would have been a good actress
Old 01-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
MPS

I think I'm getting better at this. It's definitely not happening as often as it used to.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

If this is an aspect of SA then we all have SA.

People do this on a fairly regular basis. It's natural. I once walked in on a girl having an argument with herself and when questioned she pointed out that she was play acting an argument with her boyfriend and saying what she'd wanted to say not what she actually had said in the actual moment. She even did an impression of her boyfriend which was quite funny. Especially as he was a mate of mine.

It's one of those things we do in response to moments and things that either did not go as planned or that we fear may not have gone as planned.
percyblueraincoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

when i have "conversations", i am usually too occupied thinking about how stupid i must have sounded to remember what the other person said. i do the rehearsing as well, and it's really weird, if i don't actually have the conversation, if i don't say what it was that i was going to say, it shows up later in a dream...very weird.
Yozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

I do that all the time. I rehearse conversations in my mind before hand, and replay them in my head afterwords looking for 'mistakes'.

Its a bad habit and feeds anxiety. Normally I can just push it out of my mind, but not always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joinmartin View Post
If this is an aspect of SA then we all have SA.

People do this on a fairly regular basis. It's natural. I once walked in on a girl having an argument with herself and when questioned she pointed out that she was play acting an argument with her boyfriend and saying what she'd wanted to say not what she actually had said in the actual moment. She even did an impression of her boyfriend which was quite funny. Especially as he was a mate of mine.

It's one of those things we do in response to moments and things that either did not go as planned or that we fear may not have gone as planned.
People experience anxiety all the time as well, that doesn't mean they have SA. SA is when you do it excessively (disorder basically means differs from norm).
HeWhoCouldNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yes, this is something I can relate to.

My explanation for this is that I feel regret over something I said in the conversation which may have sounded rude or inappropriate.

After remembering I usually think about what the other person's opinion of me is after the conversation and how they value me.

It only happens when I experience a bout of low self-confidence.

Ivan AG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

All the time, sometimes I'll even act out scenarios for myself, just to see where they might lead.

It's also why I write nowadays, I find it more productive.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

All the time, even ones from years ago, thinking about how I could have done things differently for the better.
Duke of Prunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

I think I can dwell on a conversation for hours afterwards... sometimes days, sometimes weeks. I think I recap everything in my head because those conversations had me very anxious and self-concious about myself... so I probably go back and replay it all interpreting myself saying stupid things and them thinking something negative about me. It's as though I want to see if everything went ok/smooth or if I actually embarrassed myself and said something stupid.
It's definitely a big aspect for SAD, for me at least. It can torture me at times.
iuseings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Yes, it is called reasoning. Your mind is the lab and the conversations are experiments.
WTFnooooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

I do on occasion. Sometimes it's involuntary. Other times I also sometimes do it by my own will which is probably rather odd. Ultimately, more so now anyway, I come to conclude that I'm almost giving them a higher status since I'm worrying of what impressions I've made.

As a result, after I start replaying social scenarios in my head instead of hating myself for saying things that I conceive as stupid I hate them which is, needless to say, no better alternative. However, this can often vary, specifically if I felt a specific emotional attachment to them.
PerfectSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

I do it all the time. I'll obsess over conversations months, even years in some cases, after I've had them. But I don't just repeat the coversations over and over in my head; I replace what I said with what I wanted to say or should have said,imagine positive reactions from doing the former. Or in the case of bad conversations, reliving the humiliation.
Miss Apprehensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yep, I do this all the time. I rehearse conversations based on who I am talking to - usually certain people make me more anxious than others, so I have a loose script of what I will talk about in my head.

I ALWAYS replay conversations, and usually I realize I could have said things differently, or missed out on opportunities to say something because I'm so uptight at the time. However, I try to make all them learning experiences and try to do better the next time.
Yella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

I used to do this obsessively when I was younger. I would replay most conversations in my head and analyze them to bits. I guess somewhere along the line I just learned to let go. Unless of course the conversation is an argument in which case I replay the conversations and think of all the clever things I should have said at the time. It always reminds me of George Costanza. "Oh yeah? Well the jerk store called, and they're running out of you!"

http://www.youtube.com/v/xwfioD-ING8
MattFoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #19 (permalink)

If you are crazy for doing this then I am too (lol). I do this a lot. I actually do it more when I have to make phone calls to deal with banks, credit cards, doctor's office, etc). I hate those types of calls. Even though people on the other side of the line can't see me I still get nervous so I have to practice before hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud2988 View Post
I think this is the facet of SA that easily makes me seem the craziest. It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes I'll either rehearse how a conversation will go ahead of time, or afterwards replay it in my head and weigh if what I said was stupid/weird or not. Anyone else do this?
Marce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

Allllllllllllll the time.

Even ones from years ago
josh23 is offline   Reply With Quote