Do you refuse to take any drug? Why? - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Reply
Old 12-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
 
SomniferumPapi's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southern California
Gender: Male
Age: 21
Posts: 902



Default Do you refuse to take any drug? Why?

What makes people so against drugs when they are suffering so much. And if you are against drugs and or on an antidepressant, then tell me your excuse for that lol. By drugs I mean street drugs or prescription drugs that have an effect on your mind. anything from xanax, to antidepressants, to oxycodone.
SomniferumPapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
Rossy's Avatar
 
Status: Who knows
Join Date: Jan 2011
Gender: Male
Age: 25
Posts: 5,603



Default

They just mask the problem that's what I think.
Rossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
 
nork123's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Surrey UK
Gender: Male
Age: 24
Posts: 1,265



Default

I have always been fond of using drugs and substances recreationally, I think my personality leans towards that type of behavior, I wouldn't call myself an addict, but at the same time the idea of being perpetually sober just doesn't feel like something I could do. Downers are my kinda thing, like alcohol, gbl, opiates, benzo's etc. stimulantes make me nervous, and anything psychedelic freaks me out, even weed which I cant smoke anymore, but at the same time hate that I cant enjoy it because I used to love it before it went downhill for me
__________________
Your lips are like 2 flaps of fat, they go front and back and flappity flap
nork123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
SomniferumPapi's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southern California
Gender: Male
Age: 21
Posts: 902



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossy View Post
They just mask the problem that's what I think.
Yea thats a well known fact. They shouldn't be used as a replacement for laziness. But they can be used to jumpstart your life into a positive gear. For example, if someone is so depressed they cant even get out of bed, if they drink some kratom tea and actually take care of their basic needs, go to work and socialize etc then that memory can stay with them and they only need to use the drug when they REALLY need to. and they will benefit from those positive experiences. Plus I think alot of people on here have good discipline when it comes to drugs
SomniferumPapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
GD8
 
GD8's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Florida
Gender: Male
Age: 20
Posts: 1,748



Default

High addiction rate, ****ed up side-effects. Need I say more?
__________________
My Last.fm

My Tumblr
GD8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 309



Default

^^ehh that rarely happens though.when someone uses a drug to motivate themselves, they usually develop a dependency on the drug.look how many people use tobacco and caffeine to get a jumpstart?
baxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
 
SomniferumPapi's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southern California
Gender: Male
Age: 21
Posts: 902



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nork123 View Post
I have always been fond of using drugs and substances recreationally, I think my personality leans towards that type of behavior, I wouldn't call myself an addict, but at the same time the idea of being perpetually sober just doesn't feel like something I could do. Downers are my kinda thing, like alcohol, gbl, opiates, benzo's etc. stimulantes make me nervous, and anything psychedelic freaks me out, even weed which I cant smoke anymore, but at the same time hate that I cant enjoy it because I used to love it before it went downhill for me
Damn, thats just like me. I used to be an addict to H but last time i used it was like a week ago, just occassional use because i REALLY think that trying it was like the forbidden fruit, or opened a portal in my mind that cant be closed. But at least i have the knowledge of knowing what heaven is like lol.

Downers are my favorite also. I am not the type of person who sleeps on xanax. I actually get motivated to do things when im sedated. Wish I had the chance to try ghb or gbl...

I like stimulants also, but its just the physical anxiety that sometimes comes up. And weed, is also too "trippy" for me most of the time if i smopke more than one hit. WHich is why i like to smoke it only when i i know ima be alone for a while lol. One hit of a Sativa can make me more social though.

I also wish i enjoyed weed as much as other people because then i could be doing a "lesser evil" and stick to that instead. Plus its widely socially accepted now. and theres medicinal cannabis haha
SomniferumPapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
 
SomniferumPapi's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southern California
Gender: Male
Age: 21
Posts: 902



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD8 View Post
High addiction rate, ****ed up side-effects. Need I say more?
Yea definitely say more, or read more. Ifsomeone isnt smart enough to read up on them in a non-biased site like erowid.org, then you have no business using them. Side effects if any, can be controlled or minimized to levels where you cant even notice it.
Addiction also depends on the individual. Again, your points backfire if someone is properly educated about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxman View Post
^^ehh that rarely happens though.when someone uses a drug to motivate themselves, they usually develop a dependency on the drug.look how many people use tobacco and caffeine to get a jumpstart?
It happens way more than you think. And the reason for that is, that people that dont get hooked on it dont go around telling people/show people that. while the negative effects of drugs are popularized by the media.
SomniferumPapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
GD8
 
GD8's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Florida
Gender: Male
Age: 20
Posts: 1,748



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomniferumPapi View Post
Yea definitely say more, or read more. Ifsomeone isnt smart enough to read up on them in a non-biased site like erowid.org, then you have no business using them. Side effects if any, can be controlled or minimized to levels where you cant even notice it.
Addiction also depends on the individual. Again, your points backfire if someone is properly educated about them.
k babe, good luck with your future addictions and what not.
__________________
My Last.fm

My Tumblr
GD8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
 
iNeedtoRelax's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,279



Default

Prescribed drugs are okay, I'll take them. The only drugs I will not take are the illegal ones, unless prescribed by a doctor.
__________________
Be yourself, because everyone else is taken.
iNeedtoRelax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
 
thephantommenace's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: missouri
Gender: Male
Posts: 883



Default

I've taken speed, benzos, alcohol and weed... but the most addictive thing I've ever taken is cigarettes. And they don't really even do anything for me but the withdrawal on cigs is just really hard. I know benzos have a worst withdrawal but you really have to take them a lot to experience it. The first time I smoked a cig I was hooked.
__________________
Your choice is simple: join us and live in peace, or pursue your present course and face obliteration. We shall be waiting for your answer. The decision rests with you. - Klaatu
thephantommenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jun 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,862



Default

I've tried prescription drugs twice just to have them mess me up even more. The side effects are too much. Needless to say, I've basically given up on prescription drugs. Not only that, but I realized that I really don't need them. I just need to keep challenging my anxiety and pushing myself to manage it.

As for street drugs, I just don't feel the need to try them. The only one I'd be willing to try is pot, but the whole culture surrounding it has completely turned me off. I mean, some people who smoke it act so proud of themselves for it. Not only that, but I'm paranoid about who grows the stuff and where it comes from. I highly doubt I would enjoy it anyways. The harder drugs do not interest me at all.

I wouldn't say I refuse to take any drug. Coffee is a drug, right? I take a bit of it in the morning to wake me up and give me a bit of energy. It aids me as a motivator at least.
CrimsonTrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Gender: Male
Age: 19
Posts: 3,709



Default

I want to use natural means to get through SA... no drugs, no hypnosis, etc.. I also don't like the possible adverse side effects of drugs and the deaths they cause each year (not saying you'll die if you're moderate). They can be highly addictive. Pharmaceutical companies also make big profits from them. Drugs don't cure, they only temporarily relieve.

There's also the possibility of an economic collapse and when that happens people who need drugs are going to have serious problems because then there will be a massive shortage of drugs.

I was on Wellbutrin but I decided to get off it a couple months ago.

Edit: erowid non-biased? No one is non-biased. Drugs are not the answer for life, Jesus Christ is. I used to smoke pot (that's all I really did on a normal basis) but I gave it up because I realized that it makes things worse and I don't need it. The Illuminati want you on drugs so you won't pay attention to important matters, you'll just be tripping all the time.

Conclusion:
Prescription drugs: Greedy corporate interests, adverse effects, large death toll, highly addictive.
Street drugs: Illegal, adverse effects, considerable death toll, highly addictive.
They're both only temporary and when you don't have a fix you feel terrible.
LEAVING NOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
 
Status: Permanently Banned
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: My only friend is an imaginary cat, TN
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,728



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTrigger View Post
As for street drugs, I just don't feel the need to try them. The only one I'd be willing to try is pot, but the whole culture surrounding it has completely turned me off. I mean, some people who smoke it act so proud of themselves for it. Not only that, but I'm paranoid about who grows the stuff and where it comes from. I highly doubt I would enjoy it anyways. The harder drugs do not interest me at all.
You'd probably enjoy it. I understand what you're saying about the whole "proud pothead" bull****, but that has nothing to do with the drug itself. Odds are you wouldn't come into anything laced, and if you're worried about that just ask the seller or middleman to smoke it with you. But as a word of caution you can react to it differently depending on the setting or mood, could make you paranoid or depressed. It does wonders for art though.

I used to be pretty anti-pot too mainly because of the stupid culture surrounding it like you mentioned but once I tried it I realized it really isn't a big deal.
creasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
 
tehuti88's Avatar
 
Status: Mackinac Island Fanatic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: At the bottom of a lake (Michigan)
Gender: Female
Age: 38
Posts: 17,368



Default

1. Prescription meds haven't done anything but make me fat and apathetic. So I'm not "against" taking them, but they haven't done me any good, so...

2. Regarding illegal drugs:

2a. I don't wish to break the law (I'm a goody-two-shoes that way, and I ask that people just respect my decision and not judge me for it).

2b. I'm afraid of how I might act/react while under the influence...I don't WANT to lose all my inhibitions; better for me not to tempt fate or find out the hard way that an illegal drug wouldn't help me either and might in fact just make me worse. I could break the law or do something utterly mortifying under the influence, plus I open myself up to getting taken advantage of...I really don't want to deal with that.

2c. An illegal drug just strikes me as a Band-Aid covering up the problem rather than helping resolve it. For this reason I don't wish to ever get drunk just to cope with anything, either.

3. Plus dependence on one drug can often lead to abuse of others--not always, but there's a correlation.

4. I have a strong and likely reasonable fear of getting addicted. (Such behaviors seem to run in the family.) No thank you.

These are the reasons for my refusal to take illegal drugs or to use alcohol or nicotine. (I do use caffeine and sleeping pills, and medications for things like colds, and am on prescription meds for things not having to do with depression/anxiety.)

I'm not judging or questioning anyone here who decides to use them, so, I ask not to be judged or have my perfectly valid reasons questioned.
__________________
If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

***

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

***

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island

***

I'm a go-getter! I go and get it. Then I bring it back!

"Don't overthink the metaphor, Cartwright!"
tehuti88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
 
Farideh's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Age: 24
Posts: 6,322



Default

Any drug I take makes me feel like complete sh*t. I get a stomach upset with one and then I fall asleep during the day time with the other one. Then I feel drowsy with a different one. I refuse to take drugs. I just never liked it. Although there was this one time where I was severly depressed so I had to go back on my medication which helped me a lot and got rid of my symptoms... It just makes me feel sick.
Farideh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6



Default

Personally, I just don't like the idea of some outside substance influencing my mind in any way, I like full control and the idea of losing it scares me, especially when there's a danger of addiction. I don't drink, I don't do drugs, heck, I barely drink coffee! I've been prescribed ADs by my psychiatrist recently and I'm still wrestling with myself whether to actually start using them.
watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3



Default

i personally like drugs better than alcohol. instead of masking your problems or trying to find a quick fix to socialize easier, drugs like weed, e, dmt and lsd are all non addictive and allow you to experience life in a completely different way for a short period of time and it can change your mindset for the better and it also may help with social anxiety... not for everyone, and im not an avid drug user but i do think its a more positive approach than to drink all the time and fall into a slump.
everythingiswonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
 
SomniferumPapi's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southern California
Gender: Male
Age: 21
Posts: 902



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNeedtoRelax View Post
Prescribed drugs are okay, I'll take them. The only drugs I will not take are the illegal ones, unless prescribed by a doctor.
So its only for fear of breaking the law and getting arrested? If so, thats a pretty good reason lol. Jail sucks. But if its just because of the bad name street drugs have, well alot of the prescription meds are just clean versions of the street drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarmarin1995 View Post
I want to use natural means to get through SA... no drugs, no hypnosis, etc.. I also don't like the possible adverse side effects of drugs and the deaths they cause each year (not saying you'll die if you're moderate). They can be highly addictive. Pharmaceutical companies also make big profits from them. Drugs don't cure, they only temporarily relieve.

There's also the possibility of an economic collapse and when that happens people who need drugs are going to have serious problems because then there will be a massive shortage of drugs.

I was on Wellbutrin but I decided to get off it a couple months ago.

Edit: erowid non-biased? No one is non-biased. Drugs are not the answer for life, Jesus Christ is. I used to smoke pot (that's all I really did on a normal basis) but I gave it up because I realized that it makes things worse and I don't need it. The Illuminati want you on drugs so you won't pay attention to important matters, you'll just be tripping all the time.

Conclusion:
Prescription drugs: Greedy corporate interests, adverse effects, large death toll, highly addictive.
Street drugs: Illegal, adverse effects, considerable death toll, highly addictive.
They're both only temporary and when you don't have a fix you feel terrible.
You make very good points, especially that people will be ****ed if they are dependant on a drug and suddenly get cut off. Hell for pain patients, and maybe deaths for benzo addicts if there is no alcohol available .
Thats hwy drugs should only be used as a bandaid to stop the bleeding enough to get on with your life. If you leave a bandaid on for too long, its unsuccessful lol.

Im pretty sure some people at least will be non-biased lol. Besides, erowid is no propaganda, just raw research not like pharmaceutical companies that manipulate everything.

Your conclusion is spot on. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTrigger View Post
I've tried prescription drugs twice just to have them mess me up even more. The side effects are too much. Needless to say, I've basically given up on prescription drugs. Not only that, but I realized that I really don't need them. I just need to keep challenging my anxiety and pushing myself to manage it.

As for street drugs, I just don't feel the need to try them. The only one I'd be willing to try is pot, but the whole culture surrounding it has completely turned me off. I mean, some people who smoke it act so proud of themselves for it. Not only that, but I'm paranoid about who grows the stuff and where it comes from. I highly doubt I would enjoy it anyways. The harder drugs do not interest me at all.

I wouldn't say I refuse to take any drug. Coffee is a drug, right? I take a bit of it in the morning to wake me up and give me a bit of energy. It aids me as a motivator at least.
Yea, coffee and cigarettes (even though health problems may occur) arent that much of an evil because they are widely used in this society.
Thats great, if you have the strength to push yourself without any drugs (besides the usual caffeine, cigs etc) then more power to you, literally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehuti88 View Post
1. Prescription meds haven't done anything but make me fat and apathetic. So I'm not "against" taking them, but they haven't done me any good, so...

2. Regarding illegal drugs:

2a. I don't wish to break the law (I'm a goody-two-shoes that way, and I ask that people just respect my decision and not judge me for it).

2b. I'm afraid of how I might act/react while under the influence...I don't WANT to lose all my inhibitions; better for me not to tempt fate or find out the hard way that an illegal drug wouldn't help me either and might in fact just make me worse. I could break the law or do something utterly mortifying under the influence, plus I open myself up to getting taken advantage of...I really don't want to deal with that.

2c. An illegal drug just strikes me as a Band-Aid covering up the problem rather than helping resolve it. For this reason I don't wish to ever get drunk just to cope with anything, either.

3. Plus dependence on one drug can often lead to abuse of others--not always, but there's a correlation.

4. I have a strong and likely reasonable fear of getting addicted. (Such behaviors seem to run in the family.) No thank you.

These are the reasons for my refusal to take illegal drugs or to use alcohol or nicotine. (I do use caffeine and sleeping pills, and medications for things like colds, and am on prescription meds for things not having to do with depression/anxiety.)

I'm not judging or questioning anyone here who decides to use them, so, I ask not to be judged or have my perfectly valid reasons questioned.
I love your answer. They are all rational reasons. Whatever makes you stay away from them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paloma M View Post
Any drug I take makes me feel like complete sh*t. I get a stomach upset with one and then I fall asleep during the day time with the other one. Then I feel drowsy with a different one. I refuse to take drugs. I just never liked it. Although there was this one time where I was severly depressed so I had to go back on my medication which helped me a lot and got rid of my symptoms... It just makes me feel sick.
Oh sh*t so you are the kind of person that doesnt get high, mostly just feels sick? I wonder why that is...Thanks for your input

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher View Post
Personally, I just don't like the idea of some outside substance influencing my mind in any way, I like full control and the idea of losing it scares me, especially when there's a danger of addiction. I don't drink, I don't do drugs, heck, I barely drink coffee! I've been prescribed ADs by my psychiatrist recently and I'm still wrestling with myself whether to actually start using them.
Thats a great mindset to have, because its better to never eat the forbidden fruit or else that door will stay open forever in your brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingiswonderful View Post
i personally like drugs better than alcohol. instead of masking your problems or trying to find a quick fix to socialize easier, drugs like weed, e, dmt and lsd are all non addictive and allow you to experience life in a completely different way for a short period of time and it can change your mindset for the better and it also may help with social anxiety... not for everyone, and im not an avid drug user but i do think its a more positive approach than to drink all the time and fall into a slump.
I personall like drugs better than alcohol also...Except alcohol IS a drug so...lol
I know what you are talking about, like self exploration, spiritual enlightenment etc. If someone prepares and does a little "ritual" beforehand(not, im not talking about black magic or any kind lol), then it can be used as a tool.

Its not for everyone thats true. Especially first timers if they are anxious lol baaadd trip for sure
SomniferumPapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
 
jonny neurotic's Avatar
 
Status: Lookig forward...
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London
Gender: Male
Age: 30
Posts: 2,160



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarmarin1995 View Post
erowid non-biased? No one is non-biased. Drugs are not the answer for life, Jesus Christ is. I used to smoke pot (that's all I really did on a normal basis) but I gave it up because I realized that it makes things worse and I don't need it. The Illuminati want you on drugs so you won't pay attention to important matters, you'll just be tripping all the time.

Conclusion:
Prescription drugs: Greedy corporate interests, adverse effects, large death toll, highly addictive.
Street drugs: Illegal, adverse effects, considerable death toll, highly addictive.
They're both only temporary and when you don't have a fix you feel terrible.
The illuminati? Lol. Have you been watching videos on youtube?
__________________
"Don't let it end like this...

...tell them I said something..."


Pancho Villa
jonny neurotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Refuse to do things cause your by your self September Skies Coping With Social Anxiety 17 04-03-2011 08:32 PM
Favors: Just refuse! Sloppy Joe Frustration 11 01-28-2010 01:50 PM
Refuse to Complain blc1 Coping With Social Anxiety 6 04-16-2009 11:04 PM
I refuse to let... tinselhair Positive Thinking 2 05-17-2007 06:15 PM
Do you refuse to take medication? sone Medication 15 05-17-2007 01:11 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:51 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® ©2000-2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc. User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.