X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 05-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do you hold your anger/problems inside?

I'm one of those guys who holds all their thoughts and problems inside until one day I finally lose it and tell everyone to F off. This can't be healthy... maybe another reason why I'm always anxious. I guess it has to come out somehow. I just never felt comfortable sitting down and talking with my people about my problems. I probably avoid this because I'm also real bad at eye contact, so it feels like a chore to have conversations with people.... Even my parents..... How about you guys? Do you hold everything in and how do you think that effects you and your mental health?
tednugent2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Do you hold your anger/problems inside?

Not so much anger...it takes a whole lot to get me mad. Problems, however, I always keep to myself. My dad was raised in a family where if there was an issue, everyone was suppose to ignore it and hope it goes away (is this an irish catholic thing??? or just a family trait???) Anyway, when I was younger, my immediate family did this a lot. It has gotten a bit better over the years, but a very hard habit to break.

Another weird thing, is I feel like an open book if there is something wrong in my world. I've been told that I am hard to read, but with SA, as I'm sure other people do, I over-analyze situations and once my mind is filled and I get that anxious feeling, I tend to think that EVERYBODY around me knows I'm off. Paranoia gets me every time.

Have you ever tried writing things down, tednugent2007? I find this to be really helpful when dealing with things...it just organizes thoughts and can release feelings sometimes when it's in black and white.
hoping everything's not lost.
-Chris Martin
MissPhitMSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm easily annoyed, so my parents usually notice if I'm more pissed off than usual. But other than that, I am the kind of perosn who tends to keep things bottled up. Journaling helps.
IllusionOfHappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mo, yeah, I have lots of paranoia. It's like I have a stream of negative thoughts always pumping through my head, no matter what. I've never tried writing things down. Maybe I'll start doing that.
tednugent2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm difficult to make angry... there have only been a handful of instances during my life that I can say I was actually mad. In those cases I didn't bottle it up, I let it out and the person knew I was angry with them. On the rare occasion I get angry, it generally marks the end of whatever relationship I had with the person, as I tend to remove them from my life at that point.

I do bottle up a lot, but anger isn't in that category. Depression, sadness, frustration... those sorts of things stay inside for the most part. Even the times I'm happy I bottle it up. It's as though I don't know how to outwardly express emotion.
trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sometimes I let anger build up. I try and release it before it gets to a point of where I would snap at someone.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Botteling my anger is second nature to me. Screaming and yelling doesn't even cross my mind. I'm sure it would feel great but SA just doesn't allow for the kind of behaviour. I usually wait until i'm home and in my room to express my anger. It's easier that way.
Lost_loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have a lot of anger issues that I try to keep under control by not acknowledging that I'm upset. It works for awhile but then there are times when I just snap. One time it got so bad, my mother almost called the cops on me.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

I hold my anger/problems inside, and then when I have had all that I can take, I tell people to f*** off if they are ugly to me.
BeachGaBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Location: SE, BE, NO, DE, GB, ES, FI, NL, HU, FR, GI (or somewhere in between)

For the most part, yes.