do you have anxiety around your immediate family members? - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 08-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default do you have anxiety around your immediate family members?

its weird, but over the past year, I've been having social anxiety around my sister. I guess its cause I'm always afraid I'll get so angry with her that I'll hurt her. We're not very communicative, and its always awkward around her cause she doesn't talk to me much either, except when to criticize. Lately, she hasn't been criticizing me because I told her off, but then the anxiety stems from wondering what the heck she's thinking about me now...cause its prolly some petty thing about me. This might sound awfully weird and twisted, but I'm actually getting anxiety attacks at home more frequently then in public now. Odd indeed.
sparkations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: do you have anxiety around your immediate family members?

me too. i live w my mother and she alone is cause to my anxiety. i hide from her and we'rejust 2 !. i am also scared of my sister, and her husband, and their kid.

expressing emotion infront of family members is also panicky. when im around their toddler kid, i usually freeze =(
dyingtolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

even though, we all make efforts to open up conversation n stuff. and i feel im doing ok as well. but after the communication or exhcange of words,, its like... i feel... we still didnt connect in the same wavelength to put is both in the same Room. i dont like it. and i wish things could be relaxed... weird.. it was always like that at home... since childhood... maybe they have all applied normal relationships in their own lives, my sibligns...
Old 08-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

maybe these things cant be forced all at once. we have to do a bit more each day... then gradually b4 we know it, we talk more.. and its just a Bit more natural.. mre freeflowing u know.. u cant expect a total miracle but we can make it better step by step
Old 08-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default ---

---
littlesongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

I can't talk to my brothers, haven't seen them for a long time. I started getting anxious around them after they left home. They are both a bit critical of me.

I can't talk to my parents, but they don't make me anxious in that way.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm pretty comfortable around my family, actually. It's other people that make me anxious.
chris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

I get anxiety around EVERYONE. Doesn't matter who it is anymore. I can't even look my own family members in the eyes for more than a few seconds before I look away. I'm always pushing people away when they try to get closer.

...The more time I spend on this board, the more I realize how bad my social anxiety is compared to others who suffer from it. I'm not trying to minimize anyone else's difficulties with anxiety and depression by saying that, but it just seems like I have some serious issues that no one else can relate to.
dsf23j9j2dlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm fine around my parents but I'm anxious around everyone else I'm related to.
But I'm not prepared to die
No more a human being
Just a fool of anxiety
Unable to escape
The darkest insanity
Bad Religion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
SMI

It's a bit awkward where I live. I live with my mom, 3 sisters, and my mom's boyfriend /: I don't really talk to any of my sisters, don't communicate with my mom, and my mom's boyfriend... well... I bet any of you could imagine how awkward that is, ESPECIALLY when he has his 3 kids stay for a weekend every once in a while. They are so ****ing nosy that it's ridiculous. IE: "Why do you sit in your room all day?" "You're so tall, how tall are you?" "What is that stuff all over your back (I have pretty severe acne on my back)?"

My sister's also like to make fun of me. My hair, my clothes, my music, anything. Then theirs my sisters' friends... Don't even get me started on them, hooboy.

This living arrangement of mine is most definitely not working out, I'd love it so much to move out... but I don't have a job or go to school so I'm pretty much ****ed.
I've heard of ghosts. Good ghosts who wander the battlefields at night, guiding soldiers out of danger. You can see their omens everywhere. Omens, warnings of stray bullets and lurking enemies. If I was such a ghost, I would stay so close to you, you could feel my breath on your cheek.
SMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have more anxiety around family than strangers and new people I know. I think its because they've known me so long and its hard to change who I am in their perceptions. Its embarassing.

I hardly talk to my brother. I can't understand how brother's are so close - like best friends - who share so much with each other. Or at least act like two beer guzzling, sport buckling macho men around each other.

Quote:
My sister's also like to make fun of me. My hair, my clothes, my music, anything
Is your sister younger than you. This just sounds like immaturity to me.
estse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
SMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurochrome
Quote:
My sister's also like to make fun of me. My hair, my clothes, my music, anything
Is your sister younger than you. This just sounds like immaturity to me.
Ha, nope, she's almost 2 years older than me. She is an incredibly immature person though and I don't think she realizes it. I get along better with my younger sisters.
I've heard of ghosts. Good ghosts who wander the battlefields at night, guiding soldiers out of danger. You can see their omens everywhere. Omens, warnings of stray bullets and lurking enemies. If I was such a ghost, I would stay so close to you, you could feel my breath on your cheek.
SMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
IE: "Why do you sit in your room all day?" "You're so tall, how tall are you?" "What is that stuff all over your back (I have pretty severe acne on my back)?"

My sister's also like to make fun of me. My hair, my clothes, my music, anything. Then theirs my sisters' friends... Don't even get me started on them, hooboy.

This living arrangement of mine is most definitely not working out, I'd love it so much to move out... but I don't have a job or go to school so I'm pretty much @#%$.
ditto. my sisters are like that too. i don't get it. they can't just shut the hell up and mind their own business instead of doing petty things like picking on their siblings? to be quite honest, i am the most mature out of everyone in my household. my sister is a retard. she steals clothes without asking. she'll make comments about my clothing, my hair, etc. i'd love to move out, but i don't have a job-i would work if it wasn't for the fact that i get anxiety attacks in work situations..
sparkations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default is my mother my anxiety?

I have been suffering my whole life (27 years) with semi diagnosed mental illness. I can honestly say that my life has been one giant **** pot of a variety of different negative and devastating situations and feelings since the age of 4. Anyways, what I wanted to talk about is I live with my mother and my husband and 2 boys. I know that my mother causes all of the anxiety and guilt in my life. I know that she treats me like a I am an incompetent fool and she constantly criticizes me and expects me to always have everything done around the house all the time. She knows that I have a several serious mental illnesses and anxiety and personality disorders along with major depression, but she acts like I am perfectly fine and that I am just being lazy. I am so consumed with guilt and anxiety and fear when it comes to her and how she will be when she walks in the door that I am paralyzed all day long. It is so bad that when she yells at me for things my husband or my kids have or haven't done, instead of telling her to stop I go yell at them because I am more afraid of her reaction then theirs. I don't know what to do. I tell myself that I can't live without her, and that she is the reason I am alive. Am I just saying this because I am trying to justify her treatment of me?
Stacie1618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yes i can never be comfortable around them I'm more comfortable with my friends from school their the only person that know a lot about me my family has no idea what i like, or my hobbies I'm basicly a stranger to them maybe if we had a better relationship they would know more about me . My mom is the same
mybelovedaldra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

Yes. I can barely maintain eye contact with either parent for more than five seconds.

Singing sweet savages lost in our world
This big eyed girl sees her faces unfurl
Now she's in purple, now she's the turtle
Disintegrating

Siouxsie and the Banshees--"Christine"

The Misery Chick is offline   Reply With Quote