X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 03-04-2008, 01:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do you have a difficult time making decisions?

I dunno what this could be apart of, but I've always had a REALLY hard time making sometimes mad simple decisions. For starters, just tonight I had to call off my usual driving job (I normally drive about 350 miles total across states at this) because the weather was just to bad. The thing about it was that I drove a half hour in this blatantly bad weather before I could come to the decision it just wasn't safe for me. Worse yet, as I was driving back, I started to doubt myself more and more thinking how it would make me look like a bad employee and how its my job to drive, even in bad weather like this. Nobody seemed or said they were dissapointed when I returned, yet I still couldn't beat the bad feeling.

Othertimes its mad difficult for me to make decisions on behalf of other people. I mean, if I went to the store to get a drink and you asked me to "just pick up something good" to drink for you while I was there, I would undoubtedly call you up and ask you about the drink I'm getting for you. One real life example of this is when I was trying to get a portable generator. My mother told me she was fine with helping me pay half on one if I found it and I did. After I found one I thought was decent, I told my mother about it and asked her to look it over as well. She told me that she trusted my decision and to go ahead and buy it. This made the decision to get the thing way harder since she left her faith in me on it without ever taking an actual look at the thing.

So basically, I guess I'd say I hate when people have faith in me and I can't stand that I have a difficult time making decisions. I hate it and family close to me hate this problem as well. I just wish I could stop it.
Raplovehate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Do you have a difficult time making decisions?

oh yeah. reminds me of how i can't socialize with people and play games where you have to pick something. like this one card game "kings". it's a drinking game, and each card will mean something different. for instance, the 10 card means you have to pick a category and people go around saying an answer relevant to it. so someone will pick a category of something, like cheesy 80s movies (by the way, that took me a really long time to come up with LOL), it comes to me and i just sit there with a big "uhh...uhh..." coming out of my mouth. i've been trying to get better with it though. getting food at taco bell or wherever, i'll be at the drive-thru wondering what to get, and i'll just kind of say whatever i happen to see after looking for 10 seconds, or i'd be there all day.
stickdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Don't worry you're not the only man, I have tough time making decisions too. I'm not the type of guy that can make split-second decisions it usually takes me a little while to think of what to do.
LunatikPandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a really hard time making decisions too...I always feel like I'll make the wrong decision and end up regretting it, so i tend to play it safe. With big decisions, I find that making a list of pros and cons really helps, but with split-second decisions, I just tend to go with my gut, because most of the time they usually aren't too important in the grand scheme of things.
Lilium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

yes, being in any position of responsibility scares me. i would rather some one else make the decision because i want to avoid being judged negatively should someone be unhappy with my choice. interestingly, i also have extreme difficulty making decisions for myself. i have been known to get teary eyed in the cereal aisle (and many other places) when i can't make up my mind and whoever i am shopping with is rushing me to hurry up. i get extremely afraid of picking the 'wrong' thing, even if it is just something for myself. the anxiety can be so overwhelming that i am close to tears.
ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah, I hate being in a position of authority. I don't have a hard time making descisions, but it's the people who it will affect is where my problem lies. I guess I don't want people to think negative about me, so I give in to what they want instead of sticking to my decision.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm the same exact way, and if there are decissions I make that I can't change I will often think andd worry about if I made the right decission.
livingnsilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

If you want a fast decision don't ask me. I can literally spend years trying to make some investment decisions and I have a degree in finance and substantial investment knowledge. This simply means that I know enough that I can ponder every trivial detail to death, trivial details that 99% of people either don't even know exist or wouldn't care about if they did.

I always second guess any decision I make, even trivial decisions. I'm the guy who takes forever to decide what alcoholic beverages to buy. It's so exhausting that one wants a drink after that tough decision.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, I have a really hard time making decisions. I always overanalyze every option, thinking too much about what option is the best one to go for. If I make a decision, I'm always pondering and second guessing if that was the right decision to make. I much rather prefer it if somebody makes a decision for me, then I don't really care at all if that was the "right" decision.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yes I have a hard time with that too.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

Yes. About almost everything. I experience paralysis by analysis....

Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

I’m horrible at making decisions. I try weighing the pros and cons, but even that doesn’t seem very foolproof. I want to make the “right” choice, the “perfect” choice. When in reality, all my possible choices are probably far from perfect, and I need to just choose something. Big decisions, like career choices, are extremely difficult.

Even small decisions are much harder for me than they should be. For example, I'm currently trying to clean out my closet, and I can't throw anything out without trying it on first and really making sure I don't want it. If the piece of clothing no longer fits me or is worn out, it makes my decision so much easier! But if there's nothing wrong with it, and it's just a matter of me never wearing it, I have such a hard time getting rid of it. It's ridiculous! If you don't wear it, throw it out! In the past I would end up keeping it and never wearing it... It's easier sometimes to just put off making decisions. I'm getting better with this though. (I already have a huge box of perfectly good clothes that I'm giving away. )

I think it all comes down to putting too much weight on our decisions. If we make the "wrong" choice, it won't be the end of the world, and we can always make another decision to try and fix it. We're all better at dealing with mistakes than we think. I made the wrong career decision, and now I'm starting over. It's not so bad. And really that "wrong" decision was probably right for me at the time. I wouldn't be who I am today had I not made it, so I'm glad I did.
smalltowngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

yes. i have to have my mom make all my decisions.
subzero0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

I can't make decisions if my life depended on it

I usually wait until it gets awkward and panic and pick a random choice and regret it later

In Charlottesville, Virginia but my hometown's Mississauga, Ontario.
vicente is offline   Reply With Quote