X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 02-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do you feel like you're emotionally stunted?

polythene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't but I do feel socially stunted.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Note: majority of typos are from posting on my phone
Noca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

I feel emotionally & socially stunted

My Music Links:
Twitter ~ Youtube ~ Facebook ~ SoundCloud
Canadian Brotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah I might come across the same at times. For some reason I have this part of me that doesn't really care for emotional connection. Friends or family, it doesn't even matter. I feel a bit 'inhuman' if there is such a word and something more of an alien, lol. It bothers me because my Dad's family, who I've been living with since I was 10, are really close knit and they all do a heck of a lot of talking and are openly social. But more recently I just feel like I could operate better on my own if I could, but I have to rely on my dad and stepmom now if I'm to survive so I guess I just have to 'play along' with it for a little while longer. I often ask myself if I'll still maintain regular contact with them once I move out. I really don't know.
hesitation marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Do you think SA really boils down to fear of emotional interaction? In my experience, interacting with others on a purely "technical" level (like, when I need something specific from someone) has never been that difficult. It's the more emotional experiences like dating, telling jokes, and telling personal stories that I dread.
mikailum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikailum View Post
Do you think SA really boils down to fear of emotional interaction? In my experience, interacting with others on a purely "technical" level (like, when I need something specific from someone) has never been that difficult. It's the more emotional experiences like dating, telling jokes, and telling personal stories that I dread.
I think you're onto something here.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hello I'm Captain Obvious, pleasure interacting with you on this anxiety forum!
Old 02-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Im almost certain that I am a sociopath. I do not ever feel like I need or want to talk to people. For the most part though, I think that all focused in on how much I over analyze just about every situation I put myself in. I really want to give people a chance and let them get to know me, but when the time comes for that to happen, I shut down and totally shut out that person. It's really not the way I want to live the rest of my life, but I don't see it changing anytime soon.
ohioisforloners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

I personally have a lot of pent up anger from ever since I was a little child, and it makes me feel a lot of ill will towards people, including friends and family. I'm currently working on it and I think it has a huge effect on my anxiety and my ability to deal with people. I don't know if this is the case for you, but I have always had a fear to express my anger, because my Dad would get extremely angry at me and I hated when he did it, so I didn't want to put others through what I had been through when my dad was angry at me, so I just never expressed my anger, but it was always there, it was just bottled up. I'm not really sure how to deal with it but its something I'm trying to work on right now.

So to answer your question, your defnintitely not a psycho, because I can relate to you. I don't know if our circumstances are the same, but I too have a weak ability to empathize with people at times, and some times I just feel bitterness towards everyone.
I may have pathetically low self-esteem and a weak self-identity, but these are relatively normal problems, but I'm no psycho, neither are you. If you were a psycho you wouldn't even feel guilty that you have these problems, you'd think they were justified for some reason.
n1kkuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Brotha View Post
Ditto.
pita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

I feel the same too. I feel emotionally and socially messed up. I was in a relationship and it just seems like the slightest thing would make me cry. Sometimes I develop a crush on certain people around me and I feel too nervous to talk to them so when I do get up the nerve to crack a joke it is the corniest thing you ever heard. The girls my age would tell me my joke is corny in a funny way that I can appreciate. I feel so stupid when I tell a corny joke to a person that I have a crush on because they look at me with this look like huh?
moochie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikailum View Post
I agree.
Freiheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

when i was 8 i went to a therapist and she said i was on the emotional level of a 6 year old...dunno how she found that out...but i think the gap has become larger over the years...im 25 and feel like 12

Sig Status: God Level
inna sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

For the most part I keep my craziness under wraps, but some days are much worse than others. My emotions don't even make sense to me sometimes. I've always been incredibly sensitive...working on not letting the small things bother me as much.
IllusionOfHappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Brotha View Post
That about covers it.
Graye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

I'm most definitely on some level emotionally stunted. I think it's largely due to my upbringing, my parents were overprotective workaholics, and kept me under lock and key. I am a struggling young adult, trying to function as an adult, but I am highly dependent on my parents still. I am 22, I feel like I am 15 or 16, stuck in that mindset. Although my internal mental maturity level is more like of a 50 year old. I am a lot wiser than most of my peers, I don't get along with them, and do not enjoy going out or partying, I prefer a good book, and discussion about life and more deeper things. I'm just lacking a lot of experience both emotionally and life related, which as made me emotionally studented. I wish I had the ability to share love and receive, but that doesn't seem to be possible. I guess everyone is different on some level, we're all different, coming from different backgrounds, and environments. How can you expect, any human being to mature at the same rate as everyone else? Some will lag behind, others will leap forward, that's what makes us all unique.
SilentHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

Hehe, I remember seeing this thread when googling emotionally stunted. Didn't expect someone would bump it.

To contribute, yes, very emotionally stunted, feel as though I spent so long avoiding any chance of seeming weak and exploitable around others that I never gave myself a chance to feel what I needed to. This didn't mean just emotions, I was so afraid of having any kind of possibly mockable thought that I'd not even be able to choose a favourite colour if need be. Its left a mark on me.
failure9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

Yes I am. I always have it in the back of my mind that I'm doing something wrong, or that my parents would not approve. I feel like a teenager who still needs permission to do things. This is what you get when your parents over protect you, never allow you to make your own mistakes and develop like other people your age.
hydinthebasmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #19 (permalink)

Yes.
TryingMara is offline   Reply With Quote